Google messing with Firefox?
Add Reply
Martha Adams
2018-07-01 04:47:04 UTC
Getting Google News has become difficult lately, and some of the culprit
seems to be a script somewhere in there. I was able to see some of
this, the script seems to run from lines 1 to about 7300 (!!) but
myself being not a programmer of any variety, I couldn't make out what
it was all about. I looked for how to save a copy of it but I couldn't
see how to do that.

Does anyone know what Google is up to with their script, in addition to
majorly intrusive peering into what some user (me!) is reading? And,
how to alleviate the nuisance of that monster, as in get it out of
there? ??

And by the way, *what is Google up to* with that, anyhow? ??

I'm running Slackware64 14.1, updated recently; and a Firefox in it.

Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Sun 2018 Jly 01]
Joe Rosevear
2018-07-01 10:39:22 UTC
Martha Adams <***@mhada.info> wrote:

[snip]
Post by Martha Adams
And by the way, *what is Google up to* with that, anyhow? ??
I'm running Slackware64 14.1, updated recently; and a Firefox in it.
Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Sun 2018 Jly 01]
Yes, I went to news.google.com using Firefox and got stalled by a
script. Of course, I selected "stop script". No I don't know what
they are up to, but it is no doubt something annoying.

Perhaps, the script generates the web page?

Give that programmer a cookie!

By the way I tried using my other Internet browser, Chromium, and
Google news works fine. However, I'm using Slackware 14.2, so I'm
using a different version of Chromium.

-Joe
Joe Rosevear
2018-07-01 10:42:11 UTC
Post by Joe Rosevear
[snip]
Post by Martha Adams
And by the way, *what is Google up to* with that, anyhow? ??
I'm running Slackware64 14.1, updated recently; and a Firefox in it.
Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Sun 2018 Jly 01]
Yes, I went to news.google.com using Firefox and got stalled by a
script. Of course, I selected "stop script". No I don't know what
they are up to, but it is no doubt something annoying.
Perhaps, the script generates the web page?
Give that programmer a cookie!
By the way I tried using my other Internet browser, Chromium, and
Google news works fine. However, I'm using Slackware 14.2, so I'm
using a different version of Chromium.
-Joe
I forgot the link:

http://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/people/alien/slackbuilds/chromium/pkg/14.1