Current 15.0 rc1 HDMI sound output
Rinaldi
2021-08-16 13:15:10 UTC
Alsa still broken.

No HDMI in pavucontrol

Reverted to:

alsa-oss-1.1.8-x86_64-2.txz
alsa-utils-1.2.4-x86_64-3.txz
alsa-lib-1.2.4-x86_64-1.txz
alsa-plugins-1.2.2-x86_64-3.txz

and all seems well.

Rinaldi
Jimmy Johnson
2021-08-16 22:33:06 UTC
Post by Rinaldi
Alsa still broken.
No HDMI in pavucontrol
alsa-oss-1.1.8-x86_64-2.txz
alsa-utils-1.2.4-x86_64-3.txz
alsa-lib-1.2.4-x86_64-1.txz
alsa-plugins-1.2.2-x86_64-3.txz
and all seems well.
Rinaldi
I have the same problem on 4 installed slackware current systems, I
can't find those packages.

Slackware Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda12
2021-08-16 23:47:23 UTC
Post by Rinaldi
Alsa still broken.
No HDMI in pavucontrol
alsa-oss-1.1.8-x86_64-2.txz
alsa-utils-1.2.4-x86_64-3.txz
alsa-lib-1.2.4-x86_64-1.txz
alsa-plugins-1.2.2-x86_64-3.txz
and all seems well.
Rinaldi
I have the same problem on 4 installed slackware current systems, this
time it's not just nvidia-legacy, my intel-hdmi also has no sound, I
can't find those packages you posted? I may just wait for the fix.

Slackware Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda12
Registered Linux User #380263
Rinaldi
2021-08-17 00:03:58 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Rinaldi
Alsa still broken.
No HDMI in pavucontrol
alsa-oss-1.1.8-x86_64-2.txz
alsa-utils-1.2.4-x86_64-3.txz
alsa-lib-1.2.4-x86_64-1.txz
alsa-plugins-1.2.2-x86_64-3.txz
and all seems well.
Rinaldi
I have the same problem on 4 installed slackware current systems, this
time it's not just nvidia-legacy, my intel-hdmi also has no sound, I
can't find those packages you posted? I may just wait for the fix.
https://slackware.uk/cumulative/slackware64-current/slackware64/

Check the ap/ and l/ directories.

Good to keep a link to the older packages.

Rinaldi
Jimmy Johnson
2021-08-17 02:54:35 UTC
Post by Rinaldi
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Rinaldi
Alsa still broken.
No HDMI in pavucontrol
alsa-oss-1.1.8-x86_64-2.txz
alsa-utils-1.2.4-x86_64-3.txz
alsa-lib-1.2.4-x86_64-1.txz
alsa-plugins-1.2.2-x86_64-3.txz
and all seems well.
Rinaldi
I have the same problem on 4 installed slackware current systems, this
time it's not just nvidia-legacy, my intel-hdmi also has no sound, I
can't find those packages you posted? I may just wait for the fix.
https://slackware.uk/cumulative/slackware64-current/slackware64/
Check the ap/ and l/ directories.
Good to keep a link to the older packages.
Rinaldi
That fixed all 4 systems, thank you.

Currently I have the packages blacklisted, but I really don't know how
to handle this? How will I know if Patrick fixes the problem?

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 at sda7
2021-08-17 10:40:15 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Rinaldi
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Rinaldi
Alsa still broken.
No HDMI in pavucontrol
alsa-oss-1.1.8-x86_64-2.txz
alsa-utils-1.2.4-x86_64-3.txz
alsa-lib-1.2.4-x86_64-1.txz
alsa-plugins-1.2.2-x86_64-3.txz
and all seems well.
Rinaldi
I have the same problem on 4 installed slackware current systems,
this time it's not just nvidia-legacy, my intel-hdmi also has no
sound, I can't find those packages you posted? I may just wait for
the fix.
https://slackware.uk/cumulative/slackware64-current/slackware64/
Check the ap/ and l/ directories.
Good to keep a link to the older packages.
Rinaldi
That fixed all 4 systems, thank you.
Currently I have the packages blacklisted, but I really don't know how
to handle this? How will I know if Patrick fixes the problem?
It seems to be some config file problem.

But downgrading packages is not needed.

Remove alsa-lib and pulseaudio and then reinstall them. Just tested it
and it works.

On a new install you would not see the problem at all.

Rinaldi

Rinaldi
Jimmy Johnson
2021-08-17 12:15:39 UTC
Post by Rinaldi
-----------------
Post by Jimmy Johnson
It seems to be some config file problem.
But downgrading packages is not needed.
Remove alsa-lib and pulseaudio and then reinstall them. Just tested it
and it works.
On a new install you would not see the problem at all.
Thank you.
Rinaldi
I just wonder how people come up with these fixes?

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda6
Registered Linux User #380263
Sylvain Robitaille
2021-08-18 22:24:16 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
It seems to be some config file problem.
But downgrading packages is not needed.
Remove alsa-lib and pulseaudio and then reinstall them. Just tested it
and it works.
That suggests that you likely had one or more configuration file
that needed some changes merged. Slackware packages typically
do not overwrite configurations, but rather leave new versions in
/path/to/${cf-file}.new

For example,

/etc/asound.conf.new
/etc/pulse/client.conf.new
/etc/pulse/daemon.conf.new
/etc/pulse/default.pa.new
/etc/pulse/system.pa.new

I make a point, after updating packages, to look for such files
(the doinst.sh script in packages typically removes any *.new
files that are identical to an existing file), and for any that I
find, I examine differences, and merge (or replace) as appropriate.
Certainly any such file that was left "stock" in the previous version
can reasonably simply be replaced for the new version, but where I've
applied local configuration, a little more work is required.

I hope this helps ...
Sylvain Robitaille ***@encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2021-08-19 08:09:34 UTC
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
Post by Jimmy Johnson
[...]
According to Patrick the wrong version of libasound was installed.

Thu Aug 19 05:17:32 UTC 2021
a/aaa_libraries-15.0-x86_64-9.txz: Rebuilt.
Fixed wrong version of libasound.so.2.0.0.
Thanks to Eduardo Charquero and PiterPunk.

Alien Linux - AMD A8-7600 - at sda11
2021-08-19 14:09:40 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
Post by Jimmy Johnson
[...]
I installed current yesterday from scratch and I had no
sound at all. I will try to upgrade the package.
root
2021-08-19 16:52:48 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Thu Aug 19 05:17:32 UTC 2021
a/aaa_libraries-15.0-x86_64-9.txz: Rebuilt.
Fixed wrong version of libasound.so.2.0.0.
Thanks to Eduardo Charquero and PiterPunk.
I installed current yesterday from scratch and I had no
sound at all. I will try to upgrade the package.
It seems that I don't know how to upgrade a single
package without the install disk.
Jimmy Johnson
2021-08-19 18:13:49 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Thu Aug 19 05:17:32 UTC 2021
a/aaa_libraries-15.0-x86_64-9.txz: Rebuilt.
Fixed wrong version of libasound.so.2.0.0.
Thanks to Eduardo Charquero and PiterPunk.
I installed current yesterday from scratch and I had no
sound at all. I will try to upgrade the package.
It seems that I don't know how to upgrade a single
package without the install disk.
It looks like you have some reading to do:
https://docs.slackware.com/start

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda6
2021-08-19 18:44:12 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Thu Aug 19 05:17:32 UTC 2021
a/aaa_libraries-15.0-x86_64-9.txz: Rebuilt.
Fixed wrong version of libasound.so.2.0.0.
Thanks to Eduardo Charquero and PiterPunk.
I installed current yesterday from scratch and I had no
sound at all. I will try to upgrade the package.
It seems that I don't know how to upgrade a single
package without the install disk.
https://docs.slackware.com/start
I just downloaded the (one day later) current. Several
packages as well as the kernel were updated. Sound was
not fixed, but I remember a recent post that said that
I should have deleted and re-installed the sound libs.

That's not the only problem I have: it seems a problem
with gpm has arisen. On my machine I do a lot of
graphics (plotting) in console mode. I use libgpm
to interact with the display, and under current the
plotting is broken. If I can't fix this easily it is
a dealbreaker for current.
John Forkosh
2021-08-20 01:54:54 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Thu Aug 19 05:17:32 UTC 2021
a/aaa_libraries-15.0-x86_64-9.txz: Rebuilt.
Fixed wrong version of libasound.so.2.0.0.
Thanks to Eduardo Charquero and PiterPunk.
I installed current yesterday from scratch and I had no
sound at all. I will try to upgrade the package.
It seems that I don't know how to upgrade a single
package without the install disk.
You mean you don't know how to use upgradepkg or that
you can't get a separate copy of the package to be upgraded,
or something else entirely? For getting packages, I use
http://mirrors.kernel.org/slackware/slackware64-current/
(which also supports rsync:// to download the whole release
at one fell swoop)
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
root
2021-08-20 20:56:42 UTC
Post by John Forkosh
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Thu Aug 19 05:17:32 UTC 2021
a/aaa_libraries-15.0-x86_64-9.txz: Rebuilt.
Fixed wrong version of libasound.so.2.0.0.
Thanks to Eduardo Charquero and PiterPunk.
I installed current yesterday from scratch and I had no
sound at all. I will try to upgrade the package.
It seems that I don't know how to upgrade a single
package without the install disk.
You mean you don't know how to use upgradepkg or that
you can't get a separate copy of the package to be upgraded,
or something else entirely? For getting packages, I use
http://mirrors.kernel.org/slackware/slackware64-current/
(which also supports rsync:// to download the whole release
at one fell swoop)
I meant that I had never upgraded single packages. I have
updated everything from an install disk or from a mirror.

It turns out that several packages required update, not
only the sound package.

Rather then try a clean install of Current, I decided
to upgrade the packages one-at-a-time.

I used:
slackpkg update
slackpkg install-new
slackpkg upgrade-all

with the mirror:
http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-current/

The first thing you get is that slackpkg wants https:
So I changed the mirror. Then it wants --no-check-certificate

Then I got a stream of MD5sum errors. So I added -checkmd5=off
only to get a different error, I finally added -delall=off
but still only a few packages were updated.

I ended up with /usr/sbin/slackpkg being erased.

Fortunately I was working with a spare partition.

I'll try again with your mirror and see what happens.

Thanks.
John Forkosh
2021-08-21 02:10:41 UTC
Post by John Forkosh
Post by Jimmy Johnson
[...]
In case it's of any interest,
there's a whole very long list of slackware mirrors at
https://mirrors.slackware.com/mirrorlist/
And at the very bottom of that list is a long list
of rsync:// mirrors
Post by root
Thanks.
hope it helps.
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
Rinaldi
2021-08-21 02:59:12 UTC
slackpkg update
slackpkg install-new
slackpkg upgrade-all
Did you do slackpkg update gpg ?

That would account for the md5sum errrors.

Rinaldi
root
2021-08-21 04:23:33 UTC
Post by Rinaldi
Post by root
slackpkg update
slackpkg install-new
slackpkg upgrade-all
Did you do slackpkg update gpg ?
That would account for the md5sum errrors.
Rinaldi
No, I used the exact commands as shown. I'll
try adding the gpg.

Thanks Rinaldi.
root
2021-08-21 15:18:24 UTC
Post by Rinaldi
Post by root
slackpkg update
slackpkg install-new
slackpkg upgrade-all
Did you do slackpkg update gpg ?
That would account for the md5sum errrors.
Rinaldi
No, I used the exact commands as shown. I'll
try adding the gpg.
Thanks Rinaldi.
The command didn't work with gpg.

I did finally get a working current system.

Sylvain Robitaille
2021-08-19 17:09:54 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
That suggests that you likely had one or more configuration file
that needed some changes merged. ...
According to Patrick the wrong version of libasound was installed.
Thu Aug 19 05:17:32 UTC 2021
a/aaa_libraries-15.0-x86_64-9.txz: Rebuilt.
Fixed wrong version of libasound.so.2.0.0.
Thanks to Eduardo Charquero and PiterPunk.
ok, but you probably still want to check for .new files and merge any
changes ...