VMware on Slack 14.2
jjge
2019-08-03 16:01:23 UTC
Hello, *
Can I run Slackware Player on VMWare? I tried, but I do not get a
usable system...
Insytallation ends in failure, without clear diagnostics.
jjge
Of course I mean VMWare Player on Slackware...
Henrik Carlqvist
2019-08-03 16:13:08 UTC
Post by jjge
Post by jjge
Hello, *
 Can I run Slackware Player on VMWare? I tried, but I do not get a
usable system...
Insytallation ends in failure, without clear diagnostics.
Of course I mean VMWare Player on Slackware...
I haven't tried VMWare, but qemu works fine.

regards Henrik
dillinger
2019-08-03 17:42:11 UTC
Post by jjge
Hello, *
 Can I run Slackware Player on VMWare? I tried, but I do not get a
usable system...
Insytallation ends in failure, without clear diagnostics.
Run the installer bundle with the -I option (ignore errors) and add:

# Start VMware
/etc/init.d/vmware start
/usr/bin/vmware-usbarbitrator

to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Unfortunately I can't run or test it anymore since the latest version
will not run on my processor and previous versions are not updated
anymore for the current kernel.
I'm using VirtualBox now.
jjge
2019-08-03 19:49:36 UTC
Post by dillinger
Post by jjge
Hello, *
  Can I run Slackware Player on VMWare? I tried, but I do not get a
usable system...
Insytallation ends in failure, without clear diagnostics.
# Start VMware
/etc/init.d/vmware start
/usr/bin/vmware-usbarbitrator
to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
Unfortunately I can't run or test it anymore since the latest version
will not run on my processor and previous versions are not updated
anymore for the current kernel.
I'm using VirtualBox now.
I normally uses VBox, but I just wanted to try Windows 10 (just trying
;-) ) and it simply hangs....
dillinger
2019-08-04 15:24:47 UTC
Post by jjge
Post by dillinger
Post by jjge
Hello, *
  Can I run Slackware Player on VMWare? I tried, but I do not get a
usable system...
Insytallation ends in failure, without clear diagnostics.
# Start VMware
/etc/init.d/vmware start
/usr/bin/vmware-usbarbitrator
to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
Unfortunately I can't run or test it anymore since the latest version
will not run on my processor and previous versions are not updated
anymore for the current kernel.
I'm using VirtualBox now.
I normally uses VBox, but I just wanted to try Windows 10 (just trying
;-) ) and it simply hangs....
Yes, this used to work for me up to VMware Player 12.5.9, I couldn't
install Windows 10 on VirtualBox either.
However, I can now use VirtualBox to run the virtual machine made by
VMware, albeit very slow, since all the Spectre and Meltdown fixes.
jjge
2019-08-05 09:38:59 UTC
Post by dillinger
Post by jjge
Hello, *
  Can I run Slackware Player on VMWare? I tried, but I do not get a
usable system...
Insytallation ends in failure, without clear diagnostics.
# Start VMware
/etc/init.d/vmware start
/usr/bin/vmware-usbarbitrator
to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
Unfortunately I can't run or test it anymore since the latest version
will not run on my processor and previous versions are not updated
anymore for the current kernel.
I'm using VirtualBox now.
Well, at least it installs successfully now-- thanks.
Next problem: I do not see a player screen...
and there is no vmware-player, as far as I can see.
dillinger
2019-08-05 16:26:03 UTC
Post by jjge
Post by dillinger
Post by jjge
Hello, *
  Can I run Slackware Player on VMWare? I tried, but I do not get a
usable system...
Insytallation ends in failure, without clear diagnostics.
# Start VMware
/etc/init.d/vmware start
/usr/bin/vmware-usbarbitrator
to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
Unfortunately I can't run or test it anymore since the latest version
will not run on my processor and previous versions are not updated
anymore for the current kernel.
I'm using VirtualBox now.
Well, at least it installs successfully now-- thanks.
Next problem: I do not see a player screen...
and there is no vmware-player, as far as I can see.
What version did you install?

Did you add those lines to rc.local?

You can check if everything started on reboot with ctrl-alt-f1
(ctrl-alt-f7 to get back to your desktop), there should be about 5
services starting [ OK ]
jjge
2019-08-05 18:50:39 UTC
Post by dillinger
Post by jjge
Post by dillinger
Post by jjge
[...]
I have not yet added the lines to rc.local; instead I entered them by hand.

I will try the correct way next...
jjge
... and, indeed this made the difference. Thanks a lot!
tom
2019-08-28 22:50:31 UTC
On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 21:29:32 +0200
Post by jjge
Post by jjge
Post by dillinger
Post by jjge
Post by dillinger
Post by jjge
[...]
In the future you may want to look into if QEMU can solve your needs
better than vmware.