Slackware 14.2 PDF reader that can print E-Trade statements?
Add Reply
Robert Riches
2018-09-05 16:27:46 UTC
Is there a PDF reader on Slackware 14.2 (other than phone-home
acroread) that can print E-Trade account statements? I tried
xpdf, but it has one of two symptoms: 1) print job is submitted,
two blank pages print, then print job hangs until deleted; 2)
print job is never submitted. (... not that I'm a fan of
E-Trade; my employer chose them for company-sponsored stock
plans.)

Thanks.
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
Okular can read the Etrade statements.
Robert Riches
2018-09-06 02:44:36 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
Is there a PDF reader on Slackware 14.2 (other than phone-home
acroread) that can print E-Trade account statements? I tried
xpdf, but it has one of two symptoms: 1) print job is submitted,
two blank pages print, then print job hangs until deleted; 2)
print job is never submitted. (... not that I'm a fan of
E-Trade; my employer chose them for company-sponsored stock
plans.)
Thanks.
Okular can read the Etrade statements.
Thank you for the follow-up suggestion to try Okular. I'll have
to remember to try Okular when I encounter future PDF issues.
Yes, Okular can read Etrade statements. However, when I tried to
print the statement, Print-Preview showed all 8 pages blank
except for a sliced-off 'O' or 'Q' logo in one corner. An
attempt to print the first two pages resulted in one blank page
and a hung print job.
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
John Forkosh
2018-09-06 13:47:58 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
Post by root
Post by Robert Riches
[...]
That's strange (sounds strange to me, anyway). I've found okular
to be terrific for all my pdf needs, and thought "root"'s suggestion
would likely work. But seems to have failed pretty miserably.

With that in mind, maybe try the following "experiment".
You should have ImageMagick's convert already installed with 14.2.
So try
convert etrade_stmt.pdf etrade_stmt.ps
converting the pdf to postscript, and then use ghostview
gv etrade_stmt.ps
as a viewer to view it. Does that look okay????
If yes, try printing it, especially if you have a natively
ps-capable printer, like a mid-range Brother. Or there are
a variety of "indirect" ways to print ps files, usually based
on ppd (or other) drivers for lower-end printers.

In any case, convert might likely rasterize any "goofy" pdf
stuff, after which rendering it should be pretty straightforward.
And will probably take you less time to try than it took me to
type this. So what happened???....
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
Robert Riches
2018-09-07 02:50:56 UTC
Post by John Forkosh
Post by Robert Riches
Post by root
Post by Robert Riches
[...]
Interesting results happened via convert to PS and gv to view it.
Convert spewed a few dozen repetitions of this sequence:

**** Error: can't process embedded font stream,
attempting to load the font using its name.
Output may be incorrect.

In gv, the background was black, and most of the text was white,
when it should have been the other way around. Also, most of the
text was very garbled, with the smaller text looking like glyphs
consisting of random bits. It definitely looks like something
seriously wrong with fonts or font handling.

Thank you for that suggestion, though. It was an interesting
exercise.
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
2018-09-05 17:04:42 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
Is there a PDF reader on Slackware 14.2 (other than phone-home
acroread) that can print E-Trade account statements? I tried
xpdf, but it has one of two symptoms: 1) print job is submitted,
two blank pages print, then print job hangs until deleted; 2)
print job is never submitted. (... not that I'm a fan of
E-Trade; my employer chose them for company-sponsored stock
plans.)
It is possible that both symptoms above are caused by the print driver
and not by xpdf.

What happens if you try to convert the etrade pdf's to G4 tiffs of
suitable paper size using ghostscript?

Do you get blank images or valid output when doing that conversion?

Also, if something is weird with the pdf's, you might try a pdf->pdf
conversion using ghostscript which might also clean things up.
jrg
2018-09-05 20:55:22 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
Is there a PDF reader on Slackware 14.2 (other than phone-home
acroread) that can print E-Trade account statements? I tried
xpdf, but it has one of two symptoms: 1) print job is submitted,
two blank pages print, then print job hangs until deleted; 2)
print job is never submitted. (... not that I'm a fan of
E-Trade; my employer chose them for company-sponsored stock
plans.)
It is possible that both symptoms above are caused by the print driver
and not by xpdf.
What happens if you try to convert the etrade pdf's to G4 tiffs of
suitable paper size using ghostscript?
Do you get blank images or valid output when doing that conversion?
Also, if something is weird with the pdf's, you might try a pdf->pdf
conversion using ghostscript which might also clean things up.
And maybe check the cups pdf filters as well - been known to have issues
- assuming he's using cups..
Eli the Bearded
2018-09-05 21:02:34 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
Is there a PDF reader on Slackware 14.2 (other than phone-home
acroread) that can print E-Trade account statements? I tried
xpdf, but it has one of two symptoms: 1) print job is submitted,
I use evince for my difficult PDF print jobs these days. I still prefer
xpdf for on-screen reading though. I don't have experience trying to
print statements from Etrade. I briefly had company-sponsored holdings
there (maybe for a year), but I moved everything to Fidelity as soon
as I could.

My "difficult" PDFs have been etsy generated stuff, including things
for the 4"x6" label printer. Sometimes the xpdf ones just look off,
I think it is using different fonts for the print.
Post by Robert Riches
I, too, post from a real address.

Elijah
------
has been using non-alphanumeric email addresses for over two decades
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2018-09-05 21:51:58 UTC
Is there a PDF reader on Slackware 14.2 (other than phone-home acroread)
that can print E-Trade account statements? I tried xpdf, but it has one
of two symptoms: 1) print job is submitted,
two blank pages print, then print job hangs until deleted; 2) print job
is never submitted. (... not that I'm a fan of E-Trade; my employer
chose them for company-sponsored stock plans.)
Have you considered just using the command line: 'lpr file.pdf' ?
Works for me.
Robert Riches
2018-09-06 02:49:01 UTC
Post by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Is there a PDF reader on Slackware 14.2 (other than phone-home acroread)
that can print E-Trade account statements? I tried xpdf, but it has one
of two symptoms: 1) print job is submitted,
two blank pages print, then print job hangs until deleted; 2) print job
is never submitted. (... not that I'm a fan of E-Trade; my employer
chose them for company-sponsored stock plans.)
Have you considered just using the command line: 'lpr file.pdf' ?
Works for me.
That worked rather well. At least with my printer, it chopped
off about half of the footer line on each of the pages that were
in landscape orientation, but that's not a significant problem.
The other tiny downside is direct 'lpr ...' does not (at least
that I'm aware of) allow for printing specific pages or ranges of
pages. In this case, it's not a major problem to just recycle
the two "This page intentionally left blank" pages.

Many thanks to all the others who also replied. I filed the
other suggestions away in case I ever need them in the future.
For now, nothing else beats the simplicity of direct 'lpr ...'.

Thank you.
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2018-09-06 17:02:23 UTC
Post by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Have you considered just using the command line: 'lpr file.pdf' ?
Works for me.
That worked rather well. At least with my printer, it chopped off about
half of the footer line on each of the pages that were in landscape
orientation, but that's not a significant problem. The other tiny
downside is direct 'lpr ...' does not (at least that I'm aware of) allow
for printing specific pages or ranges of pages. In this case, it's not
a major problem to just recycle the two "This page intentionally left
blank" pages.
For landscape, use '-o orientation-requested=5' option. For the other,
use '-o page-ranges=page-list'. See 'man lpr'. Seriously.

I recently needed to print a jpg of a barcode to get in & out of the
Vancouver cruise ship terminal. This command did the scaling and
rotation and made it easy. 3 tries. And people put down the cmdline.
Robert Riches
2018-09-07 02:56:27 UTC
Post by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Post by Zaphod Beeblebrox
[...]
Thank you for the suggestion. I was not aware lpr has such
advanced options. The page-ranges option is definitely useful.
Direct lpr without any options already did proper detection of
orientation. It was just a tiny sliver of one line of text that
was cut off with direct lpr.

For the record, doing 'man lpr' shows the existence of the '-o'
option but nothing about what options are available. The usual
'-h' and '--help' options are even less informative. Now that I
know about those options, a web search is the next logical step.

Thank you again.
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
Eli the Bearded
2018-09-07 06:27:49 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
For the record, doing 'man lpr' shows the existence of the '-o'
option but nothing about what options are available. The usual
'-h' and '--help' options are even less informative. Now that I
know about those options, a web search is the next logical step.
https://www.cups.org/doc/options.html#OPTIONS

Short answer is the options with the -o flag to lpr vary from printer to
printer, kinda like how the options with the -o flag to mount vary from
filesystem to filesystem.

Elijah
------
printers: should be simple, aren't