Another Slackpkg question
Joe Rosevear
2021-06-02 06:00:32 UTC
So here's another Slackpkg question. In my last post I asked about the
usual upgrade drill:

slackpkg update
slackpkg install-new
slackpkg upgrade-all
slackpkg clean-system

I wrote that this drill:

installs, upgrades, and removes packages as needed to give a new set
of packages which includes only those that currently belong to a
standard Slackware installation, and it upgrades all of them to the
version in the official Slackware tree.

I'm wondering about that last part:

and it upgrades all of them to the version in the official Slackware
tree

Does that mean that it upgrades them to the version in the official
Slackware tree *for that distribution*? Or does it cross
distributions--for example 14.1 to 14.2 or 14.2 to 15.0?

I'm guessing that it does not cross distributions, but I didn't see
that stated anywere--so I thought I would ask.

-Joe
David Robley
2021-06-02 08:26:38 UTC
Post by Joe Rosevear
[...]
It uses the mirror and distribution according to the contents of
/etc/slackpkg/mirrors which you must have configured, (by uncommenting a
mirror URL as there are no uncommented lines in the default config file)
to point to a particular mirror and distribution.

From man slackpkg:

FILES
/etc/slackpkg/mirrors
File to specify the location from which to download packages

And in the mirrors file:

# You only need to select one mirror and uncomment it.
# ONLY ONE mirror can be uncommented.
#
# You can use a mirror not included in this file. Many people have mirrors
# in their local networks. A list of all official Slackware mirrors
# (not version-specific, so some mirrors may not have all files) is here:
# http://mirrors.slackware.com/mirrorlist/
#
# Slackpkg only needs to point to the directory that contains
# "ChangeLog.txt", and don't forget the trailing slash.

The documentation is your friend :-)
Joe Rosevear
2021-06-03 06:40:22 UTC
[snip]
Post by David Robley
Post by Joe Rosevear
and it upgrades all of them to the version in the official Slackware
tree
Does that mean that it upgrades them to the version in the official
Slackware tree *for that distribution*? Or does it cross
distributions--for example 14.1 to 14.2 or 14.2 to 15.0?
I'm guessing that it does not cross distributions, but I didn't see
that stated anywere--so I thought I would ask.
-Joe
It uses the mirror and distribution according to the contents of
/etc/slackpkg/mirrors which you must have configured, (by uncommenting a
mirror URL as there are no uncommented lines in the default config file)
to point to a particular mirror and distribution.
Thank you very much! That answers my question completely.

-Joe