What happened to mplayer
2020-04-24 02:53:24 UTC
After updating my original 14.2 using all the patches I find
that mplayer doesn't work with the vdpau driver. I rebuilt
vdpau and libvdpau from Slackbuilds and mplayer still doesn't
play with -vo vdpau but it works with vo -gl. So I went
back to Slackbuilds with the intent of building mplayer
and found no mplayer. I gnome-mplayer and smplayer but
no mplayer. Since I have an NVidia card it has been
my experience that that driver works best.

What happened?

TIA
Henrik Carlqvist
2020-04-24 06:03:53 UTC
After updating my original 14.2 using all the patches I find that
mplayer doesn't work with the vdpau driver. I rebuilt vdpau and libvdpau
from Slackbuilds and mplayer still doesn't play with -vo vdpau but it
works with vo -gl. So I went back to Slackbuilds with the intent of
building mplayer and found no mplayer. I gnome-mplayer and smplayer but
no mplayer. Since I have an NVidia card it has been my experience that
that driver works best.
I can't say for sure why that part of mplayer stopped working, however I
might have an explanation why you cant' find mplayer at slackbuilds:

As mplayer is included in the distribution from the beginning there is no
need to have it at slackbuilds.org. Mplayer does not seem to have gotten
any security updates so the fact that you now upgraded all security
patches should not have affected your installation described by
/var/log/packages/MPlayer-1.2_20160125-x86_64-3

However, the fact that you have an nVidia card makes me suspect that you
are using their third party binary driver. Installing all security
patches means that you probably have upgraded your kernel. When upgrading
your kernel you will also need to rebuild any third party kernel modules.

Yes, third party non-GPL kernel modules sucks in so many ways...

2020-04-24 13:37:37 UTC
As mplayer is included in the distribution from the beginning there is no
need to have it at slackbuilds.org. Mplayer does not seem to have gotten
any security updates so the fact that you now upgraded all security
patches should not have affected your installation described by
/var/log/packages/MPlayer-1.2_20160125-x86_64-3
However, the fact that you have an nVidia card makes me suspect that you
are using their third party binary driver. Installing all security
patches means that you probably have upgraded your kernel. When upgrading
your kernel you will also need to rebuild any third party kernel modules.
Yes, third party non-GPL kernel modules sucks in so many ways...
regards Henrik
Thanks again for responding Henrik. I found that mplayer didn't work
with the existing vdpau driver. When I tried to rebuild the NVidia
modules the make noticed that the kernel I was running was built
with the previous version of gcc. So I did rebuild the kernel and
then was able to build the nvidia modules without complaint. However
mplayer would still not play with the vdpau driver so I rebuilt
vdpau. Mplayer worked all along, just not with the vdpau driver.

I'm pretty sure you are correct about why Slackbuilds does not
have mplayer.

I went through the same process on other machines I maintain
for my friends and their copies of mplayer were not affected.
Rich
2020-04-24 15:43:31 UTC
[...]
Mplayer is distributed with slackware, so you'll find source and a
mplayer buildscript on your slackware install disk (or can download the
same from the slackware website).

Download/retreive the mplayer source, rebuild it (after you've finished
rebuilding kernel and vdpau modules) and then it should work. I
belive, as built on a slackware install disk for a standard install,
the mplayer binaries do not build in vdpau support.
root
2020-04-24 19:11:24 UTC
I'm pretty sure you are correct about why Slackbuilds does not
have mplayer.
I went through the same process on other machines I maintain
for my friends and their copies of mplayer were not affected.
Mplayer is distributed with slackware, so you'll find source and a
mplayer buildscript on your slackware install disk (or can download the
same from the slackware website).
Download/retreive the mplayer source, rebuild it (after you've finished
rebuilding kernel and vdpau modules) and then it should work. I
belive, as built on a slackware install disk for a standard install,
the mplayer binaries do not build in vdpau support.
Thanks for responding Rich:

I tried just those steps and failed. I went to :
mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-14.2/source/git

I downloaded mplayer git-2.9.0.tar.xz
and the Slackbuilds script.
The script chugged away for a while, then bombed out.

So I went through my archives and found the directory
that I built the version of mplayer. You are correct,
the standard mplayer does not enable vdpau so my
.configure used --enable-vdpau
I built mplayer again from my old source. The result
would not run.

mplayer does run with -vo gl, but not with -vo vdpau.

I then noticed a strange file in /etc:
vdpau_wrapper.cfg
Which popped after the grand patch update. This tells
me that something in the system changed regarding
vdpau. Changing or deleting that file in /etc
does not affect mplayer's ability to use vdpau.

Then I went way back into my archives and pulled
up a very early system running 14.2. It must
be almost five years old. I booted into that
system and its mplayer would *NOT* run with
vdpau although it did when it was my current system.

Back then I was running a much older NVidia card
with vga/hdmi output. Now I am running with 4K
output.

I just tried again at a different mirror site.
The ./configure stops at:
No FFmpeg checkout, press enter to download one with git or CTRL+C to abort

It is here where the link to git spins its wheels and bombs. This time
I pulled down the (tiny) ffmpeg tar.xz file and checked
the configure file. There was only a disable for vdpau so I
wemt with the default .configure.

I have built ffmpeg many times before and it always takes
a long time. I wasn't watching all the time, but from
what is coming up on the screen now it looks like
after configuring the ffmpeg chunk and running make
it is building mplayer. It bombed out with source
code errors.
Rich
2020-04-24 19:57:40 UTC
I'm pretty sure you are correct about why Slackbuilds does not
have mplayer.
I went through the same process on other machines I maintain
for my friends and their copies of mplayer were not affected.
Mplayer is distributed with slackware, so you'll find source and a
mplayer buildscript on your slackware install disk (or can download the
same from the slackware website).
Download/retreive the mplayer source, rebuild it (after you've finished
rebuilding kernel and vdpau modules) and then it should work. I
belive, as built on a slackware install disk for a standard install,
the mplayer binaries do not build in vdpau support.
mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-14.2/source/git
Well, there's a problem there. That url above is both wrong and
non-existant.

You really want to go here:

https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-14.2/source/xap/MPlayer/

And then download *all* the files in that directory (they are all
needed to compile mplayer).

I just tested, in a VM, in a fresh 14.2 install downloading the files
at my correct URL above and the build takes a while, but does complete
and created a slackware package ready to be installed. I did not test
building vdpau because it needs the Nvidia proprietary drivers, and I
don't have the ability to emulate an nvidia card in the VM. But
provided you have the Nvidia proprietary driver installed, and have
built and installed the vdpau libs, then downloading from the mplayer
link above, editing the slackbuild to enable the --with-vdpau option,
and running the build should work.
Post by root
I downloaded mplayer git-2.9.0.tar.xz
That looks like you downloaded git, not mplayer, so no wonder the build
of mplayer failed. You can't build mplayer from the git sources, you
have to build mplayer from the mplayer sources.
code errors.
root
2020-04-24 23:46:31 UTC
Post by root
I downloaded mplayer git-2.9.0.tar.xz
I have been working on this damned thing for about 20 hours. I
did get the source from MPlayer and it did build. The
configure found that I had an NVidia card and it built the
link to vdpau. MPlayer was never the problem, I found that
when I tried to run VLC (cvlc) and it crashed with the same
error message as mplayer. The problem from, I guess, Slackbuilds
is in libvdpau-va-gl. My son got me a correct version from
GitHub and now mplayer works with the vdpau driver.

This module inserts three sym links in /usr/lib64/dri
and one of those, I think it was the vdpau-driver
does not inform mplayer that it has been found. mplayer
tries for 239 times and then quits.
and the Slackbuilds script.
The script chugged away for a while, then bombed out.
That happened not on building MPlayer but on some FFmpeg
link before the build of mplayer started. On the second
time the fetch from github worked and I was able to
build from Slackware sources. All in all I have build
MPLayer about 10 times in the last two days.

Thanks for your effort Rich.
andrew
2020-04-24 23:26:43 UTC
What happened?
Mind you, a litle aside from your main question, MPlayer itself has
been dead in the water for quite some time now. This is more than a
little sad for those of us who have followed MPlayer closely for many
years.

Howver Phoenix-like mpv has sprung from the ashes of MPlayer 2 which
itself came from the original MPlayer so in a way MPlayer lives on...

Andrew
You think that's air you're breathing now?
root
2020-04-24 23:49:55 UTC
Post by andrew
Post by root
What happened?
Mind you, a litle aside from your main question, MPlayer itself has
been dead in the water for quite some time now. This is more than a
little sad for those of us who have followed MPlayer closely for many
years.
Howver Phoenix-like mpv has sprung from the ashes of MPlayer 2 which
itself came from the original MPlayer so in a way MPlayer lives on...
Andrew
Thanks. I knew about VLC, but I never heard of mpv. My fingers
are very comfortable with mplayer and it is capable of handling
h264 videos. vlc is almost like mplayer, but it also is
old. I will see what I can find about mpv, but for now my
mplayer is up and running.
Rinaldi J. Montessi
2020-04-25 02:25:22 UTC
Post by andrew
Post by root
What happened?
Mind you, a litle aside from your main question, MPlayer itself has
been dead in the water for quite some time now. This is more than a
little sad for those of us who have followed MPlayer closely for many
years.
Howver Phoenix-like mpv has sprung from the ashes of MPlayer 2 which
itself came from the original MPlayer so in a way MPlayer lives on...
Andrew
Thanks. I knew about VLC, but I never heard of mpv. My fingers
are very comfortable with mplayer and it is capable of handling
h264 videos. vlc is almost like mplayer, but it also is
old. I will see what I can find about mpv, but for now my
mplayer is up and running.
I use mpv as a back end for smplayer. If you're not allergic to GUI in
general it's a fine and well maintained project. Many features.

Rinaldi
--
Critic, n.:
A person who boasts himself hard to please because nobody tries
2020-04-25 03:16:12 UTC
Post by Rinaldi J. Montessi
Post by root
Thanks. I knew about VLC, but I never heard of mpv. My fingers
are very comfortable with mplayer and it is capable of handling
h264 videos. vlc is almost like mplayer, but it also is
old. I will see what I can find about mpv, but for now my
mplayer is up and running.
I use mpv as a back end for smplayer. If you're not allergic to GUI in
general it's a fine and well maintained project. Many features.
Rinaldi
I prefer command line stuff. I took a look at smplayer earlier in
my recent efforts and dumped it. I don't remember why, but I
do remember that smplayer drops all options such as vdpau,
or something like that.

I should say Hi because my wife tells me you are friends.
Hi
root
2020-04-25 03:12:49 UTC
Post by andrew
Post by root
What happened?
Mind you, a litle aside from your main question, MPlayer itself has
been dead in the water for quite some time now. This is more than a
little sad for those of us who have followed MPlayer closely for many
years.
Howver Phoenix-like mpv has sprung from the ashes of MPlayer 2 which
itself came from the original MPlayer so in a way MPlayer lives on...
Andrew
Thanks. I knew about VLC, but I never heard of mpv. My fingers
are very comfortable with mplayer and it is capable of handling
h264 videos. vlc is almost like mplayer, but it also is
old. I will see what I can find about mpv, but for now my
mplayer is up and running.
Well I did take a look at mpv, maybe a little more that a look.
For the look I made the mistake of going to slonly and pulling
up an mpv package with associated peripherals. The peripherals
were all newer than what I was using which then broke mplayer.
My freshly patched 14.2 wasn't new enough for mpv so I never
got it to run.

Then I went back and rebuilt and mplayer.

Then I pulled down a source for mpv from git hub.
mpv uses something called waf to configure and build
mpv. They have kindly include a python script to fetch
waf. The build broke with a source code error right
off the bat, but I saw that waf must have Wall so
I repeated with waf -k build which looked encouraging
until it ended with a huge number of failures.
mpv is really not ready for public use.

I'll pass it on to my son who is git hub friendly.
andrew
2020-04-25 21:42:14 UTC
I'll pass it on to my son who is git hub friendly.
I use this SlackBuild for mpv:

https://github.com/duganchen/my_slackbuilds/blob/master/mpv.SlackBuild

Great script, not standard SBo stuff for sure but it has worked very,
very nicely on my system. And as others have mentioned it works in
well with SMPlayer for the end of a long day when the commandline is
too hard :).

Andrew
You think that's air you're breathing now?
root
2020-04-26 03:21:14 UTC
Post by andrew
Post by root
I'll pass it on to my son who is git hub friendly.
https://github.com/duganchen/my_slackbuilds/blob/master/mpv.SlackBuild
Great script, not standard SBo stuff for sure but it has worked very,
very nicely on my system. And as others have mentioned it works in
well with SMPlayer for the end of a long day when the commandline is
too hard :).
Andrew
I had a hard time building mpv either as git clone or from
Slackbuilds. Over the past several days I have found
Slackbuilds coming up short in workable scripts.

As for mpv, git has a build mpv-build which works very
easily, it doesn't require you to divine which version
of ffmpeg is required or where to put it. Builds
mpv in a few minutes.

After several hours of viewing I am pretty much sold
on mpv. Some of the commands are trivially different from
mplayer, all the invocation commands are different, often
very much so. I am pretty sure mpv won't use multiple
threads, at least it hasn't for me. I am happy that
the config file is relatively compatible with that
of mplayer.

NVidia has a utility that shows gpu usage. Under
mplayer with vdpau it seems to me that gpu usage is slightly
higher than that of mpv, but very close. For the
same program source, I think the higher the gpu usage
the lower the demand on the cpu. mpv doesn't use the
vdpau driver directly, it seems, instead it emulates
it. To get comparable performance with vdpau you
use -vo=gpu in the invocation.

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew, and thanks to
Rinaldi for the behind-the-scenes help.
root
2020-04-26 07:29:04 UTC
As for mpv, git has a build mpv-build which works very
easily, it doesn't require you to divine which version
of ffmpeg is required or where to put it. Builds
mpv in a few minutes.
I should have detailed the steps in building mpv. Here
is a script:

git clone https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv-build
cd mpv-build
clean
use-ffmpeg-release
use-mpv-release
use-libass-master
./rebuild -j4
./install

The build time is about 4 minutes, even faster if you
build it in ram. After installation there is not need
to save the mpv-build directory.
Henrik Carlqvist
2020-04-26 08:28:42 UTC
NVidia has a utility that shows gpu usage.
The name of that command is "nvidia-smi". If you use snmp to monitor the
performance of your machines in the network I have I have written (or
rather forked off) a tool which also gives some of the output from nvidia-
smi to the net-snmp daemon:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/nvgpu-smi-snmp/

If nVidia would have been more opensource friendly there would be no need
for their own "nvidia-smi" or my tool. Instead all that data would be
accessable by the standard opensource tool "sensors" which gives you
performance metrics of the rest of your hardware and also already is well
integrated with net-snmp.

2020-04-26 20:06:22 UTC
After updating my original 14.2 using all the patches I find
that mplayer doesn't work with the vdpau driver. I rebuilt
vdpau and libvdpau from Slackbuilds and mplayer still doesn't
play with -vo vdpau but it works with vo -gl. So I went
back to Slackbuilds with the intent of building mplayer
and found no mplayer. I gnome-mplayer and smplayer but
no mplayer. Since I have an NVidia card it has been
my experience that that driver works best.
What happened?
bash-5.0# slackpkg search player

Looking for player in package list. Please wait... DONE

The list below shows all packages with name matching "player".

[ installed ] - kplayer-0.7.2-x86_64-3
[ installed ] - mplayerthumbs-4.14.3-x86_64-3
[ installed ] - media-player-info-24-noarch-1

bash-5.0# slackpkg search Player

Looking for Player in package list. Please wait... DONE

The list below shows all packages with name matching "Player".

[ installed ] - MPlayer-20200103-x86_64-2

It's in the repos and working on more than 30 installs here.

I also have nvidia hardware on a few machines here and and x works just
fine without building or any installing special software. For me
slackware just works period.

You seem to have some kind of custom install that don't work? Why I say
that is you run 'slackpkg upgrade patches' and I run 'slackpkg
upgrade-all'. What package I don't want, I run 'removepkg package_name'
or 'slackpkg remove package_name'.

Good luck,

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda5
2020-04-26 20:37:32 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
You seem to have some kind of custom install that don't work? Why I say
that is you run 'slackpkg upgrade patches' and I run 'slackpkg
upgrade-all'. What package I don't want, I run 'removepkg package_name'
or 'slackpkg remove package_name'.
Good luck,
For what it's worth I now know what my problem was, what caused it,
and what I should have done. Years ago I did build a custom
mplayer because the Slackware mplayer does not support the
vdpau driver. What I should have done then was add mplayer
to the slackpkg blacklist: I didn't.

A few days ago I learned that I could apply all patches
to my ancient 14.2 distribution and I did so. Shortly
after that mplayer stopped working for me. It stopped
because I was invoking it with -vo vdpau. I found
mplayer worked with, say, -vo gl. It was then I
remembered I built mplayer just for vdpau. That triggered
a 20 hour period of me trying to build an mplayer with
vdpau, and then to build the vdpau driver. It all took
20 hours because the Slackbuilds vdpau driver doesn't
work. It's not the first time I have found something
broken in Slackbuilds. My son (ubuntu user) got me
the correct vdpau driver source and I was able to
finish up a working mplayer.

If you read additional entries in this thread you
will find I have moved away from mplayer at least
for now.

Thanks for responding.
Jimmy Johnson
2020-04-27 07:04:55 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
You seem to have some kind of custom install that don't work? Why I say
that is you run 'slackpkg upgrade patches' and I run 'slackpkg
upgrade-all'. What package I don't want, I run 'removepkg package_name'
or 'slackpkg remove package_name'.
For what it's worth I now know what my problem was, what caused it,
and what I should have done. Years ago I did build a custom
mplayer because the Slackware mplayer does not support the
vdpau driver. What I should have done then was add mplayer
to the slackpkg blacklist: I didn't.
Have you tried using 'KPlayer"? I find it's quality better than the
installed mplayer. 14.1, 14.2 and current I get HD quality using
kplayer. In kde5 I use 'QtAV', it uses less clicks and I like less
clicks. Do you know that 'libvdpau' is installed in slackware current?
It's there for the applications that use vdpau. Maybe the installed
mplayer like you say, is not using it, while kplayer is?
Post by root
A few days ago I learned that I could apply all patches
to my ancient 14.2 distribution and I did so.
When you run 'slackpkg upgrade-all' all your packages get upgraded,
including patches, I would think that would help to keep your system
from breaking?
Post by root
Shortly
after that mplayer stopped working for me. It stopped
because I was invoking it with -vo vdpau. I found
mplayer worked with, say, -vo gl. It was then I
remembered I built mplayer just for vdpau. That triggered
a 20 hour period of me trying to build an mplayer with
vdpau, and then to build the vdpau driver.
The vdpau driver is in slackware kde5 but not installed. I have not
looked into using it, with libvdpau already installed I'm not sure I
need it?
Post by root
It all took
20 hours because the Slackbuilds vdpau driver doesn't
work. It's not the first time I have found something
broken in Slackbuilds. My son (ubuntu user) got me
the correct vdpau driver source and I was able to
finish up a working mplayer.
You are persistent. :)
Post by root
If you read additional entries in this thread you
will find I have moved away from mplayer at least
for now.
When I first started using slackware I tried using other apps that I
felt more comfortable with while using other distros, now I feel
comfortable with what's installed. Maybe I got smarter or just plain lazy.
Post by root
Thanks for responding.
And I thank you,

Slackware64 KDE5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda7