Firefox 60 workarounds: auto-hide tab bar; precision scrolling; scrollbar width
Add Reply
Robert Riches
2018-09-09 01:01:24 UTC
In case anyone else is looking for a way to automatically hide
the tab bar when there is only one tab open for a given window,
this works for me. Evidently, the mechanism to do that for
Firefox versions up through 52 have been rendered nonfunctional
in version 60. Put the following text in
~/.mozilla/firefox/$profile/chrome/userChrome.css

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv cut here vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

/* From this page: */
/* http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2688521 */
#TabsToolbar { border : none !important;}
#TabsToolbar { min-height: 0px !important;}
#TabsToolbar > toolbarbutton,.tabs-newtab-button { visibility: collapse !important;}
#tabbrowser-tabs tab[first-tab='true'][last-tab='true'] { display:none !important; }

/* From this page: */
/* https://superuser.com/questions/1268732/how-to-hide-tab-bar-tabstrip-in-firefox-57-quantum */
#tabbrowser-tabs, #tabbrowser-tabs arrowscrollbox { min-height: 0 !important; }
#tabbrowser-tabs tab { height: var(--tab-min-height); }
#tabbrowser-tabs tab:first-child:last-child { display: none !important; }

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ cut here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HTH

In versions up through 52, going to about:config and setting
mousewheel.with_alt.delta_multiplier_{x,y} to a value of 10
enabled very precise scrolling, sufficient to adjust the position
a given line of text within a couple of pixels. With version 60,
that no longer works. Does anyone know a workaround for that?

Does anyone know a way to make the scrollbars wider than the few
terribly thin pixels they default to in version 60? I had tried
the suggestion found here,

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=382492&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

but it did not work. (That's not a huge surprise given that page
is from 2005, 13 years ago.)

Thanks,
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
Ars Ivci
2018-09-09 07:50:59 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
Does anyone know a way to make the scrollbars wider than the few
terribly thin pixels they default to in version 60? I had tried
the suggestion found here,
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=382492&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
but it did not work. (That's not a huge surprise given that page
is from 2005, 13 years ago.)
Thanks,
1. Create a text file called "gtk.css" in "~/.config/gtk-3.0".
2. Put the following code in there and save the file:

.scrollbar.vertical slider,
scrollbar.vertical slider {
min-width: 15px;
}

If it does not work there are a few more suggestions here:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2376236

t.
Robert Riches
2018-09-11 03:41:42 UTC
Post by Ars Ivci
Post by Robert Riches
Does anyone know a way to make the scrollbars wider than the few
terribly thin pixels they default to in version 60? I had tried
the suggestion found here,
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=382492&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
but it did not work. (That's not a huge surprise given that page
is from 2005, 13 years ago.)
Thanks,
1. Create a text file called "gtk.css" in "~/.config/gtk-3.0".
.scrollbar.vertical slider,
scrollbar.vertical slider {
min-width: 15px;
}
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2376236
t.
The code did not immediately work, even with restarting Firefox.
Somewhere I read that it's necessary to do some magic incantation
to invalidate cached scripts and CSS, so perhaps that is the key.
I'll also check the link.

Thanks.
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
jrg
2018-09-09 21:05:10 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
In case anyone else is looking for a way to automatically hide
the tab bar when there is only one tab open for a given window,
this works for me. Evidently, the mechanism to do that for
Firefox versions up through 52 have been rendered nonfunctional
in version 60. Put the following text in
~/.mozilla/firefox/$profile/chrome/userChrome.css
Just tried this with FF 61 on a bodhi box, not slack, and it doesn't work...

no surprise
Robert Riches
2018-09-11 03:42:57 UTC
Post by jrg
Post by Robert Riches
In case anyone else is looking for a way to automatically hide
the tab bar when there is only one tab open for a given window,
this works for me. Evidently, the mechanism to do that for
Firefox versions up through 52 have been rendered nonfunctional
in version 60. Put the following text in
~/.mozilla/firefox/$profile/chrome/userChrome.css
Just tried this with FF 61 on a bodhi box, not slack, and it doesn't work...
no surprise
Interesting that it works for me but does not work for you. If
it quits working for me, I'll have something I can troubleshoot
to try to fix it.
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
Robert Riches
2018-09-11 03:44:45 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
Post by jrg
Post by Robert Riches
In case anyone else is looking for a way to automatically hide
the tab bar when there is only one tab open for a given window,
this works for me. Evidently, the mechanism to do that for
Firefox versions up through 52 have been rendered nonfunctional
in version 60. Put the following text in
~/.mozilla/firefox/$profile/chrome/userChrome.css
Just tried this with FF 61 on a bodhi box, not slack, and it doesn't work...
no surprise
Interesting that it works for me but does not work for you. If
it quits working for me, I'll have something I can troubleshoot
to try to fix it.
Oh, I do still have the old browser.tabs.autoHide set to true in
about:config, so perhaps that might have an influence.
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
jrg
2018-09-11 17:31:39 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
I do still have the old browser.tabs.autoHide
I don't have that - maybe I'll create it. I have an extensive css which
I got from git sometime ago which uses the settings previously used by
the now-defunct extension Classic Theme Restorer. I've never really had
the time to sift through all the settings, however, since a lot is greek
to me.