Slackware and Fujitsu LifeBook E744
Milk
2019-09-19 17:54:43 UTC
Good evening

I'm trying to run Slackware but it stucks to keyboard selection.
It boots up to keyboard selection. It identyfies as Slackware64 15.
Linux Kernel 4.19.72. Booted from USB (usbboot.img). Also tryed 14.2 but
makes same. Also tryed huge and kms kernels. My hardware is Fujitsu Li-
feBook E744 i7-4702MQ with 12 GB of memory and 500 GB of Samsung SSD EVO
850. Is there some way to get working or should I use something else ??
Thank you!

-Milk-
John Forkosh
2019-09-20 04:41:18 UTC
Post by Milk
Good evening
I'm trying to run Slackware but it stucks to keyboard selection.
It boots up to keyboard selection. It identyfies as Slackware64 15.
Linux Kernel 4.19.72. Booted from USB (usbboot.img). Also tryed 14.2 but
makes same. Also tryed huge and kms kernels. My hardware is Fujitsu Li-
feBook E744 i7-4702MQ with 12 GB of memory and 500 GB of Samsung SSD EVO
850. Is there some way to get working or should I use something else ??
Thank you!
-Milk-
Is your problem similar to mine described here
(beware multiple-line url)...

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/current64-install-hangs-at-keyboard-map-select-pressing-return-or-1-just-hangs-4175660840/

In short,
The box is an older VivoPC VM62N-G050R. And I'd already successfully
installed slackware, dual-booting with the pre-installed Win8.1.
And everything was running fine until a few days ago.
Then the hard drive worked loose from its sata connector. So I reseated
the disk. But when I rebooted, Win8.1 came up, despite slackware having
been set as first in the uefi boot order. Rebooting and going into the bios
showed no more slackware. It had disappeared and nothing I tried could
recover it. So I decided to reinstall, and the usb install stick seemed
to be booting fine. But then it printed the keyboard map select message,
and then just hung. That happened several times, with several different
slackware install usb sticks. [more info at above url]
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
Milk
2019-09-21 12:46:09 UTC
Post by John Forkosh
Is your problem similar to mine described here
(beware multiple-line url)...
No I don't think so!
Post by John Forkosh
[...]
Must be something in this machine. Tryed out older Slackware. Slack-
ware64 13.0 and it also stuck to keyboard map selection. Gotta install
some other Linux distro. Thanks !!!

-Milk-
John Forkosh
2019-09-22 02:38:22 UTC
Post by Milk
Post by John Forkosh
[...]
Actually, sounds pretty much the same problem -- after my Vivo PC hung
after displaying the keyboard map selection message, I tried booting my
older 14.2x64 and 14.1x64 dvd's, and both hung at exactly the same point.
As per linuxquestions thread, my best guess is still that it's some
bios setting. Maybe my disk working loose caused the bios to reset,
and it's a setting I failed to notice and fix, even after exhaustively
examining and re-examining every screen and setting. But my gparted
usb stick boots and runs just fine.
Anybody have any idea what might be wrong, or what Milk and I might
try to further diagnose the situation??? (And please reply quick,
before he sours on slackware:)
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
Milk
2019-09-22 09:33:57 UTC
Post by John Forkosh
Actually, sounds pretty much the same problem -- after my Vivo PC hung
after displaying the keyboard map selection message, I tried booting my
older 14.2x64 and 14.1x64 dvd's, and both hung at exactly the same point.
As per linuxquestions thread, my best guess is still that it's some
bios setting. Maybe my disk working loose caused the bios to reset,
and it's a setting I failed to notice and fix, even after exhaustively
examining and re-examining every screen and setting. But my gparted
usb stick boots and runs just fine.
Anybody have any idea what might be wrong, or what Milk and I might
try to further diagnose the situation??? (And please reply quick,
before he sours on slackware:)
Pretty much!

Tried out both CSM and UEFI boot because Slackware officially support
EFI boot since 14.1. 13.0 tried out in CSM mode. Also have Win 10 also
on my SSD. Wanna dual-boot system. Now I'm running Mageia 7.1 also.
This is running well...
Milky
2019-10-20 13:41:39 UTC
  Pretty much!
  Tried out both CSM and UEFI boot because Slackware officially support
  EFI boot since 14.1. 13.0 tried out in CSM mode. Also have Win 10 also
  on my SSD. Wanna dual-boot system. Now I'm running Mageia 7.1 also.
  This is running well...
Nobody knows about that ? :) Tried again with lastest current
Slackare 15 (Kernel 4.19.80). Makes the same. Tried out to set
hardrive (SSD) to IDE mode but didn't help anything. Currently
runing MX 19.3 Beta 3. So it doesn't mather mutch...

-Milky-