Top 500!
Martha Adams
2017-11-28 02:15:56 UTC
Seen in today's news cyberspaces, that all of the world's
top 500 supercomputers run -- *Linux*. The piece about it
that I found was Andy Patrizio in NetWorkWorld, "How did
Linux come to dominate supercomputing?", dated 2017 Nov
27 (today). In it, Patrizio discusses why Linux? This
sure pokes a hole in those closed OSs that claim to be
so advanced. Like Luz and etc.

Search on "TOP500 Linux" brings up lots of hits.

Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Mon 2017 Nov 27]
Jens Stuckelberger
2017-11-28 19:00:06 UTC
Seen in today's news cyberspaces, that all of the world's top 500
supercomputers run -- *Linux*. The piece about it that I found was Andy
Patrizio in NetWorkWorld, "How did Linux come to dominate
supercomputing?", dated 2017 Nov 27 (today). In it, Patrizio discusses
why Linux? This sure pokes a hole in those closed OSs that claim to be
so advanced. Like Luz and etc.
Search on "TOP500 Linux" brings up lots of hits.
Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Mon 2017 Nov 27]
But - that can't be true! MIcrosoft says that Linux is a toy, not
suitable for serious work. Microsoft would NEVER lie to us.
Aragorn
2017-11-28 20:34:28 UTC
On Tuesday 28 November 2017 20:00, Jens Stuckelberger conveyed the
following to alt.os.linux.slackware...
Post by Jens Stuckelberger
Seen in today's news cyberspaces, that all of the world's top 500
supercomputers run -- *Linux*. The piece about it that I found was
Andy Patrizio in NetWorkWorld, "How did Linux come to dominate
supercomputing?", dated 2017 Nov 27 (today). In it, Patrizio
discusses why Linux? This sure pokes a hole in those closed OSs that
claim to be so advanced. Like Luz and etc.
Search on "TOP500 Linux" brings up lots of hits.
Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Mon 2017 Nov 27]
But - that can't be true! MIcrosoft says that Linux is a toy, not
suitable for serious work. Microsoft would NEVER lie to us.
I'm not exactly a fan of Microsoft and their wares, but I'm guessing
that the newsflash hasn't reached you yet. Gates and Ballmer have
already long left the Microsoft Campus, and Microsoft's new CEO Satya
Nadella has been embracing GNU/Linux for the last couple of years
already.

At present time, Microsoft is offering up a subsystem for Windows which
supports Ubuntu, similar to how they (used to?) offer a subsystem for
UNIX. Everything's all about The Cloud™ these days, and Microsoft has
many GNU/Linux installations running on their (Windows-powered) Azure
platform.

Of course, I personally still wouldn't want to have anything to do with
that ─ or with them ─ but it just goes to show that "the times they are
a-changing", as one Robert Zimmerman used to sing. ;)
--
With respect,
= Aragorn =
Jens Stuckelberger
Trust Microsoft at your own peril.
notbob
2017-11-29 18:12:06 UTC
Post by Jens Stuckelberger
Trust Microsoft at your own peril.
Kinda like, "Trust Google at your own peril". ;)

nb
Martha Adams
2017-11-30 02:21:10 UTC
Post by notbob
Post by Jens Stuckelberger
Trust Microsoft at your own peril.
Kinda like, "Trust Google at your own peril". ;)
nb
================================

I thik it's appropriate to mention an old observation about
Microsoft business strategy. It is, this strategy follows
a cycle re some particular nuisance (to Microsoft):

Embrace.
Extend.
Extinguish.

This has been around for decades, so I can easily believe
many of today's generation of users haven't seen it nor
experienced its consequences. Microsoft claims to be a
nicer kind of people these days but I think it's a *big*
mistake to *ever* forget this observation re Microsoft
style of business.

Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Wed 2017 Nov 29]
Aragorn
2017-11-29 22:29:44 UTC
On Wednesday 29 November 2017 18:29, Jens Stuckelberger conveyed the
Post by Jens Stuckelberger
[...]
I didn't say I did. But you snipped that part. ;)
--
With respect,
= Aragorn =
Doug713705
2017-11-30 06:47:57 UTC
Le 28-11-2017, Aragorn nous expliquait dans
alt.os.linux.slackware
Post by Aragorn
it just goes to show that "the times they are
a-changing", as one Robert Zimmerman used to sing. ;)
It's a tarp©
--
Je ne connaîtrai rien de tes habitudes
Il se peut même que tu sois décédée
-- H.F. Thiéfaine, L'ascenceur de 22H43
Henrik Carlqvist
2017-11-29 07:44:26 UTC
Seen in today's news cyberspaces, that all of the world's top 500
supercomputers run -- *Linux*.
1990 Linus Torvald gave a speech about world domination. At that time it
was meant as a joke.

hc351(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
***@localhost ***@localhost