HDDs lifetimes/reliability, 2.5 in vs 5 in?
Martha Adams
2019-10-20 03:54:48 UTC
Hi, I'm thinking about building a new machine and I've arrived at an
unexpected question. Is tech development pushing out 5-in HDDs?
Are 2.5-in HDDs reliable enough these days for desktop service now?

There's a trend to things gettng smaller. For example, I'm seeing
HDDs up to four or five *terabytes*. And in my last visit to Micro
Center I came across a holder for two 2.5-in HDDs that fits into a
single 3.5-in front panel drive space. So when I make my new
machine, do I want to use older tech? Or maybe, is newer tech a
good way to go?

So my question is, is a good brand of 2.5-in, 1-terabyte HDD
(Toshiba, probably) a good choice now for a machine doing Desktop
service? ??

Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [2019 Oct 19]
Chris Elvidge
2019-10-20 10:10:43 UTC
Post by Martha Adams
Hi, I'm thinking about building a new machine and I've arrived at an
unexpected question. Is tech development pushing out 5-in HDDs?
Are 2.5-in HDDs reliable enough these days for desktop service now?
There's a trend to things gettng smaller. For example, I'm seeing
HDDs up to four or five *terabytes*. And in my last visit to Micro
Center I came across a holder for two 2.5-in HDDs that fits into a
single 3.5-in front panel drive space. So when I make my new
machine, do I want to use older tech? Or maybe, is newer tech a
good way to go?
So my question is, is a good brand of 2.5-in, 1-terabyte HDD
(Toshiba, probably) a good choice now for a machine doing Desktop
service? ??
Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [2019 Oct 19]
What makes you think 3.5" drives use older tech?
If you're building a desktop machine with space for 3.5" (5"?) drives,
you will get: 1) More bangs for your buck, 2) Higher electricity costs,
3) Probably higher noise levels.
However 2.5" drives will allow you to put more drives in the same space,
as you say adapters are available.
Have you considered SSD v HDD?
Chris Elvidge, England
Grant Taylor
2019-10-20 16:38:28 UTC
Post by Martha Adams
Hi, I'm thinking about building a new machine and I've arrived at
an unexpected question. Is tech development pushing out 5-in HDDs?
Are 2.5-in HDDs reliable enough these days for desktop service now?
Did you mean 5" or 3½"?

I very vaguely think I heard about someone working on a new 5" (5¼"?)
drive recently. Something about trying to take the modern density
material and apply it to a larger surface.
Post by Martha Adams
There's a trend to things gettng smaller. For example, I'm seeing
HDDs up to four or five *terabytes*. And in my last visit to Micro
Center I came across a holder for two 2.5-in HDDs that fits into a
single 3.5-in front panel drive space. So when I make my new machine,
do I want to use older tech? Or maybe, is newer tech a good way to go?
What is "older"? Slackware is "old" as in it came out in the early
'90s. But current versions came out in the last year. Cars are "old"
as in they came out in the early 1900s. But we still have brand new
cars. Also, TCP/IP is from the '70s and NNTP is from the mid '80s. So,
I ask again, what is "older" in this context?

I've also seen adapters that will hold six 2½3½ drives in a ½ height 5¼"
drive bay (CD-ROM sized). I'd bet they even make them that hold six
short / thin 2½3½ drives in a ⅓ height 5¼" drive bay.
Post by Martha Adams
So my question is, is a good brand of 2.5-in, 1-terabyte HDD (Toshiba,
probably) a good choice now for a machine doing Desktop service? ??
I don't know about any specific brand. I do know that 2½" drives have
been extremely reliable in servers for the last decade (or longer). So,
if they are good enough for servers, I'd say they are good enough for
desktops.

All of that being said, I think I'd look seriously about m.2,
particularly PCIe interface therein over any SATA (or even SAS)
connected drive, independent of form factor 2½", 3½", etc.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die