disappointing to see -current still has no rc.inet1 option for ipv6
noel
2017-11-29 11:53:26 UTC
looks like need to carry over our home brew rc.ipv6 script, slackware be
about the only popular distro not to have it configurable "out of the
box". sheesh, its nearly 2018 and looks like nexst release still wont do
it
Dan C
2017-11-30 02:58:44 UTC
Post by noel
looks like need to carry over our home brew rc.ipv6 script, slackware be
about the only popular distro not to have it configurable "out of the
box". sheesh, its nearly 2018 and looks like nexst release still wont
do it
What does this ipv6 script do? How complicated can it be?

Do you really need ipv6? Would you mind sharing the script, just so I can
see what it's all about?
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he downed his twelfth Guinness.
Thanks, Obama: Loading Image...
noel
2017-12-03 14:19:39 UTC
Post by Dan C
Post by noel
looks like need to carry over our home brew rc.ipv6 script, slackware
be about the only popular distro not to have it configurable "out of
the box". sheesh, its nearly 2018 and looks like nexst release still
wont do it
What does this ipv6 script do? How complicated can it be?
its very simple script, its adds the ipv6 addresses into the system and
adds a default route
Post by Dan C
Do you really need ipv6?
Since the world has run out of ipv4 address space and has already started
the serious move to ipv6 (few years ago), yeah, it is kinda important if
you want to be exist on the net.

most my servers see about 40% ipv6 traffic, that will only increase
dramatically in next couple years, as only last year they saw 25%, thats
15% increase in just one year.
Chris Vine
2017-12-04 22:05:43 UTC
On 4 Dec 2017 00:19:39 +1000
Post by noel
Post by Dan C
Do you really need ipv6?
Since the world has run out of ipv4 address space and has already
started the serious move to ipv6 (few years ago), yeah, it is kinda
important if you want to be exist on the net.
most my servers see about 40% ipv6 traffic, that will only increase
dramatically in next couple years, as only last year they saw 25%,
thats 15% increase in just one year.
That doesn't require a script. In all ipv6 systems I have seen the
router will provide stateless address auto-configuration. That is much
the better way to do it as it ensures address uniqueness consistent
ipv6 privacy extensions. Leave it to your router.

You only need to intervene if you want to give yourself a site-local
address on the local network.

Chris
noel
2017-12-11 12:41:58 UTC
Post by Chris Vine
Post by noel
Post by Dan C
Do you really need ipv6?
Since the world has run out of ipv4 address space and has already
started the serious move to ipv6 (few years ago), yeah, it is kinda
important if you want to be exist on the net.
most my servers see about 40% ipv6 traffic, that will only increase
dramatically in next couple years, as only last year they saw 25%,
thats 15% increase in just one year.
That doesn't require a script. In all ipv6 systems I have seen the
router will provide stateless address auto-configuration. That is much
the better way to do it as it ensures address uniqueness consistent ipv6
privacy extensions. Leave it to your router.
You only need to intervene if you want to give yourself a site-local
address on the local network.
Chris
Uhg, like hell, not when you have hundreds of servers, and often multiple
addresses per server, even if they were desktops id never use auto
config, that was had out 10 years ago.
Robby Workman
2018-01-03 07:25:28 UTC
Post by noel
Post by Chris Vine
Post by noel
Post by Dan C
[...]
Well, it's on the TODO, and there's a couple of folks helping
with maybe getting something going there.

There will (hopefully) eventually be an "ipv6" branch there with
working (to some extent) code, but in the meantime, the most you
might see are some "$user-ipv6" branches that are posted for
review and discussion.

-RW