Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer
Add Reply
Periodic FAQ Pointer
2018-08-13 07:03:01 UTC
Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 (Perl 5.018)
Archive-name: aolsfaq
Current-maintainer: aolsfaq-***@therockgarden.ca

FAQ last updated: Wed Feb 4 10:01:33 EST 2015

This is a periodic pointer to the Frequently-Asked Questions list (FAQ)
for the alt.os.linux.slackware newsgroup. The FAQ which may be
frequently referred to in messages posted to the newsgroup may be found
in its original text form at

http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt

There is also an HTML-rendered copy at

http://l0k1.free.fr/aolsfaq.html
Eric Pozharski
2018-08-13 11:25:36 UTC
with <aolsfaq-1-***@elvira.therockgarden.ca> Periodic FAQ Pointer wrote:

*SKIP*
Post by Periodic FAQ Pointer
FAQ last updated: Wed Feb 4 10:01:33 EST 2015
Should FAQ be updated to reflect recent developments? Not to say it has
some dead links.

*CUT*
Sylvain Robitaille
2018-09-14 15:00:18 UTC
Post by Eric Pozharski
Post by Periodic FAQ Pointer
FAQ last updated: Wed Feb 4 10:01:33 EST 2015
Should FAQ be updated to reflect recent developments? Not to say
it has some dead links.
By all means, if you have specific updates to contribute, please send
them to aolsfaq-***@therockgarden.ca. The FAQ may be maintained
by one individual, but all the material it contains is contributed.
Sylvain Robitaille ***@encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Eric Pozharski
2018-09-15 12:46:30 UTC
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
Post by Eric Pozharski
Post by Periodic FAQ Pointer
FAQ last updated: Wed Feb 4 10:01:33 EST 2015
Should FAQ be updated to reflect recent developments? Not to say it
has some dead links.
By all means, if you have specific updates to contribute, please send
maintained by one individual, but all the material it contains is
contributed.
Bah, if only you would keep low :( Now I've swiped through it and
youngest version it mentions is 13.1. That suggests the FAQ is posted
but maintained.

Anyway, it's not first time I's peeked dead upstreams. But I'll give it
a try :\

p.s. OTOH I am debian refugee and know nothing about that (recent)
sexshop staff (like I'm totally ignorant). However somehow I think this
also *must* be reflected.
Sylvain Robitaille
2018-09-19 20:40:44 UTC
Post by Eric Pozharski
Bah, if only you would keep low :( Now I've swiped through it and
youngest version it mentions is 13.1. That suggests the FAQ is posted
but maintained.
(you must have meant "... not maintained" ...) That's not entirely
true: it isn't *actively* maintained, but if people submit corrections
or new material it usually gets added (assuming it's appropriate)
fairly shortly after I see it. On some occasions I might suggest edits
before adding to the FAQ, but I do try to add the material verbatim.
Post by Eric Pozharski
Anyway, it's not first time I's peeked dead upstreams. But I'll give
it a try :\
You're right about that. I should setup a regular "link checker" for
the FAQ, but I've not done so.
Post by Eric Pozharski
p.s. OTOH I am debian refugee and know nothing about that (recent)
sexshop staff (like I'm totally ignorant). However somehow I think this
also *must* be reflected.
I'm afraid I have no idea what you're referring to here ("sexshop
staff"???) ...

Eric Pozharski
2018-09-20 09:06:55 UTC
*SKIP*
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
Post by Eric Pozharski
Anyway, it's not first time I's peeked dead upstreams. But I'll give
it a try :\
You're right about that. I should setup a regular "link checker" for
the FAQ, but I've not done so.
Well, fighting wayback machine proved to be more time consuming but I'm
almost done. Also, "link checker" would clean nxdomains and, probably,
404s, but parked domains would stay OK while they aren't.
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
Post by Eric Pozharski
p.s. OTOH I am debian refugee and know nothing about that (recent)
sexshop staff (like I'm totally ignorant). However somehow I think
this also *must* be reflected.
I'm afraid I have no idea what you're referring to here ("sexshop
staff"???) ...
Well, as I understand, for some time Volkerding was working for, barely,
food and shelter. According to my books -- it's slavery. So calling
that whole enterprise 'sexshop' is somewhat valid. OTOH, maybe my
sarcasm went over the top.
jrg
2018-09-20 22:13:35 UTC
So calling that whole enterprise 'sexshop' is somewhat valid. OTOH, maybe my
sarcasm went over the top.
I wouldn't call it sarcasm - I'd call it mixing metaphors. Nothing
wrong with sex shops, per se, sweat shops is probably the term you were
looking for - unless they have Patrick bent over a barrel...

My brain refuses to go there.
Eric Pozharski
2018-09-21 09:29:53 UTC
Post by jrg
So calling that whole enterprise 'sexshop' is somewhat valid. OTOH,
maybe my sarcasm went over the top.
I wouldn't call it sarcasm - I'd call it mixing metaphors. Nothing
wrong with sex shops, per se, sweat shops is probably the term you
were looking for - unless they have Patrick bent over a barrel...
My brain refuses to go there.
Good point. Referring to 'sweatshop' as 'sexshop' was inappropriate
translation. Locally sweatshoping implies weird actions with object's
brain before all. Not to mention, that 'to fuck somebody's brain' is a
thing. I honestly apologize for this misunderstanding.
Eric Pozharski
2018-09-20 18:43:57 UTC
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
Post by Eric Pozharski
Post by Periodic FAQ Pointer
FAQ last updated: Wed Feb 4 10:01:33 EST 2015
Should FAQ be updated to reflect recent developments? Not to say it
has some dead links.
By all means, if you have specific updates to contribute, please send
maintained by one individual, but all the material it contains is
contributed.
It's done. Now let's see how it will fail.
Sylvain Robitaille
2018-09-21 15:21:58 UTC
Post by Eric Pozharski
It's done. Now let's see how it will fail.
I'll try to get to it tonight ...