Help with USB printer
Harold Johanssen
2018-08-24 23:34:32 UTC
I have an old HP Photosmart 7960 USB printer that has worked very
well over the years. Two days ago I noticed that, all of a sudden, it
stopped working. I started and stopped CUPS several times, to no avail. I
even rebooted the system (Slackware 14.2) again without success. What is
intriguing is that the printer cannot be seen even at USB level - the
outout from lsusb -v is the same, whether or not the printer is plugged
into the USB port. Any USB port, at that.

I can accept that a particular USB port has gone bad, but not all
of them. At any rate, when I plug in other devices (e.g. USB sticks,
phones) they clearly work. I am uttely puzzled as to why this printer,
all of a sudden, can't at all be seen by my Slackware 14.2 box. I have
not been installing any third party software; I have just been keeping up
to date with patches for Slackware 14.2.

Any ideas?
Harold Johanssen
2018-08-25 00:04:28 UTC
[...]
Well, as it happens amazingly often, shortly after I posted it
started to work again. The only difference is that I unplugged the
printer completely - both the USB cable and the power cable. Still no
clue why it stopped working, and why this fixed it.
Giovanni
2018-08-25 06:25:36 UTC
Post by Harold Johanssen
Post by Harold Johanssen
Any ideas?
Well, as it happens amazingly often, shortly after I posted it
started to work again. The only difference is that I unplugged the
printer completely - both the USB cable and the power cable. Still no
clue why it stopped working, and why this fixed it.
You applied the Windows method to the printer.
Its hardware has been reset and reinitialized thus fixing a lockup
condition. Why it happened? From your description it appears that the
USB interface was locked, not responding any more.

Ciao
Giovanni
--
A computer is like an air conditioner,
it stops working when you open Windows.
< http://giovanni.homelinux.net/ >
notbob
2018-08-26 22:05:38 UTC
Post by Harold Johanssen
I have an old HP Photosmart 7960 USB printer that has worked very
well over the years.
Likewise, I have Brother FAX 2840. Worked great ....until..... the
toner (b/w laser printer) went belly-up (1/4th used). The manual sez to
use the digital menu to change the toner cartridge to "the end", but it
won't do it. Even the support droid goes, "what are you talking about?".

I couldn't find the manual while talking to support, but I have it now.
The manual still sez I should be able to fix the problem. but it doesn't
work. 8|

nb