New Project - Installing printer drivers.
2018-06-29 13:42:31 UTC
It's a Canon Pixma MG2522 I have deb.tar.gz, rpm.tar.gz and
source.tar.gz and searching how to install is confusing.

Any pointers on how to install would be a great help?

Thanks,

Slackware 14.2-64 - KDE 4.14.32 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263
Sarcastic Fringehead
2018-06-29 14:22:19 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
It's a Canon Pixma MG2522 I have deb.tar.gz, rpm.tar.gz and
source.tar.gz and searching how to install is confusing.
It would be a good idea for you to explain why you want
to do this. Have you used CUPS to try to configure this
printer? Did it find the printer? Did it complain about
a lack of driver? You may need to do this sort of thing
if the printer is brand new on the market, but if CUPS
already has a driver for this you are spinning your wheels.

See http://localhost:631 for CUPS.

DEB files are for the Debuntu family. RPM files are for
the RedHat family. So untar the source and look for a
Readme file for instructions (if you must).
Eli the Bearded
2018-06-29 23:30:31 UTC
Post by Sarcastic Fringehead
Post by Jimmy Johnson
It's a Canon Pixma MG2522 I have deb.tar.gz, rpm.tar.gz and
source.tar.gz and searching how to install is confusing.
Post by Sarcastic Fringehead
DEB files are for the Debuntu family. RPM files are for
the RedHat family. So untar the source and look for a
Readme file for instructions (if you must).
Yeah, if you have source, go there first. If you are trying to install
packages and only have a choice between deb or rpm:

deb is a variant of 'ar'; use "ar x foobar.deb" to extract the contents,
generally there is a control.tar.gz and a data.tar.xz; the data has the
stuff you want to install, and control has the rules for (un)installing it.
"tar xaf data.tar.xz" is usually enough for me.

rpm is a variant of cpio, but it's tweaked enough you need a special
(easy to find) tool called rpm2cpio. With that it's a simple:
"rpm2cpio barfoo.rpm | cpio -i --make-directories".

So rpm is a little easier if you already have the rpm2cpio tool, deb is
likely to work with the software you have already.

Elijah
------
fun fact: an ar archive of plain text will be a plain text file
Jimmy Johnson
2018-07-01 05:24:32 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
[...]
At the bottom of this page http://bit.do/eoDf4 are the drivers.

I've tried a lot of different things to install and for me all dead ends
and plenty of frustration because for one thing I don't know this
software or the slack packages needed for what I'm trying to do, I've
been reading everything I can find with high hopes until my eyes hurt.
Using rpm2tgz worked but when I run installpkg the only package I see
installed is the common package. Also just like I could not get
wicd-kde to work, well, cups is not working the only error I see is that
it can't make a connection, disabling the firewall did not help. The
source package is written for debian and rpm, so from what I read a
control file or some such thing needs to be written, I did try a source
install but no success. I'm not trying to install a network printer just
a local printer on one machine and that is my main desktop. If I boot
Debian/Devuan the printer works using the debian drivers.

Ralph Spitzner
2018-07-01 13:37:49 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Debian/Devuan the printer works using the debian drivers.
Well the just copy over or 'provide' the ppd file to cups

canonmg2500.ppd

-rasp
Jimmy Johnson
2018-07-02 02:06:48 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Debian/Devuan the printer works using the debian drivers.
Well the just copy over or 'provide' the ppd file to cups
 canonmg2500.ppd
I gave it a try, copy from Devuan to this install from folder to folder.

/etc/cups/ppd, /usr/share/ppd, /usr/share/cups/model

Still no printer.

Ralph Spitzner
2018-07-03 04:13:29 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
I gave it a try, copy from Devuan to this install from folder to folder.
/etc/cups/ppd, /usr/share/ppd, /usr/share/cups/model
Still no printer.
Thanks,
I don't know how cups 'indexes' it's filters, but you could
try the 'or provide a custom ppd' option and upload it directly on
the cups interface.

Lost the start of this thread, is the printer recognized upon
connection ?

(dmesg et al)

-rasp
Jimmy Johnson
2018-07-03 04:55:42 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by Jimmy Johnson
I gave it a try, copy from Devuan to this install from folder to folder.
/etc/cups/ppd, /usr/share/ppd, /usr/share/cups/model
Still no printer.
Thanks,
I don't know how cups 'indexes' it's filters, but you could
try the 'or provide a custom ppd' option and upload it directly on
the cups interface.
Lost the start of this thread, is the printer recognized upon
connection ?
(dmesg et al)
No, the printer is not seen and or there is no system log file for cups,
to many things are broken and I'm wondering if maybe I should have
installed a different version, the problems with 14.2 make me feel like
kicking my dog. Is it normal to do a install and find ksystemlog, cups,
wicd-kde broken and have to write a script to start your firewall?

2018-07-03 05:37:43 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Is it normal to do a install and find ksystemlog, cups,
wicd-kde broken and have to write a script to start your firewall?
* ksystemlog mostly works right out the box, but you might have to
configure it for which files you want it to read and you also may (or may
not) run it as root to be able to read some log files.

* cups is not configured by default, I prefer not to use cups myself,
instead I install lprng as I am more used to that system and find it easy
to distribute the same /etc/printcap file to many machines which then get
the same printer settings.

* Even if you do a full install wicd is not installed by default but must
be installed from /extra. This is probably a chosen design as wicd for
many computers would be a bad choice. Wicd is very useful for something
like a laptop where the only user travels between different WLANs.
However, having a logged in user configuring the network for something
like a web server would really make it look like a toy OS.

* The default Slackware installation looks for a rc.firewall script at
boot but does not provide any such script. Again this is because
different machines have different needs. Some machines are in hostile
environments and should be completely locked down, other machines are
supposed to be servers giving their different resources to the network.

regards Henrik
John Forkosh
2018-07-03 11:03:20 UTC
[...] is the printer recognized upon connection ?
No, the printer is not seen [...]
Yeah, I have that problem, but it just seems to be a little cups snafu.
When I point my browser to http://localhost:631
then click "Administration"
then click "Find New Printers" (under the "Printers" heading)
that >>never<< works. It always says "No printers found", even when
I know there's a new printer plugged in and powered up.

The problem is you're not logged in as root, because "Find New Printers"
never asked you to log in. Instead, go back to the localhost:631 screen,
then click "Administration"
then click "Add Printer" (>>not<< "Find New Printers")
That >>will<< now ask you to log in as root.
Once you've logged in as root, then go back to the "Administration"
screen and click "Find New Printers". And now that should work okay
(works for me okay like that, anyway).
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
Jimmy Johnson
2018-07-03 18:54:53 UTC
Post by John Forkosh
[...]
But John, cups is not working and has no log file to help debug it, I
removed cups and reinstalled it to see if that would help but nothing I
do helps even compiling the source for my printer driver yielded a zero
byte file and extracting the ppd file didn't help. What works, works
great! But my main desktop needs a printer. ;)

Thanks,

Devuan Jessie - KDE 4.14.2 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda2
2018-07-04 19:45:16 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
It's a Canon Pixma MG2522 I have deb.tar.gz, rpm.tar.gz and
source.tar.gz and searching how to install is confusing.
Any pointers on how to install would be a great help?
Thanks,
Thanks for the help!
I have a working printer!
The problem was me, I screwed the install, the more I read the more I
learn, but there was too muck for me to read and my eyes got tired, but
I kept going until my eyes went blind, after a eye wash and a 2 day rest
I gave it another try and I'm now printing. YaY!

Cheers!

jrg
2018-07-05 17:36:27 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Jimmy Johnson
It's a Canon Pixma MG2522 I have deb.tar.gz, rpm.tar.gz and
source.tar.gz and searching how to install is confusing.
Any pointers on how to install would be a great help?
Thanks,
Thanks for the help!
I have a working printer!
The problem was me, I screwed the install, the more I read the more I
learn, but there was too muck for me to read and my eyes got tired, but
I kept going until my eyes went blind, after a eye wash and a 2 day rest
I gave it another try and I'm now printing. YaY!
Was it cups you mucked up or what?
earlier you said cups wasn't working - I'm about to go down that road
with a Pixma wireless.

Thanks
Jimmy Johnson
2018-07-05 22:31:59 UTC
Post by jrg
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Jimmy Johnson
It's a Canon Pixma MG2522 I have deb.tar.gz, rpm.tar.gz and
source.tar.gz and searching how to install is confusing.
Any pointers on how to install would be a great help?
Thanks,
Thanks for the help!
I have a working printer!
The problem was me, I screwed the install, the more I read the more I
learn, but there was too muck for me to read and my eyes got tired, but
I kept going until my eyes went blind, after a eye wash and a 2 day rest
I gave it another try and I'm now printing. YaY!
Was it cups you mucked up or what?
earlier you said cups wasn't working - I'm about to go down that road
with a Pixma wireless.
Thanks
I'm still learning, I have it installed but it's a bloated system and
needs to be slimmed down. I miss-configured the install, I could have
ran a bash command and reconfigured the install but choose to reinstall,
it's easy to configure the install wrong and glad I got it right the
second time. In the install config there are two print servers to
choose from, only choose one.

Cheers,

Devuan ASCII - TDE Trinity R14.0.5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda6
Registered Linux User #380263
jrg
2018-07-05 22:57:36 UTC
two print servers to choose from,
I only saw cups on install - what was the one I didn't recognize?
This being slack, its probably lpt1 :)

I wasn't looking for print so much - 1st install on laptop. But the
wireless makes it useful.
Jimmy Johnson
2018-07-11 13:49:40 UTC
Post by jrg
two print servers to choose from,
I only saw cups on install - what was the one I didn't recognize?
This being slack, its probably lpt1 :)
Yes, lp* something, you can only choose one, not both. I got it right
the second time by choosing cups, from there it was a easy printer install.
Post by jrg
I wasn't looking for print so much  - 1st install on laptop.  But the
wireless makes it useful.
I don't have wireless, simple usb.