Unreadable text
Bob
2021-04-27 22:18:26 UTC
Just installed Slackware 14.2 current as duel boot with Windows10 (UEFI)
on my new Dell Latitude laptop. The installation boot text and all
subsequent boots showed text so small I can barely read with my reading
glasses. In previous Slackware installations I was able to ultimately get
satisfactory text by adding to the append line of the lilo.conf file
append "video=640x480 nomodeset" and executing lilo. Since I am now
booting with elilo I need some advice on how to get reasonable sized text.
after booting. xfce text could also use some enlargement.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bob
John Forkosh
2021-04-28 04:11:30 UTC
Post by Bob
Just installed Slackware 14.2 current as duel boot with Windows10 (UEFI)
Yeah, "duel boot with Windows"; my linux vs windows discussions
usually end up in a sword fight, too. Good one:)
Post by Bob
on my new Dell Latitude laptop. The installation boot text and all
subsequent boots showed text so small I can barely read with my reading
glasses. In previous Slackware installations I was able to ultimately get
satisfactory text by adding to the append line of the lilo.conf file
append "video=640x480 nomodeset" and executing lilo. Since I am now
booting with elilo I need some advice on how to get reasonable sized text.
after booting. xfce text could also use some enlargement.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bob
I'm using current64, and can't recall whether or not the following
stuff is available under 14.2 and works as advertised...

terminal mode: try
setfont ter-v32b
and man setfont for more info
in particular, to choose a screen font you
may like better than ter-v32b
under X: try
xrandr -s 1024x768
and man xrandr for more info
in particular, first just type xrandr (no args)
to get a list of available resolutions, and then
choose one of those that you like (instead of
1024x768 if that's not one of the available ones)
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
Henrik Carlqvist
2021-04-28 05:23:49 UTC
Post by Bob
Just installed Slackware 14.2 current as duel boot with Windows10 (UEFI)
on my new Dell Latitude laptop. The installation boot text and all
subsequent boots showed text so small I can barely read with my reading
glasses. In previous Slackware installations I was able to ultimately
get satisfactory text by adding to the append line of the lilo.conf file
append "video=640x480 nomodeset" and executing lilo. Since I am now
booting with elilo I need some advice
If I remember right I got the same experiences when booting with UEFI.The
kernel parameter nomodeset seems to no longer work as the UEFI BIOS
selects graphics resolution. I wasn't using elilo but saw this with
syslinux. Another "drawback" from this was that you will get graphical
penguins for each CPU core at boot.

The only way for you to choose graphics resolution at boot the way you
used to is probably to switch to legacy boot and use some legacy boot
utility like lilo. However, that might be hard. Maybe your hardware does
not support legacy boot and even if it does you will probably have to
sacrivice the dual boot functionality with Windows 10.

In my experience dual boot is not to much use. You will end up running
only one OS anyway. Rebooting your machine just to start another
application in another OS is not very convenient. An alternative to dual
boot might be virtualization, running your secondary OS in a virtual
machine like qemu, vmware or virtualbox. Doing so you will still need to
boot your secondary OS in the virtual machine to reach any of its
applications, but at least you do not have to sacrifice all your running
applications in your current OS.

2021-04-30 17:43:32 UTC
Rebooting your machine just to start another
application in another OS is not very convenient. An alternative to dual
boot might be virtualization, running your secondary OS in a virtual
machine like qemu, vmware or virtualbox.
I disagree, but to each their own. I don't do windows or v-box but run
many systems, multi-booting is how I do it, sometimes another system is
better for what I want to do and sure as heck saves time.

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda6
Registered Linux User #380263
anthk
2021-04-28 17:01:04 UTC
Post by Bob
Just installed Slackware 14.2 current as duel boot with Windows10 (UEFI)
on my new Dell Latitude laptop. The installation boot text and all
subsequent boots showed text so small I can barely read with my reading
glasses. In previous Slackware installations I was able to ultimately get
satisfactory text by adding to the append line of the lilo.conf file
append "video=640x480 nomodeset" and executing lilo. Since I am now
booting with elilo I need some advice on how to get reasonable sized text.
after booting. xfce text could also use some enlargement.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bob
Try installing a bigger font from SlackBuilds, for example this:

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/solarize-12x29-psf/

then look up /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts and set up

/etc/rc.d/rc.font such as:

setfont -v Solarize.12x29

and chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.font.
Then, reboot.
Bob
2021-04-29 22:11:13 UTC
Thanks guys for getting me over that hurdle.