Slackware-current - kernel panic on install
Peter Chant
2018-06-18 22:05:10 UTC
Tried installing slackware current both on bare hardware and in qemu and
got a kernel panic. I'll try again once there is an update in case I
somehow corrupted my image. However, I wonder if anyone else has the
same problem?

Pete
Robert Riches
2018-06-19 03:36:28 UTC
Post by Peter Chant
Tried installing slackware current both on bare hardware and in qemu and
got a kernel panic. I'll try again once there is an update in case I
somehow corrupted my image. However, I wonder if anyone else has the
same problem?
Pete
I had something similar with these details for my case:

- My /boot was on a plain partition (/dev/sda2).

- My / was on a RAID10.

- Installer ran perfectly.

- I installed GRUB rather than LILO.

- Booting the installed system had a kernel panic at about 5-6
seconds on the kernel timestamp.

In my case, there were the following problems:

- In /boot/grub/grub.cfg, I needed to change /dev/md126 to
/dev/Microknoppix:slash2, because the /dev/md* numbers are
apparently random in the installed system.

- In /etc/fstab, I needed to make the same change.

- In order to use the generic rather than huge kernel, I needed
to create a mkinitrd and add lines in /boot/grub/grub.cfg to
use the initrd image.

- I needed to copy (using dd) the partition that was /dev/sda2
in the installer to the other /dev/sd*2 partitions.
(Partitioning is identical across the five physical disks
that make up the RAID10 plus spare.

Hope that helps if the root cause of your kernel panic is similar
to mine.
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
Peter Chant
2018-06-19 11:39:01 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
Post by Peter Chant
Tried installing slackware current both on bare hardware and in qemu and
got a kernel panic. I'll try again once there is an update in case I
somehow corrupted my image. However, I wonder if anyone else has the
same problem?
- My /boot was on a plain partition (/dev/sda2).
- My / was on a RAID10.
- Installer ran perfectly.
Kernel on the install dvd would not boot. Did not get as far as the
install.

Pete
root
Could it be that you are trying to install slackware-64 on a 32 bit system?
Peter Chant
2018-06-19 19:06:18 UTC
Could it be that you are trying to install slackware-64 on a 32 bit system?
No.

Last line in the message was:
kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000009

Googling shows that this happens on various distros at various times nad
the fix it to revert to an older kernel or update to a newer one. Not
quite an option on the install dvd.

Off to see if I can boot off older install dvds.

Pete
Peter Chant
2018-06-19 22:01:36 UTC
Post by Peter Chant
Off to see if I can boot off older install dvds.
Yes, slack current of 8 March 2018 booted fine.

Then after a fix* to get to boot OK on a btrfs subvolume I updated it
with slackpkg having accidentally set the mirror to slackware 14.2 and
promptly nuked it...

* bodge - commenting out fsck in rc.S.
Jimmy Johnson
2018-06-29 03:51:17 UTC
Post by Peter Chant
Post by Peter Chant
Off to see if I can boot off older install dvds.
Yes, slack current of 8 March 2018 booted fine.
Then after a fix* to get to boot OK on a btrfs subvolume I updated it
with slackpkg having accidentally set the mirror to slackware 14.2 and
promptly nuked it...
* bodge - commenting out fsck in rc.S.
Hi Peter, I'm a 20+ year linux user, I guess you know what you're doing
but just in case you don't, using slack current is like using debian
testing and is not stable, the latest stable is 14.2. Just like other
no-systemd distros getting systemd out of the distro is a learning thing
and systemd is a sneaky bitch.

Cheers,

Slackware 14.2-64 - KDE 4.14.32 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9