Adding /boot partition in setup?
Add Reply
Tuxedo
2018-09-06 00:16:38 UTC
Hello,

Having configured LVM and LUKS on a new SSD I'm trying to proceed with
Slackware's system installation following the steps described in the section
"Combining LUKS and LVM" of
http://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware64-14.2/README_CRYPT.TXT

However, I'm a bit stuck at the following part of the above manual:

* With the system properly prepared, you can launch 'setup'. The 'setup'
program will identify the LV swap volume and activate it. When appointing
the partitions to use for your filesystems, select '/dev/cryptvg/root' for
the root partition, next select '/dev/cryptvg/home' to be used for your
/home. And lastly, assign the partition /dev/sdx1 to a /boot filesystem.
This '/boot' filesystem will be the only unencrypted part of your computer.

Having assigned the /root filesystem already, I skipped the /home because I
don't plan to have /home in a separate LV.

The next step should do is to assign boot, being an unencrypted partition at
/dev/nvme0n1p2:

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/nvme0n1p2 195313664 195606527 292864 143M 83 Linux

/dev/nvme0n1p2 was created in GParted as an ext4 filesystem. The installer
does however not suggest anything what to do with assigning /boot.

Setup offers to format /dev/nvme0n1p2 as for example ext4 and I can add
/dev/nvme0n1p2 on /boot in fstab.

However, the formating in Slackware's setup returns the error:

blockdev: can't open '(IN': No such file or directory.

And the setup now shows the /etc/fstab entry as:

DONE ADDING LINUX PARTITIONS TO FSTAB
(IN USE) / defaults 1 1
/dev/nvme0n1p2 /boot ext4 defaults 1 2

Something with my procedures must be wrong here. Can I proceed with the
installation and add and configure the boot partition later?

Tuxedo
Tuxedo
2018-09-06 08:07:35 UTC
Post by Tuxedo
[...]
I'm not sure why the installer didn't format and returned an error before
but when trying again it now appears to work. After formating I can select
mount points. And having done the fstab selection I'm returned to the
screen:

Select other Linux partitions for /etc/fstab

You seen to have more than one partition tagged as Linux
partitions for /etc/fstab
You may distribute your Linux system across more than one
partition. Currently you have /dev/cryptvg/root mounted
as your / partition, You might want to mount directories
such as /home or /usr/local on separate partitions.
You should not try to mount /etc /sbin or /bin on their
own partitions since they contain utilities needed to
bring the system up and mount partitions.
Also, do not reuse a partition that you've already mounted
before. Please select one of the Linux partitions below,
or if you're done, hit < Continue >.

( IN USE ) /dev/cryptvg/root on / Linux 1.7.T
/dev/mapper/slackluk Linux 1.8T
( IN USE ) /dev/nvme01p2 on /boot Linux 143M
/dev/nvme0n1p3 Linux 1.8T

< Select > < Continue >

So this now right and I < Continue >....

Screen then returns:

Done adding Linux partitions to /etc/fstab

Adding this information to your fstab:
/dev/cryptvg/root / ext4 defaults 1
/dev/nvme0n1p2 /boot ext4 defaults 1 2
< OK >

I now continue the Slackware installation from the USB.

Tuxedo