chroot <Slak13:partition> connects Inet?
Unknown
2018-03-03 05:39:35 UTC
It's very convenient that my old 32bit Slak13 runs from a 64bit
USBstik, eg. TinyCore64 [or slax 64bit right now].

AFAIK, this should not be posssible without extra <mount-bind>
to make /dev ...etc. accessible to the <booted partition> ?!

Here's the <status> :--

***@slax:~# mount | grep sdb4
/dev/sdb4 on /sdb4 type ext3 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)

***@slax:~# chroot /sdb4/Slak which mozilla
/usr/bin/mozilla
and the chrooted mozilla does gmail!

***@slax:~# chroot /sdb4/Slak which pan
/usr/bin/pan <-- also runs 32bit in 64bit booted partition?!
...and writing THIS via 32bit pan!!

***@slax:~# chroot /sdb4/Slak ls -l /dev |wc -l
2602

So `chroot /sdb4/Slak` has access to <all the /dev dirs>;
but I'm not using a modem, like originally; I've got WiFi
from slax. Does WiFi also I/O via /dev/* ?

***@slax:~# chroot /sdb4/Slak ls -l /proc |wc -l
1

***@slax:~# chroot /sdb4/Slak pstree
/proc is empty (not mounted ?)

That's WHY <chroot anything> should NOT be able to connect to
Inet ?!
And what about, as expected, I can't chroot from this 64bit
booted installation, to most of my Slak13:32bit apps;
but I CAN to mozilla:gmail and pan: both 32bit apps ?

??? How does the WiFi <leak over> between the booted-installation
and the chrooted-installation ?

== TIA.
Pascal Hambourg
2018-03-03 08:06:00 UTC
Post by Unknown
It's very convenient that my old 32bit Slak13 runs from a 64bit
USBstik, eg. TinyCore64 [or slax 64bit right now].
A 64-bit x86 kernel can run 32-bit x86 executables.
Post by Unknown
AFAIK, this should not be posssible without extra <mount-bind>
to make /dev ...etc. accessible to the <booted partition> ?!
Why not ?

1) Not all programs need /dev, /proc and so on.
2) You do not have to bind mount them, you can just mount then in the
usual way from within (or outside) the chroot, e.g. :

mount -t devtmpfs udev $CHROOT/dev
mount -t proc proc $CHROOT/proc
mount -t sysfs sysfs $CHROOT/sys
Post by Unknown
2602
You probably have a fully populated static /dev on this partition.
AFAICS a dynamic /dev would not contain so many device files.
Post by Unknown
but I'm not using a modem, like originally; I've got WiFi
from slax. Does WiFi also I/O via /dev/* ?
No, network interfaces are not character nor block devices and are not
in /dev.
Post by Unknown
1
/proc is not mounted.
Post by Unknown
/proc is empty (not mounted ?)
That confirms that /proc is not mounted.

Note : Why get only very partial information by piping command outputs
to wc ?
Post by Unknown
That's WHY <chroot anything> should NOT be able to connect to
Inet ?!
No. Networking does not require /proc either.
Post by Unknown
And what about, as expected, I can't chroot from this 64bit
booted installation, to most of my Slak13:32bit apps;
Can you provide a few examples ?
The kernel networking API does not need /proc, /dev and so on.
Rich
2018-03-03 13:53:56 UTC
Post by Pascal Hambourg
Post by Unknown
It's very convenient that my old 32bit Slak13 runs from a 64bit
USBstik, eg. TinyCore64 [or slax 64bit right now].
A 64-bit x86 kernel can run 32-bit x86 executables.
You do realize that you've been 'had' by the Chris Glur troll.

It has nymshifted, but it is the Chris Glur troll's writing style.