anyone tried llvm-5.0.1 on slackware 14.2?
Jim Diamond
2018-03-05 00:26:33 UTC

I want some features from llvm-5 but 14.2 only ships llvm-3.8.

I could just install the package from slackware-current and have at
it, but I'm a bit concerned about breakage which only shows up in
weird circumstances that may not happen for weeks. (Breakage that
happens immediately does not worry me.)

Has anyone here tried putting the slackware-current package on 14.2?
If so, how did it work out after a while?

Thanks.
Jim
King Beowulf
2018-03-05 17:29:24 UTC
Post by Jim Diamond
Hi,
I want some features from llvm-5 but 14.2 only ships llvm-3.8.
I could just install the package from slackware-current and have at it,
but I'm a bit concerned about breakage which only shows up in weird
circumstances that may not happen for weeks. (Breakage that happens
immediately does not worry me.)
Has anyone here tried putting the slackware-current package on 14.2?
If so, how did it work out after a while?
Thanks.
Jim
Why not try it out on a clean slackware 14.2 VM (qemu for example)? That
way you can try llvm-5 out without risk to your current slackware
install.

I do this when I try out or test new software.
Jim Diamond
2018-03-06 20:36:57 UTC
Post by King Beowulf
Post by Jim Diamond
Hi,
I want some features from llvm-5 but 14.2 only ships llvm-3.8.
I could just install the package from slackware-current and have at it,
but I'm a bit concerned about breakage which only shows up in weird
circumstances that may not happen for weeks. (Breakage that happens
immediately does not worry me.)
Has anyone here tried putting the slackware-current package on 14.2?
If so, how did it work out after a while?
Thanks.
Jim
Why not try it out on a clean slackware 14.2 VM (qemu for example)? That
way you can try llvm-5 out without risk to your current slackware
install.
I do this when I try out or test new software.
Every now and then I have updated something, and done the "obvious"
tests, and all these tests worked OK. But two weeks later when I am
doing something apparently unrelated, some mysterious error happens,
and since the relevant change was two weeks earlier, trying to pair up
the cause with the effect is tricky.

So unless I started doing "everything" inside the VM, I might not run
into such a problem in any reasonable amount of time.

I realize that asking the question was grasping at straws, but if
someone already knew the answer was "don't try it because ...", I'd be
happy to make use of their wisdom.

I agree that testing things out in a VM is a good idea, but in this
case it would be only a partial test.

Cheers.

Jim