Problem with installing 14.2 on proliant dl380 gen5
vaso
2019-09-22 19:51:22 UTC
Hello all,

Did anyone can help me to install 14.2 on proliant dl380 gen5.
Kernel found RAID controller and setup install all packages but when lilo menu appears to install it on pen drive or to hard drive system freezes.
Sylvain Robitaille
2019-09-27 15:21:42 UTC
Post by vaso
Did anyone can help me to install 14.2 on proliant dl380 gen5.
Kernel found RAID controller and setup install all packages but
when lilo menu appears to install it on pen drive or to hard drive
system freezes.
That seems really odd. What's the RAID controller? I've seen with
E200i interfaces, for example, where you might need to provide an option
to the hpsa kernel module for it to be recognized, but in those cases
you wouldn't have gotten as far as you already have ...
Sylvain Robitaille ***@encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada
vaso
2019-09-27 16:01:00 UTC
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
Post by vaso
Did anyone can help me to install 14.2 on proliant dl380 gen5.
Kernel found RAID controller and setup install all packages but
when lilo menu appears to install it on pen drive or to hard drive
system freezes.
That seems really odd. What's the RAID controller? I've seen with
E200i interfaces, for example, where you might need to provide an option
to the hpsa kernel module for it to be recognized, but in those cases
you wouldn't have gotten as far as you already have ...
Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada
RAID is HP Smart Array P400, kernel can see and I can install all packages but when comes to lilo setup server freezes and I cannot change consoles to search for errors.
Sounds like a bug in lilo ... I'm not sure.
For now it's running on FC30 with kernel from FC25 because RooHat decided remove cciss driver from their kernels.
Rich
2019-09-27 16:50:13 UTC
Post by vaso
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
Post by vaso
Did anyone can help me to install 14.2 on proliant dl380 gen5.
Kernel found RAID controller and setup install all packages but
when lilo menu appears to install it on pen drive or to hard drive
system freezes.
That seems really odd. What's the RAID controller? I've seen with
E200i interfaces, for example, where you might need to provide an
option to the hpsa kernel module for it to be recognized, but in
those cases you wouldn't have gotten as far as you already have ...
RAID is HP Smart Array P400, kernel can see and I can install all
packages but when comes to lilo setup server freezes and I cannot
change consoles to search for errors. Sounds like a bug in lilo ...
More likely a limitation in Lilo. Lilo uses the BIOS int13 calls to
load the initial part of the kernel. It looks like Lilo does not have
any way to load anything from the RAID array.

Do you have any option to install a single drive on a more standard I/O
port (scsi/sca/sata/etc.) in the machine. If you can, and you can set
it up to boot from that drive, then you should be able to put the
kernel and lilo on that drive to get things booted enough for the
kernel to then see, and activate, the raid arrays.
Post by vaso
I'm not sure. For now it's running on FC30 with kernel from FC25
because RooHat decided remove cciss driver from their kernels.
What boot loader ddoes FC30 use? Maybe use the same boot loader that
FC30 uses?
Sylvain Robitaille
2019-09-30 16:38:49 UTC
Post by vaso
RAID is HP Smart Array P400, kernel can see and I can install all
packages but when comes to lilo setup server freezes and I cannot
change consoles to search for errors. Sounds like a bug in lilo
... I'm not sure.
If the system freezes and you're unable to use the console, this is a
problem in the kernel, not with lilo.
Post by vaso
For now it's running on FC30 with kernel from FC25 because RooHat
decided remove cciss driver from their kernels.
I suggest that you try the hpsa driver instead of cciss, adding as an
option "hpsa_allow_any=1". Your disk device names might change, but it
should work (we have different versions of Linux running on dozens of
ProLiant systems here, of various ages and using several different
generations of Smart Array controllers. We've had no trouble using the
hpsa driver, for several years now, though I admit none of them using
lilo as a boot loader).

I hope this helps ...