USB scanner (HP ScanJet 6300C) vs. libusb
Add Reply
Robert Riches
2018-05-31 18:59:17 UTC
(Just converted the main machine to Slackware 14.2 from Debian 7.)

My USB scanner (an HP ScanJet 6300C) is not yet working on
Slackware 14.2. Here's the information I have, testing with
both the root account and a non-root user who is a member of
groups lp and scanner.

sane-find-scanner shows both accounts that the scanner is
libusb:006:002

(If I start system DBUS...) scanimage -L finds it at
hp:libusb:005:002 for the root account but not for the
non-root account.

Attempting scanimage, with "-d hp:libusb:005:002" or with
"-d hp", and with or without "-l 8 -t 4 -x 203 -y 267" yields

scanimage: sane_start: Error during device I/O

for both users. (Some web literature said the positional
options helped in some cases.)

The man page for sane-usb says to add this to /etc/fstab:

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0

I added that (without the indentation) and rebooted the machine.
During boot, I saw something similar to this fly by (although
it's not in the output of dmesg or in /var/log/syslog or
/var/log/messages.)

mountpoint /proc/bus/usb does not exist

Earlier, I had tried to mount usbfs on /proc/bus/usb manually,
outside the boot sequence, but I did not find an incantation that
worked.

In case it's relevant, From earlier distributions, I have the
following modified line in /lib/udev/rules.d/80-libsane.rules in
order to allow group scanner to access the device:

ATTRS{idVendor}=="03f0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0601", MODE="0664", GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

Is mounting usbfs really necessary on Slackware 14.2? My notes
say it was needed many years ago on a distribution far away but
not recently.

Is there a way to mount usbfs outside the boot sequence?

Is there a way to mount usbfs during the boot sequence without
getting the error that the mountpoint does not exist?

Thanks.
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
2018-05-31 22:43:15 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
My USB scanner (an HP ScanJet 6300C) is not yet working on
Slackware 14.2. Here's the information I have, testing with
both the root account and a non-root user who is a member of
groups lp and scanner.
Is there a way to mount usbfs during the boot sequence without
getting the error that the mountpoint does not exist?
I found this incantation at
ftp://ftp.eumetsat.int/pub/OPS/out/user/EUMETCast_Support/linux_distributions/SlackEX_14.1_64bit_131111.txt
and so I now have it in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file as:

mount -t debugfs none_debugs /sys/kernel/debug
mount --bind /dev/bus /proc/bus
ln -s /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices /proc/bus/usb/devices

in order for my Epson scanner to work.

You might try it on your system to see if it works for your HP scanner.
Robert Riches
2018-06-01 23:39:19 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
My USB scanner (an HP ScanJet 6300C) is not yet working on
Slackware 14.2. Here's the information I have, testing with
both the root account and a non-root user who is a member of
groups lp and scanner.
Is there a way to mount usbfs during the boot sequence without
getting the error that the mountpoint does not exist?
I found this incantation at
ftp://ftp.eumetsat.int/pub/OPS/out/user/EUMETCast_Support/linux_distributions/SlackEX_14.1_64bit_131111.txt
mount -t debugfs none_debugs /sys/kernel/debug
mount --bind /dev/bus /proc/bus
ln -s /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices /proc/bus/usb/devices
in order for my Epson scanner to work.
You might try it on your system to see if it works for your HP scanner.
Thanks for that incantation--especially for pasting the thre
commands. The URL right above them appears to have disappeared.
As far as I can tell, the wayback machine shows only HTTP, not
FTP.

I tried the three commands (as root) manually on the running
system. The tree of devices under /proc/bus/usb appeared to be
visible. Sadly, there was no change to the symptoms. The
scanner still shows up with "sane-find-scanner" and "scanimage
-L", but an attempt to make an actual scan still results in the
same error message as originally reported.
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
2018-06-02 01:31:01 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
Post by Rich
Post by Robert Riches
[...]
Oh, well. That did work for me for my Epson. Sorry it didn't help
with your HP.

I'm now out of suggestions.