Screen resolution when booting into different partition
The Real Bev
2021-08-18 16:42:41 UTC
I use the command:

huge.s root=/dev/xxyy rdinit=ro

to do this, but the resulting screen is 80x20, which is intolerable. Is
there something I can add to this command to change the resolution? I'd
like vga=791 if possible.
--
Cheers, Bev
If violence isn't solving the problem, you're not using enough of it.
Henrik Carlqvist
2021-08-18 16:53:33 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
huge.s root=/dev/xxyy rdinit=ro
to do this, but the resulting screen is 80x20, which is intolerable. Is
there something I can add to this command to change the resolution? I'd
like vga=791 if possible.
Did you try:

huge.s root=/dev/xxyy rdinit=ro vga=791

?

regards Henrik
The Real Bev
2021-08-18 18:29:47 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
huge.s root=/dev/xxyy rdinit=ro
to do this, but the resulting screen is 80x20, which is intolerable. Is
there something I can add to this command to change the resolution? I'd
like vga=791 if possible.
huge.s root=/dev/xxyy rdinit=ro vga=791
Yes, just after I posted :-(

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm experimenting with the slackware-current ISO. I find that the
command line has changed and now instead of rdinit you use initrd and
the commands to the frame buffer come before the root.

The following line works to get VGA=791:

huge.s vga=791 root=/dev/xxyy initrd= ro

But I'd rather have the mode set to give me 1920x1080, so it seems as
though the boot line is running with nomodeset. I tried adding modeset
or modeset=1 in place of the VGA, but with that I get the 80x24 display.
--
Cheers, Bev
Todd Flanders' hobbies include being quiet on long rides,
clapping to songs and diabetes.
Chris Elvidge
2021-08-18 19:42:30 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
Post by The Real Bev
huge.s root=/dev/xxyy rdinit=ro
to do this, but the resulting screen is 80x20, which is intolerable. Is
there something I can add to this command to change the resolution? I'd
like vga=791 if possible.
huge.s root=/dev/xxyy rdinit=ro vga=791
Yes, just after I posted :-(
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm experimenting with the slackware-current ISO. I find that the
command line has changed and now instead of rdinit you use initrd and
the commands to the frame buffer come before the root.
huge.s vga=791 root=/dev/xxyy initrd= ro
But I'd rather have the mode set to give me 1920x1080, so it seems as
though the boot line is running with nomodeset. I tried adding modeset
or modeset=1 in place of the VGA, but with that I get the 80x24 display.
Try 'vga=ask' and follow the instructions
--
Chris Elvidge
England
The Real Bev
2021-08-18 19:45:41 UTC
Post by Chris Elvidge
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
Post by The Real Bev
huge.s root=/dev/xxyy rdinit=ro
to do this, but the resulting screen is 80x20, which is intolerable. Is
there something I can add to this command to change the resolution? I'd
like vga=791 if possible.
huge.s root=/dev/xxyy rdinit=ro vga=791
Yes, just after I posted :-(
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm experimenting with the slackware-current ISO. I find that the
command line has changed and now instead of rdinit you use initrd and
the commands to the frame buffer come before the root.
huge.s vga=791 root=/dev/xxyy initrd= ro
But I'd rather have the mode set to give me 1920x1080, so it seems as
though the boot line is running with nomodeset. I tried adding modeset
or modeset=1 in place of the VGA, but with that I get the 80x24 display.
Try 'vga=ask' and follow the instructions
Thanks.

The problem comes from /isolinux/isolinux.cfg which forces a null modset.

I've tried overriding by adding modeset or modeset=1 but that doesn't
override the null modeset.
--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't care who your father is! Drop that cross
one more time and you're out of the parade!"
Henrik Carlqvist
2021-08-19 06:11:54 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
The problem comes from /isolinux/isolinux.cfg which forces a null modset.
If there is no easier solution to the problem, it is possible to make a
copy of the DVD contents, change isolinux.cfg in that copy and create a
new iso image using mkisofs.