Slackware is 25
Eef Hartman
2018-07-18 10:42:30 UTC
Happy 25th anniversary to the Slackware 1.00 release! When the
original announcement went out on Usenet, I believe it had a UTC
timestamp which has led to some confusion over whether the
anniversary falls on the 16th (which was the date when I made the
post) or on the 17th (which is when most people first saw it)...
but really, what's the difference? We can celebrate on both days
as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for sticking with the project all
these years. Glad I was able to help. :)
I, myself wasn't quite there yet, I only got into it a year later,
when my special Linux hardware arrived and I installed Slackware 1.1.2
on it (BTW: it was a 486/dx66 with ATI Mach32 builtin screen adaptor
and a "whopping" 512MB disk.
I still got that computer although it has been updated a bit (extra
RAM, extra screen memory, network card, extra disk, etc).

But anyway: Happy Anniversary, SlackWare
and Pat, thanks for all the effort you put into it all those years!
Harold Johanssen
2018-07-18 14:18:55 UTC
[...]
cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 4
model : 3
model name : 486 DX/2
stepping : 5
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme
bogomips : 33.28

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 ext3 500M 297M 177M 63% /

With 48MB RAM, Slackware 8.1, a 2.4.18 kernel, and still going
strong. Picked this up in '97 or so, when nobody wanted it because it was
already too old.
Alexander Grotewohl
I love that flags list. I think on my machine there are ~90 of them XD
root
2018-07-18 15:32:09 UTC
[...]
I switched over to Slackware from SLS when the latter closed. I think
I started with SLS when the kernel was 0.9.

I too thank Patrick and the Slackware team for their effort.
n***@moo.uklinux.net
2018-07-19 18:50:25 UTC
Post by Alexander Grotewohl
I love that flags list. I think on my machine there are ~90 of them XD
Apparently I have 28, 81, 93, and 103 respectively, depending on
age of computer. I think a linear interpolation would predict
roughly 30 new flags every 5 years... :-)

/ObHappy AnniversarySlackWare

#Paul
Henrik Carlqvist
2018-07-19 10:15:11 UTC
Post by Harold Johanssen
cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 4
model : 3
model name : 486 DX/2
stepping : 5
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme
bogomips : 33.28
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 ext3 500M 297M 177M 63% /
With 48MB RAM, Slackware 8.1, a 2.4.18 kernel, and still going
strong. Picked this up in '97 or so, when nobody wanted it because it
was already too old.
That would be a candidate to the oldest still running Slackware system,
but I think I have an even older system:

hydran:~> cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
cpu : 486
model : DX/2
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
stepping : 5
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid : yes
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme
bogomips : 33.18

An identical CPU, but less RAM:
hydran:~> free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 15084 14208 876 5008 9200 1880
-/+ buffers: 3128 11956
Swap: 66492 1304 65188

I only have 16 MB in that system.

hydran:~> df -Th
df: illegal option -- h
Try `df --help' for more information.
hydran:~> df -T
Filesystem Type 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda6 ext2 464435 414111 26336 94% /
/dev/hda3 ext2 300545 245635 39387 86% /usr/local
/dev/hda1 ext2 195167 2171 182918 1% /home

hydran:~> cat /etc/slackware-version
cat: /etc/slackware-version: No such file or directory

hydran:~> gcc --version
2.7.2

So, this is Slackware 3.1, also known as Slackware 96. Yes, it has been
running since 1996, for almost 22 years now:

hydran:~> ls -alt /var/log/packages/ | tail -5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 880 Aug 24 1996 cpio
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1089 Aug 24 1996 comms
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 994 Aug 24 1996 bash
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 796 Aug 24 1996 aoutlibs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4280 Aug 24 1996 aaa_base
hydran:~>

regards Henrik
Eef Hartman
2018-07-19 16:30:15 UTC
That would be a candidate to the oldest still running Slackware system,
Mine isn't running Slackware anymore, but it was bought (new) in 1994
and then it only had 8 MB of RAM (and 1 MB of screen memory).
I had it running Slackware up to (and including) 4.0 but by then even
with the extra RAM (extension to 16 MB) etc. it had become too small
for more modern Linux'es, so it went back to being a pure MS-Dos
machine.
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
cpu : 486
model : DX/2
It doesn't mention a frequency: mine was 33 (bus, doubled to 66 for
the CPU itself).
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
I only have 16 MB in that system.
Mine now too, but as I said above, it started with only 8
The disk is (according to the manufacturer) 540 MB but actually only
516 MiB (that is: 516 x 1024 x 1024 bytes).
It also still has both 5.25" and 3.5" floppies and never ever had a
CD-rom drive.
Henrik Carlqvist
2018-07-19 20:59:54 UTC
cpu : 486 model : DX/2
It doesn't mention a frequency: mine was 33 (bus, doubled to 66 for the
CPU itself).
The good thing with these CPUs it that they kind of were the last
generation of intel desktop CPUs which didn't require a cooling fan. A
passive heatsink is enough to cool the CPU. This might be part of the
explanation why the system is still working after all these years.

regards Henrik
Michael Black
2018-07-18 16:17:08 UTC
Post by Eef Hartman
[...]
I saw the changelog last night, meant to post, and then forgot.

Despite the earlier discussion about the 25th maybe being a date for a new
release, I'd forgotten the exact date, but obviously not everyone did.

It was mid-2001 when I switched to Linux, do it's only been 17 years,
which actually is fairly good compared to 25. I knew about GNU from when
Richard Stallman wrote about it in Dr. Dobbs, and I reemmber when Dr.
Dobbs 386BSD or whatever it was called, I certainly remember the
excitement about Minix arriving. But I didn't have a computer good enough
to run it. Finally in late 2000 I bought a used cmoputer for a few
dollars, a 486SLC with 8megs of RAM and a 240meg hard drive. I tried
Debian (because it was "most free") but it didn't have Pine which I had
been using for four years and I wasn't ready to install separately at that
point. And all that fussing over dependencies that Debian does was
daunting. Then I found a clearance copy of "Slackware Linux for
Dummies", complete with the 2 CDROMs, a torn cover so the price was
about $15. I tried that and all was fine, except 240megs of hard drive
was too little, as was 8megs of RAM. So I "splurged" on a used computer,
a 200MHz Pentium with 16megs of RAM and a 2gig hard drive (was it megs?
It's been so long, megs seem wrong), and installed on that, and away I
went. It helped that I'd had computers since 1979, and had a shell acount
at my ISP since 1996, so Linux wasn't all that unfamiliar.

One thing, Debian doesn't seem all that far behind. Wikipedia says
"September 1993", so it trails Slackware by only a few months, if that
date is right. I thought there was a bigger gap.

Michael
Mike Spencer
2018-07-18 20:58:51 UTC
Happy 25th anniversary to the Slackware 1.00 release!
1999: Finally scraped together enough nickels and dimes to buy a used
Pentium I. Installed Caldera Linux from CD in the back of a Great Fat
Book, got it working on the 2nd try. Immediately annoyed by XEmacs.
Hastened to download GNU Emacs. Still annoyed. Contrived to get
Slackware -- 8.x IIRC -- as soon as possible.

Happily, this all happened not long before my last Unix shell account
that I'd had for 10 years went away. Slackware ever since. Now have
machines with 10.x, 11, 12.1, 14.1 and 14.2 working.

Yes, thank you, Pat and all the others who have helped with
Slackware.

Digression: Back in 1989, with a couple of Unix accounts I could use
in person for a few weeks a year and by dialup or DataPac otherwise, I
was telling all my friends, "You gotta get access to email. Really
handy." They all said, "Ewwww, I hate computers! Too geeky for me.
Whaddya, some kind of nerd?"

Now those same friends -- well, most of them -- say, "What?! You don't
use Facebook? No Twitter? Don't use gmail? Don't bank and shop
online? You don't even have a cell phone? Whaddya, some kind of
Luddite?"

Ho hum.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
King Beowulf
2018-07-22 20:18:28 UTC
Happy 25th anniversary to the Slackware 1.00 release!
------snip-----
Digression: Back in 1989, with a couple of Unix accounts I could use in
person for a few weeks a year and by dialup or DataPac otherwise, I was
telling all my friends, "You gotta get access to email. Really handy."
They all said, "Ewwww, I hate computers! Too geeky for me. Whaddya,
some kind of nerd?"
Now those same friends -- well, most of them -- say, "What?! You don't
use Facebook? No Twitter? Don't use gmail? Don't bank and shop
online? You don't even have a cell phone? Whaddya, some kind of
Luddite?"
Ho hum.
This...Not to mention the strangest looks I get wearing any Slackware
gear. The baseball cap is my favorite: covers the bald spot!

Happy Anniversary, Slackware!
Somehow I'm starting to feel a bit old...

"They can pry Slackware from my cold, dead fingers!"
notbob
2018-07-23 19:09:37 UTC
Post by King Beowulf
This...Not to mention the strangest looks I get wearing any Slackware
gear. The baseball cap is my favorite: covers the bald spot!
Testify!!

My old black Slackware t-shirt should fit me, now that I've lost a
buncha weight. ;)

nb