Seamonkey patches
notbob
2018-02-06 22:41:53 UTC
This kinda goes back to my "What else do I need?" thread.

I still have the same ol' 32-bit P4 Vaio, but it's become too long in
the tooth. Now, I've reloaded 14.1 and it's still slow as molasses in
Jan. Appropriate, yes?

According to top, Firefox is using in excess of 90% CPU! I tried
Seamonkey, but can find no security patches in Slackware.com's
"Security Advisories". All the links say, "No such file", when I use
wget to download the file. So far, I've tried 21.40, 21.46, 21.48 and
some -current. Some of these not even found on Slackware.com's
website. Regardless, they all claim, "No such file".

So far, I can log into news.individual.net, but in order to "re-up", I
gotta choose either PayPal or Bank Transfer. Well, a bank transfer is
gonna cost me $45USD! (+ EUR), so that's out. The other icon is PayPal,
who've paid previously by, but this time is does not resolve. Jes
freezes up Firefox, so I gotta Cntrl-Alt-Backspace outta Xorg and
startx, again. News.individual.Net admits some problems with Firefox
users. I may jes change Usenet providers, but I thought I give it one
more try.

Damn! I guess I jes need to upgrade to a 64-bit box! ;)

nb
Eef Hartman
2018-02-06 23:14:16 UTC
Post by notbob
According to top, Firefox is using in excess of 90% CPU! I tried
Seamonkey, but can find no security patches in Slackware.com's
"Security Advisories". All the links say, "No such file", when I use
For 14.1 both firefox (and thunderbird) as well as seamonkey are
end-of-the-line: there will be NO newer versions than
firefox-45.9.0esr
cq
seamonkey-2.46
for which there are packages in the patches/packages tree for that
release of Slackware.

The security advisories are for Slackware 14.2 (but even there the ESR
version of firefox, not the newest) cq for -current, they are NOT
available for 14.1 anymore as firefox 52.x ESR cq seamonkey-2.49
CRASH on Slackware 14.1
BTW: the latest versions for Slackware 14.2 are
firefox-52.6.0esr
and
seamonkey-2.49.1
The latter is actually the latest release of seamonkey ever TO be
released until now on mozilla.org

Slackware current does have a newer release for firefox/thunderbird,
though, but that one only runs IN -current (and is a even heavier
memory/cpu hog):
firefox-58.0.1 (cq thunderbird-52.6.0)
The seamonkey version is the same as for 14.2 as there is no newer one
(the seamonkey people do not follow firefox in their update frenzy,
2.49.1 is from october last year and 2.48 from july, those 2 were the
first updates to seamonkey since 2016).
Eef Hartman
2018-02-06 23:43:57 UTC
they are NOT available for 14.1 anymore as firefox 52.x ESR
cq seamonkey-2.49 CRASH on Slackware 14.1
Relevant sections in the Slackware 14.1 ChangeLog
Fri Apr 21 22:40:12 UTC 2017
patches/packages/mozilla-firefox-45.9.0esr-i486-1_slack14.1.txz: Upgraded.
This release contains security fixes and improvements.
Also, switching back to the 45.x ESR branch due to instabilty of the
52.x ESR branch on Slackware 14.1.
(part omitted)
+--------------------------+
Thu Mar 30 20:18:17 UTC 2017
patches/packages/mozilla-firefox-52.0.2esr-i486-2_slack14.1.txz: Rebuilt.
Recompiled without --enable-optimize to fix crashes.
+--------------------------+
Tue Mar 28 20:30:50 UTC 2017
patches/packages/mozilla-firefox-52.0.2esr-i586-1_slack14.1.txz: Upgraded.
Upgraded to new Firefox 52.x ESR branch.

firefox 45.9.0esr was the last one, released in the 45.x ESR branch.
notbob
2018-02-07 18:43:22 UTC
Post by Eef Hartman
firefox 45.9.0esr was the last one, released in the 45.x ESR branch.
Which is the last update I performed. Thank you for the help.

BTW, what does the "cq" mean?

nb
Eef Hartman
2018-02-07 21:46:28 UTC
Post by notbob
BTW, what does the "cq" mean?
Is Latin for casu quo (direct translation: in which case) and is often
used as a short for and/or, which is what I meant in THIS case,
firefox and/or seamonkey.
notbob
2018-02-07 22:59:53 UTC
Post by Eef Hartman
Post by notbob
BTW, what does the "cq" mean?
Is Latin for casu quo (direct translation: in which case) and is often
used as a short for and/or, which is what I meant in THIS case,
firefox and/or seamonkey.
OK, thnx.

I was looking for some kinda HAM radio connection. ;)

nb
B3n3d1ctus
2018-02-07 01:33:17 UTC
Post by Eef Hartman
Post by notbob
[...]
Mozilla 58.0 runs fine on 14.1, just had to add pulseaudio for sound.

my 2 cents

Ben
John Forkosh
2018-02-07 10:39:49 UTC
Post by B3n3d1ctus
<<snip>>
Mozilla 58.0 runs fine on 14.1, just had to add pulseaudio for sound.
my 2 cents
Ben
Could you please post your /etc/asound.conf (or whatever config files
you're using) for pulseaudio? I've got a 14.1x64 that I installed it
on, but can't seem to configure it quite right (still no sound).
Thanks,
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
B3n3d1ctus
2018-02-07 17:35:31 UTC
Post by John Forkosh
Post by B3n3d1ctus
<<snip>>
Mozilla 58.0 runs fine on 14.1, just had to add pulseaudio for sound.
my 2 cents Ben
Could you please post your /etc/asound.conf (or whatever config files
you're using) for pulseaudio? I've got a 14.1x64 that I installed it on,
but can't seem to configure it quite right (still no sound). Thanks
actually i compiled and installed pulseaudio for /usr/local/*, and that
was it. No rc.pulseaudio and special configurations necessary!

Regards

Ben
John Forkosh
2018-02-08 04:00:03 UTC
Post by B3n3d1ctus
Post by John Forkosh
Post by B3n3d1ctus
<<snip>>
Mozilla 58.0 runs fine on 14.1, just had to add pulseaudio for sound.
my 2 cents Ben
Could you please post your /etc/asound.conf (or whatever config files
you're using) for pulseaudio? I've got a 14.1x64 that I installed it on,
but can't seem to configure it quite right (still no sound). Thanks
actually i compiled and installed pulseaudio for /usr/local/*, and that
was it. No rc.pulseaudio and special configurations necessary!
Regards
Ben
Okay, thanks. I'll take another look at what I was doing,
and see if I can get it to "say something".
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
B3n3d1ctus
2018-02-08 14:44:50 UTC
Post by John Forkosh
Post by B3n3d1ctus
Post by John Forkosh
Post by B3n3d1ctus
<<snip>>
Mozilla 58.0 runs fine on 14.1, just had to add pulseaudio for sound.
my 2 cents Ben
Could you please post your /etc/asound.conf (or whatever config files
you're using) for pulseaudio? I've got a 14.1x64 that I installed it on,
but can't seem to configure it quite right (still no sound). Thanks
actually i compiled and installed pulseaudio for /usr/local/*, and that
was it. No rc.pulseaudio and special configurations necessary! Regards
Ben
Okay, thanks. I'll take another look at what I was doing,
and see if I can get it to "say something".
forget to mention that i used v10.0

Ben