wifi dongle for laptop
john connolly
2018-07-31 21:22:12 UTC
Recently I was given a Windows 10 laptop that has a Realtek RTL8723DE
Pcie wifi adapter. Alas, when I installed slack 14.2 on it the adapter
is recognized but none of the kernel modules activate it. I would like
to either find a driver for this adapter or receive suggestions for a
dongle that will work with slack 14.2 in its original or updated versions.
Thanks, jwc
Ars Ivci
2018-07-31 21:46:27 UTC
    Recently I was given a Windows 10 laptop that has a Realtek
RTL8723DE Pcie wifi adapter. Alas, when I installed slack 14.2 on it the
adapter is recognized but none of the kernel modules activate it. I
would like to either find a driver for this adapter or receive
suggestions for a dongle that will work with slack 14.2 in its original
or updated versions.
Thanks, jwc
Try this link:

https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new/tree/extended

I have a RTL8723ae and I owe Larry Finger much.

peace,
t.
john connolly
2018-08-02 22:37:24 UTC
Post by Ars Ivci
Post by john connolly
Hi,
Recently I was given a Windows 10 laptop that has a Realtek
RTL8723DE Pcie wifi adapter. Alas, when I installed slack 14.2 on it
the adapter is recognized but none of the kernel modules activate it.
I would like to either find a driver for this adapter or receive
suggestions for a dongle that will work with slack 14.2 in its
original or updated versions.
Thanks, jwc
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new/tree/extended
I have a RTL8723ae and I owe Larry Finger much.
peace,
t.
Thanks a bunch for the lead. I followed up and the driver code built and
installed successfully and the drivers loaded under the modprobe
command, BUT, the wifi device still is not working. For example
wicd-client does not find any wireless networks and iwconfig finds wlan2
but there is no evidence of activity.
jwc
Ars Ivci
2018-08-03 06:13:42 UTC
Post by john connolly
Post by Ars Ivci
Hi,
[...]
This may help:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/hp-laptop-wifi-driver-4175633567/#post5877146

Also try network-manager instead of wicd.

Don't give up! Someone made it work somehow. Mine is ae series and had
to wait for a few months for error-free operation.

peace,
t.
root
2018-08-03 14:57:56 UTC
Post by Ars Ivci
Post by john connolly
Post by Ars Ivci
Hi,
[...]
If the module(s) were loaded by modprobe the problem may be that
wireless was disabled by some button on the keyboad. I've had
the problem with a laptop that screen brightness was set dim
before I installed linux and I couldn't use the button to
increase brightness under linux. I had to re-install Windows
then increase brightness, then go back an install linux.
john connolly
2018-08-05 01:21:52 UTC
Post by Ars Ivci
Post by john connolly
Post by Ars Ivci
Post by john connolly
Hi,
[...]
Thanks for the encouraging words. I tried network manager but got no
love. I did a google search on the realtek device d723 which I got from
lspci in the laptop. There is a link to source code for modules for both
kernels lower than 4.10 and kernels above 4.10.

https://subinsb.com/install-realtek-d723-wifi-driver-linux/

The version of slackware that I have installed is an older current
version that has kernel 4.9.67, so I had a go at the appropriate driver.
The code built and I did get a module loaded but no luck with the wifi
connection. I am now going to do a new system update using a more recent
current distribution, which has kernel 4.14.60. That might work with
either the source code in the link that you provided or the other source
code in the link in this post.
Stay tuned, jwc
john connolly
2018-08-07 19:39:55 UTC
Post by john connolly
Post by Ars Ivci
Post by john connolly
Post by Ars Ivci
Post by john connolly
Hi,
[...]
Still no luck. I have built the code and installed the modules for
slackware 14.2 current versions running kernels 4.9.67 and 4.14.59.
Iwconfig shows no wlan0. If anyone knows of a adapter that I can buy I
would really appreciate it.
Cheers, jwc
Mike Spencer
2018-08-07 20:36:36 UTC
Post by john connolly
Still no luck. I have built the code and installed the modules for
slackware 14.2 current versions running kernels 4.9.67 and 4.14.59.
Iwconfig shows no wlan0. If anyone knows of a adapter that I can buy I
would really appreciate it.
I have used:

Airlink 101 Wireless N 300 Adapter, Model AWLL 6077v2.
Serial # 00e04c000001, Realtek RTL8192SU chipset

with Slackware 14.1 on a Panasonic Toughbook. I have these notes from
when I was using it:

Product: Airlink 101 Wireless N 300 USB adapter
Model: AWLL6077v2
Seen by lsusb as:
ID 0bda:8174 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192SU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
Module: /lib/modules/3.10.17-smp/kernel/drivers/staging/rtl8712/r8712u.ko
firmware: rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin
author: Larry Finger
alias: usb:v0BDAp8174d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
parm: ifname: Net interface name, wlan%d=default (string)
wicd: wicd-1.7.2.4-i486-4 (Slackware 14.1 "extra" package)
Distro: Slackware 14.1

works (on at least one 802.11b connection) if wicd(8) is explicitly
instructed via interactive Preferences or
/etc/wicd/manager-settings.conf to use wlan0 (or whatever wlan%d it
defaults to on a given host) as the wireless interface.

Awhile back, on Tue, 1 May 2018 20:28:41 -0000 (UTC), someone (Sorry,
attribution lost) wrote on aols:

I currently have 2 14.1 systems & 1 14.2 system, all of them are
running on 4.16.2 ATM. The 2 14.1 machines will be changing to
4.16.6 today & tomorrow. The 14.2 machine will probably wait until
4.16.7.

The only problem I've has so far is on this AA1 netbook wicd no
longer sees an wifi networks, but networkmanager does. Seems to be
something to do with ath5k since wicd wifi still works on another
machine with an intel wireless chip.

If you don't want to upgrade to 4.16, the 4.14 series is LTS.

Footnote: I still have a PII running Slack 10 with a Motorola PCI
wireless card, Broadcom chipset. I never did get it to work without the
(deprecated) ndiswrapper and the Windoes driver. Sits over in the
corner attached to a couple of scanners,no needto upgrade it and I've
forgotten all the details of making it work.

FWIW, YMMV and all that but hope it helps,
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
john connolly
2018-08-07 22:05:09 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by john connolly
[...]
Thank you very much for the info, Mike. This reply is for everyone. It
turns out that my laptop is using wlan2 instead of wlan0, don't ask me
why. When I run: 'iwlist wlan2 scan' my laptop finds my router. So I
guess I have a configuration problem that so far I have not been able to
solve. I cannot convince wicd to look at wlan2 so it reports no networks
found. When I run NetworkManager I get an icon that says that wifi
networks are available and I'm supposed to use the network menu to make
a connection. I am stuck at that point. Hopefully there is some friendly
genius out there who can help me get the rest of the way.
Thanks, jwc
Jim Diamond
2018-08-07 22:32:14 UTC
Post by john connolly
Thank you very much for the info, Mike. This reply is for everyone. It
turns out that my laptop is using wlan2 instead of wlan0, don't ask me
why.
Look in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and you will see
the system has recorded network devices which you have used over time.

If there is a wlan0 in there, and you are OK with having your system
forget about whatever device that was, you can delete the "paragraphs"
for wlan0 and wlan2 and reboot your system.

(Or, I suppose, you can delete the wlan0 paragraph and then change
NAME="wlan2"
NAME="wlan0"
and then reboot.)

Cheers.
Jim
jrg
2018-08-08 15:00:58 UTC
When I run NetworkManager I get an icon that says that wifi networks are
available and I'm supposed to use the network menu to make a connection.
So you aren't given a drop down list of connections possible?
Are you using nm-applet?
john connolly
2018-08-08 16:49:55 UTC
Post by jrg
When I run NetworkManager I get an icon that says that wifi networks are
available and I'm supposed to use the network menu to make a connection.
So you aren't given a drop down list of connections possible?
Are you using nm-applet?
with nm-applet I get: failed to connect to proxy and
failed to show notification: the connection is closed.

The iwlist command still does find my router.
john connolly
2018-08-08 19:43:07 UTC
Post by john connolly
Post by jrg
When I run NetworkManager I get an icon that says that wifi networks are
available and I'm supposed to use the network menu to make a connection.
So you aren't given a drop down list of connections possible?
Are you using nm-applet?
with nm-applet I get: failed to connect to proxy and
failed to show notification: the connection is closed.
The iwlist command still does find my router.
Using the command nm-connection-editor I got the drop down box that
listed the wifi connection. Following the connection prompt I was able
to submit the password and get a connection. Thank you all for your
assistance. This is the first time that I have been able to activate a
wifi source that didn't work out of the box. I hope I don't have to do
it again.
Thanks, jwc

Ars Ivci
2018-08-08 15:08:52 UTC
[...]
Post by john connolly
Thank you very much for the info, Mike. This reply is for everyone. It
turns out that my laptop is using wlan2 instead of wlan0, don't ask me
why. When I run: 'iwlist wlan2 scan' my laptop finds my router. So I
guess I have a configuration problem that so far I have not been able to
solve. I cannot convince wicd to look at wlan2 so it reports no networks
found. When I run NetworkManager I get an icon that says that wifi
networks are available and I'm supposed to use the network menu to make
a connection. I am stuck at that point. Hopefully there is some friendly
genius out there who can help me get the rest of the way.
Thanks, jwc
I suggest you rerun the network script in the installation phase and
choose network-manager and cross fingers.

t.
Michael Black
2018-08-03 20:02:49 UTC
Post by john connolly
Post by Ars Ivci
Post by john connolly
Hi,
[...]
There's a process to this, and I'm pretty sure it's detailed at
http://docs.slackware.com

When I installed on this computer, I didn't have a wifi adapter for it, so
I left that for later. And I recall doing it "manually", but forget the
process. But it made sense at the time, you have to get the needed module
to load, and then some other step, and then all is well. But I kept no
notes, so I can't remember.

Michael
dillinger
2018-07-31 21:58:57 UTC
    Recently I was given a Windows 10 laptop that has a Realtek
RTL8723DE Pcie wifi adapter. Alas, when I installed slack 14.2 on it the
adapter is recognized but none of the kernel modules activate it. I
would like to either find a driver for this adapter or receive
suggestions for a dongle that will work with slack 14.2 in its original
or updated versions.
Thanks, jwc
There are instructions for Ubuntu on:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Realtek-8723DE-wifi-module-amp-Bluetooth-Linux-driver/td-p/6477307

But make and make install should work on Slackware too.

I can't test this and AFAIK there is no Slackware package (yet).