xserver borked for gma500 video hardware
Add Reply
Robert Komar
2018-05-27 20:24:02 UTC
I've upgraded to the latest packages in slackware-current,
and now X hangs at startup on my Asus EeePC with the
built-in gma500 video hardware. From various log
messages, it appears that the X server crashes. If I
try to run /usr/libexec/Xorg within gdb, I get a BUS
error in the llvmpipe-3 thread (can't tell exactly where
because gdb switches to another thread before stopping).
I believe the llvm stuff is part of Mesa's software
rasterizer.

Does anyone else get similar behaviour for other video
hardware? I'm trying to figure out if this is specific
to the crappy support for the gma500, or if I have a
more general problem with X.

Cheers,
Rob Komar
King Beowulf
2018-06-09 03:04:20 UTC
Post by Robert Komar
I've upgraded to the latest packages in slackware-current,
and now X hangs at startup on my Asus EeePC with the built-in gma500
video hardware. From various log messages, it appears that the X server
crashes. If I try to run /usr/libexec/Xorg within gdb, I get a BUS
error in the llvmpipe-3 thread (can't tell exactly where because gdb
switches to another thread before stopping). I believe the llvm stuff is
part of Mesa's software rasterizer.
Does anyone else get similar behaviour for other video hardware? I'm
trying to figure out if this is specific to the crappy support for the
gma500, or if I have a more general problem with X.
Cheers,
Rob Komar
Current bumped up to xorg-server-1.20 which killed a number of older Xorg
drivers which are thus possibly obsolete/no support.

GMA 500 is part of the kernel. Look to see if gma500_gfx kernel module
exists and is loaded (lsmod). Make sure Xorg's intel versions don't load
(blacklist?).

You may also need something like (taken from Arch wiki):

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-gpudriver.conf

Section "Device"
Identifier "gma500_gfx"
Driver "modesetting"
Option "SWCursor" "ON"
EndSection

if "Driver fbdev" doesn't work. Xorg doesn't have a GMA driver, you need
to use fbdev or modesetting with the gma500_gfx drm kernel driver.
Robert Komar
2018-06-12 03:06:15 UTC
Post by King Beowulf
Post by Robert Komar
[...]
Thanks for the reply. You're right about xorg-server; when I downgraded
to xorg-server-1.19.6, X was able to start up again.

I tried re-installing the current version of xorg-server and adding the
configuration file above, but the server still crashes. The gma500_gfx
kernel module is loaded, so that's not the problem. I don't have an
xorg.conf file, everything seems to be autoprobed, so it's hard to
know what is actually going on under the hood. The Xorg.0.log file
seems to indicate that everything is fine, while the console goes
blank and accepts no inputs (not even chvt from a remote terminal
fixes it).

I think I'll stick with the older xorg-server-1.19.6 version for now.
Trying to fix this is probably beyond my abilities.

Cheers,
Rob Komar