Major HDMI audio/video problem fixed in Current install
2018-10-12 12:52:36 UTC
Good news, at least for me. :)

Been having a major problem laptop HDMI video/audio to big screen smart
tv, audio drops and screen goes black while playing movie from laptop,
the problem is so bad I can just boot to desktop and the problem starts.

A fine config of the multimedia settings and using ufw firewall help,
but the problem persist, including using Slackware 14.2. The problem is
gone with Slackware Current. Debian Jessie with sysvinit don't have
this problem. All newer versions do, Debian, Devuan, Ubuntu and PCLOS
also have the problem, every system using Linux version 4.X have the
problem and I think the fix is in the newer Slack Kernel.

Thanks for listening and I hope this helps someone.

Slackware64 Current - KDE 4.14.64 - EXT4 at sda6
Registered Linux User #380263
Rinaldi J. Montessi
2018-10-12 15:12:16 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Good news, at least for me. :)
Been having a major problem laptop HDMI video/audio to big screen smart
tv, audio drops and screen goes black while playing movie from laptop,
the problem is so bad I can just boot to desktop and the problem starts.
A fine config of the multimedia settings and using ufw firewall help,
but the problem persist, including using Slackware 14.2.  The problem is
gone with Slackware Current.  Debian Jessie with sysvinit don't have
this problem. All newer versions do, Debian, Devuan, Ubuntu and PCLOS
also have the problem, every system using Linux version 4.X have the
problem and I think the fix is in the newer Slack Kernel.
Thanks for listening and I hope this helps someone.
You don't say what video card or driver/module you're using.
--
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying
of nothing.
-- Redd Foxx
Jimmy Johnson
2018-10-15 11:39:18 UTC
Post by Rinaldi J. Montessi
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Good news, at least for me. :)
Been having a major problem laptop HDMI video/audio to big screen
smart tv, audio drops and screen goes black while playing movie from
laptop, the problem is so bad I can just boot to desktop and the
problem starts.
A fine config of the multimedia settings and using ufw firewall help,
but the problem persist, including using Slackware 14.2.  The problem
is gone with Slackware Current.  Debian Jessie with sysvinit don't
have this problem. All newer versions do, Debian, Devuan, Ubuntu and
PCLOS also have the problem, every system using Linux version 4.X have
the problem and I think the fix is in the newer Slack Kernel.
Thanks for listening and I hope this helps someone.
You don't say what video card or driver/module you're using.
You didn't ask. :)

It's not this AMD system, this is my main desktop and it is using nvidia
and does have HDMI that I have NOT tested on the smart tv, it's just not
convenient to do that.

The system I'm using for multimedia is a Intel Core i7-3540M, that's a
Ivebridge Mobile currently using the i915 driver.

Looking at my system log the difference is dhcpcd is not running when I
bring eth0 down on slackware current. I'm still testing, the network
cable is plugged in, wireless is off. But it is connected to a Smart TV
and it has computer too using wireless to stream, both are connected to
the same router, the laptop is hard wired and the tv is wireless.

On other systems the system log says I get the kernel binding with the
NIC and trying to get outside http while I have eth0 down and that is
when the audio stops and the screen goes black. That's when ufw blocks
the kernel call, but the kernel insist on getting a outside line and
hammers the firewall consistently.

I'm still testing, currently watching 'Disney Cinderella 2015' without
interruptions. :)

Slackware64 Current - KDE 4.14.38 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
2018-10-18 02:49:09 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Rinaldi J. Montessi
Post by Jimmy Johnson
[...]
Conclusion my Intel driver needs to be changed, it's effected by these
kernel calls, my firewall is stopping the kernel internet connection but
it is still interrupting the HDMI audio/video.

I plugged in the nvidia, the kernel calls are still there trying to get
outside internet and my firewall is still stopping it, this stuff is in
my system log, but the nvidia driver works without interruption, but I'm
still testing.

Like I said, I would like to try another intel video driver, anybody
know if there is something else I can try besides the i915 it's using?
And how to install it?

Slackware64 Current - KDE 4.14.38 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
2018-10-29 06:40:23 UTC
Post by Rinaldi J. Montessi
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Good news, at least for me. :)
Been having a major problem laptop HDMI video/audio to big screen
smart tv, audio drops and screen goes black while playing movie from
laptop, the problem is so bad I can just boot to desktop and the
problem starts.
A fine config of the multimedia settings and using ufw firewall help,
but the problem persist, including using Slackware 14.2.  The problem
is gone with Slackware Current.  Debian Jessie with sysvinit don't
have this problem. All newer versions do, Debian, Devuan, Ubuntu and
PCLOS also have the problem, every system using Linux version 4.X have
the problem and I think the fix is in the newer Slack Kernel.
Thanks for listening and I hope this helps someone.
You don't say what video card or driver/module you're using.
If you where thinking a video driver problem then you where spot on, to
bad you didn't try to help.

The Intel E1000E driver is a driver both Linus and LWN.net questioned
and did not want, they wanted the older E1000 driver. Using nvidia or
radeon on AMD or Intel, I've tested both/all and the HDMI audio/video
problem on Smart TV is gone. I've spent a few hundred dollars to test
this, my multimedia is important to me. :)

Slackware64 14.2 - KDE 4.14.32 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263
Rinaldi J. Montessi
2018-10-30 00:22:33 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Rinaldi J. Montessi
Post by Jimmy Johnson
[...]
Indeed. I should have known intuitively which video card and module you
required.
--
Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip
around the Sun.
Jimmy Johnson
2018-11-01 03:32:27 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Rinaldi J. Montessi
Post by Jimmy Johnson
[...]
You did not ask! Maybe you don't know what a question is?

Debian Wheezy - KDE 4.8.4 - EXT4 at sda2
2018-11-01 05:19:54 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
You did not ask! Maybe you don't know what a question is?
He pointed out exactly what was missing in your question. Maybe you need
to read up on this:

Cite from the page above:

-8<-------------------
Stupid: I'm having problems with my motherboard. Can anybody help?
Smart: I tried X, Y, and Z on the S2464 motherboard. When that didn't
work, I tried A, B, and C....
-8<-------------------

2018-11-06 19:47:55 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
You did not ask! Maybe you don't know what a question is?
He pointed out exactly what was missing in your question. Maybe you need
-8<-------------------
Stupid: I'm having problems with my motherboard. Can anybody help?
Smart: I tried X, Y, and Z on the S2464 motherboard. When that didn't
work, I tried A, B, and C....
-8<-------------------
regards Henrik
The only problem with your theory is..I didn't ask a question.

Dan C
2018-10-31 02:02:19 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Rinaldi J. Montessi
Post by Jimmy Johnson
[...]
He did try, you ignorant stooge.

You were just too stupid to realize it. Bugger off.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet stepped on the land mine.
Thanks, Obama: Loading Image...
Jimmy Johnson
2018-11-07 23:04:07 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Good news, at least for me. :)
Been having a major problem laptop HDMI video/audio to big screen smart
tv, audio drops and screen goes black while playing movie from laptop,
the problem is so bad I can just boot to desktop and the problem starts.
A fine config of the multimedia settings and using ufw firewall help,
but the problem persist, including using Slackware 14.2.  The problem is
gone with Slackware Current.  Debian Jessie with sysvinit don't have
this problem. All newer versions do, Debian, Devuan, Ubuntu and PCLOS
also have the problem, every system using Linux version 4.X have the
problem and I think the fix is in the newer Slack Kernel.
Thanks for listening and I hope this helps someone.
For those of you that wish to have a multimedia system to get HDMI audio
and video out of your computer and into a Smart TV..

I've done extensive testing using different laptops, I started with
Intel using Intel video, works fine with kernel v.2 and v.3, craps out
with v.4, that's when the black screens start with no audio or sometimes
just glitches and the sound of static.

Next I used AMD with radeon using the fglrx driver and no problems with
kernel v.2,3,4.

Next I used my main desktop, AMD with nvidia using the nvidia driver
with no problems with kernel v.2,3,4.

Next I used Intel laptop with Intel core cpu and radeon using the fglrx
driver and no problems with kernel v.2,3,4.

I've tested on Debian, Ubuntu, Devuan and Slackware with both Devuan and
Slackware having the lest problems, I figure Slackware and Devuan are
better configured and using a better choice of system options and packages.

Now the worst of the test, the Intel using Intel HD video is a powerful
Core i7 with 12GB RAM and I wanted to test it some more, but Linux is
Linux, so I pulled the hard drive and put in another and dedicated it
to BSD, I'm telling you that BSD has calmed the Intel down, it's so
freaking stable, it just sets there and does not do a damned thing
unless I want it to do something, but I have not figured out how to get
audio out of HDMI while using the BSD, the BSD video is stable, but
still working on getting audio.

Slackware64 14.2 - KDE 4.14.32 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9