Slackpkg and wpa_supplicant-2.6-x86_64-1_slack14.2
root
2017-10-21 21:00:01 UTC
Something happened on four machines on which I used slackpkg to upgrade
the wpa_supplicant package. On each machine I did the following
slackpkg udate
slackpkg upgrade wpa_supplicant

Which resulted in migrating from 2.5 to 2.6 version of wpa.

The package contents list these entries for /etc:

etc/
etc/dbus-1/
etc/dbus-1/system.d/
etc/dbus-1/system.d/dbus-wpa_supplicant.conf
etc/logrotate.d/
etc/logrotate.d/wpa_supplicant.new
etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.new

However there were other changes made to files in the /etc
directory. For one, the /etc/profile was changed in all
four machines. In at least one of the machines inittab was
changed.

I didn't expect that to happen and I invite any explanations
for what happened.

Thanks.
Henrik Carlqvist
2017-10-22 10:37:57 UTC
However there were other changes made to files in the /etc directory.
Slackware packages do not only contain files which will be put on your
system. They also contain a script ( install/doinst.sh ) which can do
anything including altering files on your system. You can study those
scripts in /var/log/scripts where you will find one file for each package
having such a script.

Some packages also have another script meant to be run interactively
during Slackware installation. Those scripts can be studied in
/var/log/setup

regards Henrik
hc351(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
***@localhost ***@localhost
Eef Hartman
2017-10-22 17:05:43 UTC
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
Slackware packages do not only contain files which will be put on your
system. They also contain a script ( install/doinst.sh ) which can do
anything including altering files on your system. You can study those
scripts in /var/log/scripts where you will find one file for each
package having such a script.
But the one for wpa_supplicant doesn't do anything unexpected (it only
moves the .new files into place when needed), so the problems the OP
reported must come from the usage of slackpkg (I never used that,
I always built my own mirror first and then use upgradepkg on that,
so I do not know what i.e. "slackpkg update" exactly does) or
something else he does.
root
2017-10-22 17:30:52 UTC
Post by Eef Hartman
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
Slackware packages do not only contain files which will be put on your
system. They also contain a script ( install/doinst.sh ) which can do
anything including altering files on your system. You can study those
scripts in /var/log/scripts where you will find one file for each
package having such a script.
But the one for wpa_supplicant doesn't do anything unexpected (it only
moves the .new files into place when needed), so the problems the OP
reported must come from the usage of slackpkg (I never used that,
I always built my own mirror first and then use upgradepkg on that,
so I do not know what i.e. "slackpkg update" exactly does) or
something else he does.
It is/was my understanding that slackpkg update just reads what
packages I have, and the current versions of packages available.
As the stuff streamed by that is what it looked like.

Before sending this I went over to another terminal and ran
slackpkg update

and it found nothing had changed and my /etc/profile was not
changed.
Doug713705
2017-10-23 19:26:07 UTC
Le 22-10-2017, Eef Hartman nous expliquait dans
alt.os.linux.slackware
Post by Eef Hartman
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
Slackware packages do not only contain files which will be put on your
system. They also contain a script ( install/doinst.sh ) which can do
anything including altering files on your system. You can study those
scripts in /var/log/scripts where you will find one file for each
package having such a script.
But the one for wpa_supplicant doesn't do anything unexpected (it only
moves the .new files into place when needed), so the problems the OP
reported must come from the usage of slackpkg (I never used that,
I always built my own mirror first and then use upgradepkg on that,
so I do not know what i.e. "slackpkg update" exactly does) or
something else he does.
Slackpkg do nothing more than wgetting the package from the miror then
use the pkgtools scripts like upgradepkg/installpkg/etc on it.

There is nothing done by slackpkg that would not by using
upgradepkg/installpkg/removepkg.
--
Je ne connaîtrai rien de tes habitudes
Il se peut même que tu sois décédée
-- H.F. Thiéfaine, L'ascenceur de 22H43
jrg
2017-10-23 00:11:12 UTC
Post by root
Something happened on four machines on which I used slackpkg to upgrade
the wpa_supplicant package. On each machine I did the following
slackpkg udate
slackpkg upgrade wpa_supplicant
Which resulted in migrating from 2.5 to 2.6 version of wpa.
etc/
etc/dbus-1/
etc/dbus-1/system.d/
etc/dbus-1/system.d/dbus-wpa_supplicant.conf
etc/logrotate.d/
etc/logrotate.d/wpa_supplicant.new
etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.new
However there were other changes made to files in the /etc
directory. For one, the /etc/profile was changed in all
four machines. In at least one of the machines inittab was
changed.
I didn't expect that to happen and I invite any explanations
for what happened.
I'm still learning - why do you find this abnormal? You're upgrading a
wpa file - this is going to necessitate changes that the install program
can't predict, such as, er, your hardware? Its a new vers of wpa-supp -
wouldn't you expect your conf files to be changed? I would think
wpa-supplicant would dictate a few things slackpkg can't see - no?

And I thought slack was system.d free - is the mention just for
compatibility?
Chris Vine
2017-10-23 10:40:45 UTC
On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 17:11:12 -0700
jrg <***@cox.net> wrote:
[snip]
Post by jrg
I'm still learning - why do you find this abnormal? You're upgrading
a wpa file - this is going to necessitate changes that the install
program can't predict, such as, er, your hardware? Its a new vers of
wpa-supp - wouldn't you expect your conf files to be changed? I
would think wpa-supplicant would dictate a few things slackpkg can't
see - no?
And I thought slack was system.d free - is the mention just for
compatibility?
/etc/dbus-1/system.d is a configuration directory for the dbus
system message bus and has nothing to do with systemd. It follows the
convention of other configuration directories such as /etc/profile.d.
It is not concerned with the init spelt 'systemd', which follows
convention by having appending a 'd' (not '.d') to indicate it is a
daemon.

There are a few packages supplied in slackware-current (and possibly
slackware-14.2) which do in fact install files in /usr/lib/systemd - do
a grep to find them. Pat Volkerding has said that although he has no
plans at present to use systemd in slackware, this is to assist anyone
who in fact has installed systemd on their system. I do optionally
boot slackware-current using systemd on two of my computers (you can
choose the init at boot time) so I can use gnome, and I have found
systemd works pretty well. So for that matter does slackware's SysV
based init.

Chris
jrg
2017-10-23 15:50:13 UTC
Post by jrg
[...]
system.d isn't systemd.
I said I was learning but thats a noob error.
I was up late.
Thanks, Chris
Dan C
2017-10-23 01:23:40 UTC
Post by root
Something happened on four machines on which I used slackpkg to upgrade
the wpa_supplicant package. On each machine I did the following slackpkg
udate slackpkg upgrade wpa_supplicant
Which resulted in migrating from 2.5 to 2.6 version of wpa.
etc/
etc/dbus-1/
etc/dbus-1/system.d/
etc/dbus-1/system.d/dbus-wpa_supplicant.conf etc/logrotate.d/
etc/logrotate.d/wpa_supplicant.new etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.new
However there were other changes made to files in the /etc directory.
For one, the /etc/profile was changed in all four machines. In at least
one of the machines inittab was changed.
I didn't expect that to happen and I invite any explanations for what
happened.
Thanks.
Don't use slackpkg.

Real men use 'upgradepkg <packagename>'

HTH.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he harpooned Flipper.
Thanks, Obama: Loading Image...
root
2017-10-23 01:49:35 UTC
Post by Dan C
Don't use slackpkg.
Real men use 'upgradepkg <packagename>'
HTH.
I agree. This is the first time I tried slackpkg to updgrade
a working package. I use upgradepkg when moving up to a
newer version of Slackware. The only advantage of slackpkg
was to directly import from the mirror.
Doug713705
2017-10-23 19:27:52 UTC
Le 23-10-2017, Dan C nous expliquait dans
alt.os.linux.slackware
Post by Dan C
Don't use slackpkg.
Real men use 'upgradepkg <packagename>'
Real real men use tar and run install script manually :)
Rich
2017-10-23 20:54:56 UTC
Post by Dan C
Don't use slackpkg.
Real men use 'upgradepkg <packagename>'
Real real men use tar and run install script manually :)
Real real real men download the source from the maintainer site, run
configure with custom parameters appropriate for Slackware, and install
manually.

:) :)
Aragorn
2017-10-23 21:06:14 UTC
On Monday 23 October 2017 22:54, Rich conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.slackware...
Post by Dan C
Don't use slackpkg.
Real men use 'upgradepkg <packagename>'
Real real men use tar and run install script manually :)
Real real real men download the source from the maintainer site, run
configure with custom parameters appropriate for Slackware, and
install manually.
:) :)
Real real real real men write all the code themselves in assembler while
looking at a hex dump of glibc to know what routines they need to hook
into. :p
--
With respect,
= Aragorn =
John McCue
2017-10-23 22:47:02 UTC
Post by Dan C
Don't use slackpkg.
Real men use 'upgradepkg <packagename>'
Real real men use tar and run install script manually :)
Real real real men download the source from the maintainer site, run
configure with custom parameters appropriate for Slackware, and
install manually.
:) :)
Real real real real men write all the code themselves in assembler while
looking at a hex dump of glibc to know what routines they need to hook
into. :p
Real men do not patch, they know they will find the
cracker and deal with them in an appropriate Chuck
Norris manner.

John
The Real Bev
2017-10-31 23:50:01 UTC
Post by Dan C
Don't use slackpkg.
Real men use 'upgradepkg <packagename>'
Real real men use tar and run install script manually :)
Sorry, that's a woman thing!
--
Cheers, Bev
"If you expect to score points by whining, join a European soccer team."