Fatdog and sticky keys
Mike Easter
2018-03-24 23:57:49 UTC
Fatdog64 is an openbox file manager system based on slackware like puppy
slacko. Normally if a DE doesn't have sticky keys in accessibility such
as most LXDE systems, then I install xkbset and use it to set sticky
keys, but I can't find an xkbset for slackware including at
slackbuilds.org and others including pkgs.org and its slackware pkgs links.

I found the source package xkbset-0.5.tar.gz. It contains:

config_getargs create_getargs main.c README xkbset-gui
config_print create_print Makefile TODO xkbset.h
COPYRIGHT create_usage misc.c VERSIONS xkbset.man

I don't have experience with making things. How do I use that to make
the default version of xkbset? The readme doesn't say; it just talks
about the components mouse-, sticky-, slow-, and bounce-keys which i
know about from having used xkbset on other systems. Fatdog has
slackware-related package handling tools in its repos and gcc. It wants
.txz files to install.
Mike Easter
Rich
2018-03-25 03:29:01 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
[...]
There is a "Makefile" there. You might try typing "make" and see what
happens. Might work, might not work, you won't know until you try.
Mike Easter
2018-03-25 21:11:11 UTC
There is a "Makefile" there. You might try typing "make" and see what
happens. Might work, might not work, you won't know until you try.
I've worked out a few bumps in the make attempts. My current problem is
about Xlib.h which some people have solved by installing a libX11-devel
but I can't find such for Slackware.
Mike Easter
Rich
2018-03-25 21:28:56 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Rich
There is a "Makefile" there. You might try typing "make" and see what
happens. Might work, might not work, you won't know until you try.
I've worked out a few bumps in the make attempts. My current problem is
about Xlib.h which some people have solved by installing a libX11-devel
but I can't find such for Slackware.
Slackware does not have the silly "regular" and "*-devel" package split
of many other distros. At least with the standard packages on the
Slackware install disk, if you install package X, you get everything,
"devel" and all, up front. No need to go hunting for extra stuff just
to compile a program.

If course, to have Xlib.h present, you have to install the X windows
system from the X portion of the Slackware install disk.
Rinaldi J. Montessi
2018-03-26 03:13:31 UTC
There is a "Makefile" there.  You might try typing "make" and see what
happens.  Might work, might not work, you won't know until you try.
I've worked out a few bumps in the make attempts.  My current problem is
about Xlib.h which some people have solved by installing a libX11-devel
but I can't find such for Slackware.
$ slackpkg file-search Xlib.h

Looking for Xlib.h in package list. Please wait... DONE

The list below shows the packages that contains "Xlib\.h" file.

[ installed ] - libX11-1.6.5-x86_64-1

Rinaldi
--
"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their
home."
Convention, 1977
Mike Easter
2018-03-26 10:40:46 UTC
Post by Rinaldi J. Montessi
Post by Mike Easter
I've worked out a few bumps in the make attempts. My current problem
is about Xlib.h which some people have solved by installing a
libX11-devel but I can't find such for Slackware.
$ slackpkg file-search Xlib.h
Looking for Xlib.h in package list. Please wait... DONE
The list below shows the packages that contains "Xlib\.h" file.
[ installed ] - libX11-1.6.5-x86_64-1
Thanks for the input.

I was working on fatdog live and shut it down last night to look at some
things on the same hardware with puppy xenial based on Ub with JWM
instead of openbox. Now I'm back in live fatdog catching up with where
I was. slapt-get -u then -i lxterminal to get a term I can use easily
with the clipboard then -i make and gcc. It already has libX11 1.6.5.
This time I'll make some notes about how I solve the make errors.

First error needs perl. Installed. Next error need libcloog,
installed. Next libisl.

Then I'm back to:

# make
cc -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/usr/X11R6/lib -c getargs.c
In file included from getargs.c:31:0:
xkbset.h:30:22: fatal error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
#include <X11/Xlib.h>
^
compilation terminated.
Makefile:17: recipe for target 'getargs.o' failed
make: *** [getargs.o] Error 1

... because my Xlib.h is in another place.

/usr/include/X11/Xlib.h
Post by Rinaldi J. Montessi
Can be more easily solved by creating a symbolic link: cd /usr ln -s
. X11R6
then all the subdirs of X11R6 will be found in /usr
So I

# cd /usr ln -s

but I still have the same problem;

# make
cc -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/usr/X11R6/lib -c getargs.c
In file included from getargs.c:31:0:
xkbset.h:30:22: fatal error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
#include <X11/Xlib.h>
^
compilation terminated.
Makefile:17: recipe for target 'getargs.o' failed
make: *** [getargs.o] Error 1

So, then I looked at Gslapt again to see where it said the Xlib.h was
supposed to be as above, but when I looked in /usr/include there was no
X11 directory there. So I reinstalled libX11 1.6.5 and then the X11
directory showed up with Xlib.h.

Then I get:

# make
cc -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/usr/X11R6/lib -c getargs.c
In file included from xkbset.h:30:0,
from getargs.c:31:
/usr/include/X11/Xlib.h:38:23: fatal error: sys/types.h: No such file or
directory
#include <sys/types.h>
^
compilation terminated.
Makefile:17: recipe for target 'getargs.o' failed
make: *** [getargs.o] Error 1

So, now what do I do?
Mike Easter
Mike Easter
2018-03-26 18:04:06 UTC
fatal error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
#include <sys/types.h>
Someone said that file is supposed to be installed by glib.c but the
/usr/include doesn't have a sys directory which the glibc says that it
installed in the list of glibc files that glslapt says it installed.

And, glibc has a 'lock' in its installed icon in gslapt which says that
it is 'installed, excluded' and won't let me reinstall it.
Mike Easter
Mike Easter
2018-03-26 19:03:51 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
fatal error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
#include <sys/types.h>
Someone said that file is supposed to be installed by glib.c but the
/usr/include doesn't have a sys directory which the glibc says that it
installed in the list of glibc files that glslapt says it installed.
Mangled syntax;

Gslapt says glib.c is installed and says the installed files include:

/usr/include/sys/types.h

... but my /usr/include/ has no /sys directory (just like it had no
expected X11 dir) BUT...

I don't know how to reinstall glib.c because gslapt's icon for glib.c
says "installed, excluded" which prohibits me checking it to reinstall.
Mike Easter
Doug713705
2018-03-26 19:26:34 UTC
Le 26-03-2018, Mike Easter nous expliquait dans
alt.os.linux.slackware
Post by Mike Easter
... but my /usr/include/ has no /sys directory (just like it had no
expected X11 dir) BUT...
I don't know how to reinstall glib.c because gslapt's icon for glib.c
says "installed, excluded" which prohibits me checking it to reinstall.
Check if glibc is installed using

# slackpkg search glibc

This should show you a list of glibc-* packages (5 packages).

All of them must be marked as installed.

Install eventual missing packages (marked as uninstalled) using:

# slackpkg install <package name>
--
Mais l'ombre des plaisirs s'enfuit
Toujours plus loin vers l'inconnu.
-- H.F. Thiéfaine, La môme kaléïdoscope
Mike Easter
2018-03-26 19:30:32 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
/usr/include/sys/types.h
... but my /usr/include/ has no /sys directory (just like it had no
expected X11 dir) BUT...
I don't know how to reinstall glib.c because gslapt's icon for glib.c
says "installed, excluded" which prohibits me checking it to reinstall.
Oops. I found where I could remove the excluded condition from glib.c
so then I reinstalled it and now nothing works, such as ls or glsapt or
whatever. I need to reboot that live system and start over; or consider
abandoning this project.

The whole reason I was messing with fatdog was because that was the
linux the Win user had chosen to download so I needed to see what it had
that could help him with teskdisk or ddrescue and he had already used
some smartctl and fdisk options.

Fatdog can't really be very interesting to slackware folks anyway :-)
Mike Easter
Sylvain Robitaille
2018-03-26 20:31:17 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Oops. I found where I could remove the excluded condition from
glib.c so then I reinstalled it and now nothing works, such as ls
or glsapt or whatever. I need to reboot that live system and start
over; or consider abandoning this project.
You're doing this the hard way ... stick to using Slackware's own
package management tools and forget about "gslapt", "slaptget" and
all that ... The files you were having trouble with are part of a
standard Slackware distribution:

: charlotte[syl] ~; grep -rlsw Xlib.h /var/adm/packages/
/var/adm/packages/libX11-1.6.4-i586-1_slack14.2
: charlotte[syl] ~; grep -rlsw sys/types.h /var/adm/packages/
/var/adm/packages/glibc-2.23-i586-4_slack14.2

To install a package that doesn't come with and that you can't
find an existing slackbuild script for, grab a simple slackbuild
script that you understand from http://www.slackbuilds.org/ and use
that as a starting point to create a script for the new package.
Once you have it working, consider contributing the result back to
http://www.slackbuilds.org/.

You'll find it's a lot easier than trying to use the additional
package managment "tools" you've been relying on ...

I hope that helps.
Sylvain Robitaille ***@encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Mike Easter
2018-03-26 21:49:22 UTC
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
To install a package that doesn't come with and that you can't
find an existing slackbuild script for, grab a simple slackbuild
script that you understand from http://www.slackbuilds.org/ and use
that as a starting point to create a script for the new package.
Once you have it working, consider contributing the result back to
http://www.slackbuilds.org/.
You'll find it's a lot easier than trying to use the additional
package managment "tools" you've been relying on ...
If I'm understanding your suggestion properly, I should boot a 'real'
slackware environment, which would include such as one of the live
systems such as "a slimmed-down XFCE ISO (700 MB) with XDM as the
graphical login manager. It fits on a CDROM medium or a 1 GB USB stick;"
- then learn to write a slackbuild for the xkbset source, then use that
to write an xkbset.tvx and see if it installs and works on the live
slackware and fatdog, and if so contribute it back.
Mike Easter
Rich
2018-03-27 01:41:47 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
[...]
Are you trying to compile code from a 'live' boot?

If so that may be your problem right there. I could see the developers
of a 'live' system stripping almost everything they consider
'non-essential' from their 'live' environments, which would also
include most dev. tools and all of the header files.

Get yourself a copy of VirtualBox, and do an actual install to a VB VM.
Then try compiling the code in that VM, not from a 'live' boot.
Sylvain Robitaille
2018-03-27 18:15:36 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
If I'm understanding your suggestion properly, I should boot a 'real'
slackware environment, which would include such as one of the live
systems such as "a slimmed-down XFCE ISO (700 MB) with XDM as the
graphical login manager. ...
Hrmmm... I think I either missed that you are working on a "live"
installation, rather than a standard (read "permanent") one, or by
the time I typed up my reply, I had forgotten! As was suggested in
an earlier message, that very likely is the cause of your difficulty,
and you'll most certainly have an easier time running on a standard
installation, whether on a physical system or a virtual one.