efl boot
Add Reply
jrg
2018-06-19 19:15:23 UTC
Can someone opine on what the best boot method would be for booting a
pure linux efl machine using GPT?
I don't believe I need a boot partition or an MBR at all, do I? I'm
thinking of trying elilo, having had grub and elilo fail once already
due to what apparently is some corruption in my boot partition (/sda1)
which I don't believe I need at all.

Thanks

jrg
Peter Chant
2018-06-19 22:05:18 UTC
Post by jrg
Can someone opine on what the best boot method would be for booting a
pure linux efl machine using GPT?
I don't believe I need a boot partition or an MBR at all, do I?  I'm
thinking of trying elilo, having had grub and elilo fail once already
due to what apparently is some corruption in my boot partition (/sda1)
which I don't believe I need at all.
Not direct experience with what you are doing, and not answering your
question directly, but suggesting an alternative. I had machine with an
awkward config and ended up using syslinux which is now on a usb stick.
Booting off that works fine. Root is an ssd, it is only the boot
config, kernel and initrd on the stick.

Pete
jrg
2018-06-20 00:00:21 UTC
Post by Peter Chant
Post by jrg
Can someone opine on what the best boot method would be for booting a
pure linux efl machine using GPT?
I don't believe I need a boot partition or an MBR at all, do I? I'm
thinking of trying elilo, having had grub and elilo fail once already
due to what apparently is some corruption in my boot partition (/sda1)
which I don't believe I need at all.
Not direct experience with what you are doing, and not answering your
question directly, but suggesting an alternative. I had machine with an
awkward config and ended up using syslinux which is now on a usb stick.
Booting off that works fine. Root is an ssd, it is only the boot
config, kernel and initrd on the stick.
Pete
Thanks, Pete, but I've looked at syslinux. I want to have kernel
choices once I get 1 to work. I think the problem may be in the VFAT
format linking to /boot/efi. After eliloconfig, /sda1 contains 3 items
- ?efl ?grub and *.keep, all empty. There is a broken link in /boot,
which is where elilo put the kernel files and linked config-huge-4.14.44
to /boot/efl. Only config is config-huge-4.14.44.x64 - something here
is all wet. I remember reading somewhere that linux has problems
linking to VFAT files - anyone know of any truth in this?
Peter Chant
2018-06-20 18:17:41 UTC
Post by jrg
Thanks, Pete, but I've looked at syslinux. I want to have kernel
choices once I get 1 to work. I think the problem may be in the VFAT
format linking to /boot/efi. After eliloconfig, /sda1 contains 3 items
- ?efl ?grub and *.keep, all empty. There is a broken link in /boot,
which is where elilo put the kernel files and linked config-huge-4.14.44
to /boot/efl. Only config is config-huge-4.14.44.x64 - something here
is all wet. I remember reading somewhere that linux has problems
linking to VFAT files - anyone know of any truth in this?
Hmm. Since I upgraded at the weekend I now have a UEFI machine, but it
seems to support legacy boot. However, my syslinux workaround for
issues with my last machine basically just worked for this one.

I'll probably need to look into UEFI - even getting legacy boot to work
on my mother's machine several years ago was a pain.

Pete
jrg
2018-06-20 20:50:31 UTC
Post by Peter Chant
Post by jrg
[...]
This efi crap is driving me nutso. Best I can say is I don't feel like
the Lone Ranger after bumbling through this. Just the variations in
file tree structures offered up all over is mind boggling. I d/l'd a
new install iso for current and the install just stops midway through
with no real reason given, Also, I've partitioned and formatted my disk
with the appropriate fs - vfat for efi, swap, ext4 for filesystem (/) -
and the installer can't find any "linux filesystems" and then formats
efi as vfat 9already done) and moves on.

back to linux questions...