How save copy of Google script?
Martha Adams
2018-07-01 12:37:51 UTC
I'm using Firefox in a slackware64 14.1 environment. Lately when
I look at Google News it makes long delays and then posts a box
about a Google script program holding up the work and do I want
to stop it.

This box has a 'Debug' option and if I choose that, I find the
script is a 7000+ line monster full of tightly packed text. It
raises several questions that I find this thing intruded into
my personal business, but the two I think I most want answers
to are,

1) Can somebody suggest a good news resource, something like
what Google News does when it works but without the egregious
intrusion and nuisance?

2) When I have chosen the 'debug' option upon seeing the script
box, I see that immense Google script file and I can read it,
but I don't see an option to save a copy of it. I'd like to
save a copy of that so I can examine review it and try to guess
what it's up to. So when I'm in that script 'debug' mode, how
do I save a copy of it so I can try to guess what it's up to?
Or communicate it to others? ??

Note: I spend a lot of time in cyberspace environments, and I
don't get upset by facing something 'techical'. However, I'm
retired age 87 and I am not a techie. ...Interesting world
out there but I'm extremely doubtful about the goodness of
some of it. Anyhow,

Thanks -- Martha Adams [Sun 2018 Jly 01]
Chris Elvidge
2018-07-01 14:50:56 UTC
[...]
news.google.com with scripts blocked seems to work for me.

debug and then select all, copy, paste into text file?
Chris Elvidge, England
Martha Adams
2018-07-01 17:44:18 UTC
Post by Chris Elvidge
Post by Martha Adams
I'm using Firefox in a slackware64 14.1 environment. Lately when
I look at Google News it makes long delays and then posts a box
big snip
debug and then select all, copy, paste into text file?
Hi, Chris. That's a concise description of what I'm asking
how to do. When I was looking at the script file, I tried
to scout everywhere in it and I could not find the least
usable to me hint how to do it. *I'm not a techie.*

Thanks -- Martha Adams [Sun 2018 Jly 01]
Doug713705
2018-07-02 06:04:03 UTC
Le 01-07-2018, Martha Adams nous expliquait dans
Post by Martha Adams
Post by Chris Elvidge
debug and then select all, copy, paste into text file?
Hi, Chris. That's a concise description of what I'm asking
how to do. When I was looking at the script file, I tried
to scout everywhere in it and I could not find the least
usable to me hint how to do it.
In the debug window where you can read the script, type CTRL+a
to select all the script content then CTRL+c to copy it and
finally CTRL+v to paste it in your favorite text editor.
Post by Martha Adams
*I'm not a techie.*
This is not a problem but if you're not a techie reading this
huge script will probably not help you much.
--
Je sais que dans votre alchimie
L'atome ça vaut des travellers-chèques
-- H.F. Thiéfaine, Aligator 427
Martha Adams
2018-07-03 04:19:25 UTC
Post by Martha Adams
*I'm not a techie.*
This is not a problem but if you're not a techie reading this
huge script will probably not help you much.
Hi, Doug. Good point. However, it will certainly not help me
much if I don't have it. That script in hand, if someday I'm
talking with a real live expert, I can produce it rather than
just talk about it. So my perhaps redundant and useless
script saving seems to me, good foresighted process -- *just
in case*.

Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Tues 2018 Jly 03]
David Robley
2018-07-02 01:17:15 UTC
Post by Chris Elvidge
debug and then select all, copy, paste into text file?
Hi, Chris.  That's a concise description of what I'm asking
how to do.  When I was looking at the script file, I tried
to scout everywhere in it and I could not find the least
usable to me hint how to do it.  *I'm not a techie.*
Thanks -- Martha Adams [Sun 2018 Jly 01]
The usual method is Ctrl-A (select all), Ctrl-C (copy) and Ctrl-V
(paste) Or you could select with the mouse, then right-click to copy,
etc. etc.

I haven't been able to find the debug mode in Google News to test - but
I didn't spend much time trying.
notbob
2018-07-01 19:24:55 UTC
On 7/1/2018 6:37 AM, Martha Adams wrote:

  ...Interesting world
Post by Martha Adams
out there but I'm extremely doubtful about the goodness of
some of it.
Don't I know it!?

What kinda box you running?

I jes got a new box (i3, HP, 8G RAM). I still use my 14.1 XP box to
talk to my bank, but it's sooooooo sloooooow!. Only .5G RAM. I suspect
yer having probs cuz of the old FF browser. Even 14.2 is one year old.
The WWW has so much hi-end graphics, 14.1 is "old" news and despite
being Linux, a 20 yr old computer is still SLOW. My new box is a UEFI
box, so I'm still playing with it. Windows 10 is horrible, but the
graphics rock. I can watch anything on it. Problem is, it's Windows! ;)

nb
Martha Adams
2018-07-04 15:56:55 UTC
Post by Martha Adams
...Interesting world
Post by Martha Adams
out there but I'm extremely doubtful about the goodness of
some of it.
Don't I know it!?
What kinda box you running?
Post by Martha Adams
snip >>
Hi, notbob. Two boxes, actually (and several more sitting around
here).

Box1. A (now 'old') 64-bit emachines with presently a 160G hd and
2 Gb memory. I expect sometime soon, to replace the hd with a 1 Tb
hd where I'll try playing with multiple OSs, probably Arch and
OpenBSD in addition to the plain old Slackware. My screen mgr is
twm because when the "user-friendly" screen mgrs came in every one
of those drove me right up the wall. For me, twm is the comfortable
terminal-like and versatile screen mgr for using my computer. If
I'm in a jam and I *must* use some "user-friendly," I rather, just
walk away from it. (Re the Great Divide, I'm an emacs person.)

Box2. Is a small Insignia laptop running Windows 10. I made this
basically unusable machine good by downloading a Cygwin into it,
from which point I can do real work in it using Cygwin's terminal
like environment. At my age (87 presently) my physical strength
is decreasing, so when I go to SF Cons this small machine gives me
less weight to carry around. I'd really really like to get that
Windows out of there but I'm ok with it so long as I don't have to
use it, and Windows --> Cygwin gives me a usable system without
getting into techie new-os problems I'm not ready for.

Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Wed 2018 Jly 04]