slackware curren
Ralph Spitzner
2018-02-14 16:25:25 UTC
Is it me, or is rc.dovecot missing from the shipped rc.M ?

-rasp
Eef Hartman
2018-02-14 18:07:05 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Is it me, or is rc.dovecot missing from the shipped rc.M ?
The "rc.M.new" in sysvinit-scripts-2.1 has the following passage:

# Start Dovecot:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.dovecot ]; then
/etc/rc.d/rc.dovecot start
fi

The rc.dovecot script itself only gets installed when you did install
the dovecot-2.3.0 package too.
Did you forget to move the rc.M.new to rc.M ??
Ralph Spitzner
2018-02-15 13:42:15 UTC
Hmm, ok, probably had a old 'rc.M.new' from some previous install left....

-rasp

(maybe the installer shoud just append a .new, so the one with the
most .new's to it is the new one :-) )
Eef Hartman
2018-02-15 15:31:47 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
(maybe the installer shoud just append a .new, so the one with the
most .new's to it is the new one :-) )
The .new file should always be overwritten by the latest installed
package containing that file, as its a hard filename IN the package.
The doinst.sh script, post-install, will then do one of three things:
- mv it to the filename without .new, if that's not there yet
- rm it, when it's identical to the file already there, or
- leave the .new copy for the admin to consider...

So there never will be more than two, the "real" filename and optional
the one with .new appended (which 2 then are not identical).
After every install/update I go and look for .new files to see "what's
changed" and do I want that? If not I remove the .new file (mostly
because my own version is too much customized to move the .new one
over). Sometimes I do change my own version with new code from the
.new one (and THEN remove the latter).
Ralph Spitzner
2018-02-16 11:54:22 UTC
Eef Hartman wrote on 02/15/2018 04:31 PM:

[...]
Post by Eef Hartman
over). Sometimes I do change my own version with new code from the
.new one (and THEN remove the latter).
Of course, you're right :-)

I did a clean install of -current and _THEN_ rsync'ed over etc from the
backup (which had a rc.M.new from 14.2), so that's where it came from

-rasp