Penguin's progress.
Martha Adams
2018-02-10 17:56:45 UTC
I'm sure everyone here has read Microsoft's expertly larded/poisoned
text which not so subtly, tries to provoke an attitude that anything
but Windows is of junior quality and usefulness. Of course, these
days when all the world's top supercomputers run Linux and none of
them Windows, one can reasonably question that, and maybe Microsoft
is (beginning to) notice this. And in their way, respond. I see it
in Ars Technica.

Namely, a piece by Peter Bright, "Windows Defender to start removing
"optimizer" scareware," dated 2018 Jan 31 there. It looks to me like
Microsoft has figured out they aren't one of the Big Boys any more,
and are infusing a little reality-based rationality into some of their
PR. Scareware out, common sense in.

But I think they can't catch-up to Linux. I wonder what they'll do
over the longer run, to stay in business? ??

Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Sat 2018 Feb 10]
The Real Bev
2018-02-10 18:56:55 UTC
Post by Martha Adams
I'm sure everyone here has read Microsoft's expertly larded/poisoned
text which not so subtly, tries to provoke an attitude that anything
but Windows is of junior quality and usefulness. Of course, these
days when all the world's top supercomputers run Linux and none of
them Windows, one can reasonably question that, and maybe Microsoft
is (beginning to) notice this. And in their way, respond. I see it
in Ars Technica.
Namely, a piece by Peter Bright, "Windows Defender to start removing
"optimizer" scareware," dated 2018 Jan 31 there. It looks to me like
Microsoft has figured out they aren't one of the Big Boys any more,
and are infusing a little reality-based rationality into some of their
PR. Scareware out, common sense in.
But I think they can't catch-up to Linux. I wonder what they'll do
over the longer run, to stay in business? ??
Most medical stuff that I've seen runs under windows. The imaging
people are good about giving me CDs of X-rays/MRIs etc., but they
require a windows-based COMPLEX viewer (included on the CD) to see them.

With doctors being required to computerize their systems (every single
'patient portal' I've signed up for [and each doctor has a DIFFERENT
one] has sucked badly), I doubt that Gates will go hungry.
--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't need instructions, I have a hammer."