Old kernels
m***@privacy.net
2018-11-06 16:10:37 UTC
Does anybody know where to find old, "historic" kernels? It seems
kernel.org doesn't have an ftp site anymore to archive all kernels.
Rich
2018-11-06 16:34:51 UTC
Post by m***@privacy.net
Does anybody know where to find old, "historic" kernels? It seems
kernel.org doesn't have an ftp site anymore to archive all kernels.
No, they don't seem to, but the https: site seems to have kernels all
the way back to some v1.0 versions:

https://www.kernel.org/

https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/
m***@privacy.net
2018-11-06 17:09:59 UTC
Post by m***@privacy.net
Does anybody know where to find old, "historic" kernels? It seems
kernel.org doesn't have an ftp site anymore to archive all kernels.
No, they don't seem to, but the https: site seems to have kernels all
https://www.kernel.org/
https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/
Thank you, that's what I need. I haven't been able to find that second
link.
Rich
2018-11-06 20:51:27 UTC
Post by m***@privacy.net
Post by Rich
Post by m***@privacy.net
Does anybody know where to find old, "historic" kernels? It seems
kernel.org doesn't have an ftp site anymore to archive all kernels.
No, they don't seem to, but the https: site seems to have kernels all
https://www.kernel.org/
https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/
Thank you, that's what I need. I haven't been able to find that second
link.
I found it by browsing to the first link (the short one), then clicking
the URL under "Location" next to "HTTP" under "Protocol" in the middle
of the screen. From there I clicked "linux" and then "kernel" to get
to the final link.
Jos Bergervoet
2018-11-19 13:42:51 UTC
Post by m***@privacy.net
Post by Rich
Post by m***@privacy.net
Does anybody know where to find old, "historic" kernels? It seems
kernel.org doesn't have an ftp site anymore to archive all kernels.
No, they don't seem to, but the https: site seems to have kernels all
https://www.kernel.org/
https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/
Thank you, that's what I need. I haven't been able to find that second
link.
I found it by browsing to the first link (the short one), then clicking
the URL under "Location" next to "HTTP" under "Protocol" in the middle
of the screen. From there I clicked "linux" and then "kernel" to get
to the final link.
A pity the documents don't usually contain the clear date..
For instance:

<https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01>
which starts as:

= Notes for linux release 0.01
=
=
= 0. Contents of this directory
=
= linux-0.01.tar.Z - sources to the kernel
= bash.Z - compressed bash binary if you want to test it
= update.Z - compressed update binary
= ...
= ...

And at the end we read:

= ...
= ...
= the name '/bin/sh', as that's what the kernel currently executes.
= Happy hacking.
=
=
= Linus Torvalds "***@kruuna.helsinki.fi"
= Petersgatan 2 A 2
= 00140 Helsingfors 14
= FINLAND

That's where it happened! But when exactly did Linus write these words?
Jos
Rich
2018-11-20 19:07:32 UTC
[...]
A common complaint of mine. Too many folks not adding a date to their
work. Then, 20+ years later, when someone asks "when did this occur"
the only material is undated.
Richard Kettlewell
2018-11-21 09:55:03 UTC
Post by Jos Bergervoet
That's where it happened! But when exactly did Linus write these words?
A common complaint of mine. Too many folks not adding a date to their
work. Then, 20+ years later, when someone asks "when did this occur"
the only material is undated.
The 0.01 tarball has timestamps in. That won’t tell you exactly when
those release notes were written but it’ll give you a pretty good
estimate.
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Jimmy Johnson
2018-11-11 05:59:54 UTC
Post by m***@privacy.net
Does anybody know where to find old, "historic" kernels? It seems
kernel.org doesn't have an ftp site anymore to archive all kernels.
Kernel versions 2 and 3 don't seem to have the systemd parts in them and
don't seem to work well as a backdoor, on the other hand kernel version
4 works swell with systemd and seems to make a great backdoor, causing
all kinds of havoc with your firewall.

Slackware64 14.2 - KDE 4.14.32 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9