(OT) Gentoo from a Slackers View
Add Reply
Kaffien
2004-05-21 03:55:27 UTC
This is for White Spirit's question, I've tried as many of the distro's as i can all the mainstream ones and even a few of the not so main stream, gentoo is VERY VERY customizable but it has issues with SATA hard drive unfortunately, and your going to need a good solid day to install it for the first time :) a piece of advice before doing anything print the instalation instuctions first. Once you have it running you have a definate sense of accomplishment. kinda like that first time you installed linux. but you have accomplished something better a linux box thats designed for YOUR system down to the nuts n bolts. bsd is great to but gentoo is still linux.. try gentoo.

Kaffien
Keith Keller
2004-05-21 04:43:19 UTC
Post by Kaffien
This is for White Spirit's question, I've tried as many of the distro's as i
[remaining 607 characters snipped]

Way to go--684 characters on one line! Try to wrap at or near 75
characters or so next time.

- --keith

- --
kkeller-***@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)
Vigil
2004-05-21 15:14:23 UTC
Post by Keith Keller
Way to go--684 characters on one line! Try to wrap at or near 75
characters or so next time.
No. Use a proper reader. And use a proper .sig.
.
Keith Keller
2004-05-21 15:35:02 UTC
Post by Vigil
Use a proper reader.
The RFCs don't mandate choice of reader, but they do mandate
line-wrapping.
Post by Vigil
And use a proper .sig.
The RFCs also provide for using "- -- " as a sig delimiter when using
a PGP signature. Are you going to hop on the Alan Connor/Roger Maynard
bandwagon, then?

- --keith

- --
Vigil
2004-05-21 23:21:05 UTC
Post by Keith Keller
The RFCs don't mandate choice of reader, but they do mandate
line-wrapping.
The law also says you can murder a Scotsman on the first Tuesday of the
month in Canterbury village centre. Or something. You are also not
allowed to smile in public in Idaho. Or something. Should we all follow
these rules or should we adhere to practicality and let people choose how
they want to view information?
Post by Keith Keller
The RFCs also provide for using "- -- " as a sig delimiter when using a
PGP signature. Are you going to hop on the Alan Connor/Roger Maynard
bandwagon, then?
No, I didn't know that.
.
Keith Keller
2004-05-21 23:48:04 UTC
Post by Vigil
Post by Keith Keller
The RFCs don't mandate choice of reader, but they do mandate
line-wrapping.
The law also says you can murder a Scotsman on the first Tuesday of the
month in Canterbury village centre. Or something. You are also not
allowed to smile in public in Idaho. Or something. Should we all follow
these rules or should we adhere to practicality and let people choose how
they want to view information?
Actually, we *should* let people choose how to view information, such as
by using a terminal-based program that we choose not to wrap long
lines. Did you ever stop to think that maybe occasionally one might
*not* want a line wrapped for some reason? Like, say, viewing code with
long lines?

(Though I suppose if you have a line of code longer than 80 characters,
you should probably re-write it. Unless it's Perl.)
Post by Vigil
Post by Keith Keller
The RFCs also provide for using "- -- " as a sig delimiter when using a
PGP signature. Are you going to hop on the Alan Connor/Roger Maynard
bandwagon, then?
No, I didn't know that.
Perhaps you should check into those RFCs again, then, before criticizing.

- --keith

- --
Vigil
2004-05-22 11:23:39 UTC
Post by Keith Keller
Perhaps you should check into those RFCs again, then, before criticizing.
You are right, but all I see is a thirteen line sig because my shitty
reader doesn't recognise '- --' for some reason.
.
h4lphl33t0r
2004-05-25 04:26:55 UTC
Note : I did not cut out the long and annoying PGP signature, on
purpose, as some people seem to find it very important. It might very
well become useful, if not important, at some point, when more than 1%
of the population starts using it.

I personally think that a six character signature (including the space
after the '--') is perfectly sufficient, especially in a context that is
mostly anonymous anyways.
l/2
Keith Keller
2004-05-25 16:02:59 UTC
Post by h4lphl33t0r
To me, this seems to make exactly the point opposite to what you are
trying to prove: by *not* cutting long lines, I am giving the readers
the choice to wrap the line at whatever width they prefer: 70, 75, or
even 120 characters, if they have a wide monitor.
Let's cut this short, eh?

I'll killfile anyone who I believe posts improper lines, and you killfile
anyone who posts what you believe are improper sigs, since it seems like
the bottom line is I'm not going to change my mind, and it seems unlikely
that you will change yours. As an added benefit, you won't see me whine
about people with long lines. Everyone's happy!

- --keith

- --
Alan Hicks
2004-05-21 22:39:44 UTC
In alt.os.linux.slackware, Vigil dared to utter,
Post by Vigil
No. Use a proper reader. And use a proper .sig.
Fuck off dip shit.

*PLONK*

- --
Ecclesiastes 7:5
Vigil
2004-05-21 23:16:23 UTC
Post by Alan Hicks
Fuck off dip shit.
Amusing :-)
.
Jerome Davies
2004-05-22 19:39:39 UTC
Post by Vigil
Post by Alan Hicks
Fuck off dip shit.
Amusing :-)
It's "the song of fools."
Thomas Overgaard
2004-05-21 20:09:22 UTC
Post by Keith Keller
Way to go--684 characters on one line!
And the message was sent from a Canadian IP. Know whatahmean?
--
Thomas O.

Jim
2004-05-21 21:56:07 UTC
Post by Thomas Overgaard
Post by Keith Keller
Way to go--684 characters on one line!
And the message was sent from a Canadian IP. Know whatahmean?
You forgot the "eh?" at the end.
j***@wexfordpress.com
2018-05-11 14:34:58 UTC
Post by Kaffien
This is for White Spirit's question, I've tried as many of the distro's as i can all the mainstream ones and even a few of the not so main stream, gentoo is VERY VERY customizable but it has issues with SATA hard drive unfortunately, and your going to need a good solid day to install it for the first time :) a piece of advice before doing anything print the instalation instuctions first. Once you have it running you have a definate sense of accomplishment. kinda like that first time you installed linux. but you have accomplished something better a linux box thats designed for YOUR system down to the nuts n bolts. bsd is great to but gentoo is still linux.. try gentoo.
Kaffien
Aha. Words from user who has completed the path I am embarking on. I find the instructions for installation give too much information, But I got as far as downloading and burning the "minimal" disk and the "standard 3" disk. What is the relationship between these two items? Do I need any others?

I will follow your advice and try downloading the install instructions. It would be nice if they were already in pdf form. Thanks for your post.

Stay tuned.

John Culleton
Rich
2018-05-11 16:12:05 UTC
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
John Culleton
Replying to a message from 2004, 14 years old now.......
Auric__
2018-05-11 16:58:53 UTC
[snip]
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
Aha. Words from user who has completed the path I am embarking on. I
find the instructions for installation give too much information, But I
got as far as downloading and burning the "minimal" disk and the
"standard 3" disk. What is the relationship between these two items? Do
I need any others?
I will follow your advice and try downloading the install instructions.
It would be nice if they were already in pdf form. Thanks for your post.
Stay tuned.
You're an idiot. As Rich pointed out, that post is ***FOURTEEN FUCKING YEARS
OLD***. And if the instructions are giving you "too much information", then
perhaps you shoud switch to something simpler, like Windows.

Personally, I've never had any trouble installing Slackware. Boot from DVD,
"install here, install everything", walk away. Compile a custom kernel if
necessary, but I haven't had to do that since v10 or v11.
--
I'm gonna staple you to death.