Speech slowdown playback utility in Linux?
Martha Adams
2018-04-06 05:20:29 UTC
Years ago, pre-computer days, I was into some speech transcription
work using a device that played back recorded speech, but the
playback sound was stretched out somehow in time, without distortion.
This with an option to replay phrases, was *very* useful.

Now is about 25 years later. Is any such playback resource available
for Linux? ??

Thanks -- Martha Adams [Fri 2018 Apr 06]
Rich
2018-04-06 13:50:44 UTC
Post by Martha Adams
Years ago, pre-computer days, I was into some speech transcription
work using a device that played back recorded speech, but the
playback sound was stretched out somehow in time, without distortion.
This with an option to replay phrases, was *very* useful.
Now is about 25 years later. Is any such playback resource available
for Linux? ??
Not sure if there is an exact fit, but there is the 'tempo' filter in
the 'sox' tool (http://sox.sourceforge.net/) which can speed up or slow
down audio without causing a pitch change at the same time.

I've only used it to speedup podcasts where the speaker is droning on
much too slowly, so I can't comment directly on how well it works to
slow down speech below the recorded rate.
root
2018-04-06 14:00:35 UTC
Post by Martha Adams
Years ago, pre-computer days, I was into some speech transcription
work using a device that played back recorded speech, but the
playback sound was stretched out somehow in time, without distortion.
This with an option to replay phrases, was *very* useful.
Now is about 25 years later. Is any such playback resource available
for Linux? ??
Thanks -- Martha Adams [Fri 2018 Apr 06]
I was recently informed that the utility sox can both speed up and
slow down recorded speech. sox first converts the file into a
.wave format which can be converted to, say, mp3.

Here is the sox command:

sox InputFile test.wave tempo Factor

In my case InputFile was some .mp3, test.wave is the
intermediate output file, and Factor is the speed
change. I used 1.3 to speed up speech. To test
the slowdown I used 0.5 and the result was intelligible
but agonizingly slow. Experiment with Factor and see
if you get something you like.
King Beowulf
2018-04-28 02:27:57 UTC
Years ago, pre-computer days, I was into some speech transcription work
using a device that played back recorded speech, but the playback sound
was stretched out somehow in time, without distortion.
This with an option to replay phrases, was *very* useful.
Now is about 25 years later. Is any such playback resource available
for Linux? ??
Thanks -- Martha Adams [Fri 2018 Apr 06]
Besides sox, meantioned in this thread, a good GUI program is audacity
(available on Slackbuilds.org). Besides changing playback speed, you can
also apply noise reduction etc to make the audio easier to hear. I do
this with voicemails when I can't quite make make out what is being said
(old I guess...).

You can also explore voice-to-text (speech recognition). Choices for
Linux though are still a bit slim. Slackbuild.org has simon, julius that
might be worth exploring.