Getting rid of qt-recordmydesktop selection windw
Spyridon Metaxas
2020-09-24 00:31:15 UTC
I was playing with the qt-recordmydesktop application earlier on
today. After selecting a region for recording, and starting to record,
instead of stopping things properly I stupidly killed the application
from the command line. This left behind the qt-recordmydesktop selection
area.

This is a blanks rectangle that my Xfce desktop seems to be
unware of. Its edges occlude everything in my desktop that happens to be
underneath them. It is in all my workspaces, and I seem to be unable to
get rid of it. While not terribly annoying, it is exasperating enough for
me to want to eliminate it.

I guess I'll just have to restart my Xfce session, and that's
that. However, if somebody in this forum has any suggestions to try to
get rid of this rectangle without restarting my Xfce session, if it is
only for my own education, I would like to try that.
Henrik Carlqvist
2020-09-24 05:39:42 UTC
I was playing with the qt-recordmydesktop application earlier on today.
After selecting a region for recording, and starting to record, instead
of stopping things properly I stupidly killed the application from the
command line. This left behind the qt-recordmydesktop selection area.
I haven't tried qt-recordmydesktyp myself, I don't think it is part of
Slackware, but if it doesn't help to kill a process to get rid of a
window, maybe xkill could help you to get rid of the window?

regards Henrik
Spyridon Metaxas
2020-09-24 12:52:42 UTC
I was playing with the qt-recordmydesktop application earlier on today.
After selecting a region for recording, and starting to record, instead
of stopping things properly I stupidly killed the application from the
command line. This left behind the qt-recordmydesktop selection area.
I haven't tried qt-recordmydesktyp myself, I don't think it is part of
Slackware, but if it doesn't help to kill a process to get rid of a
window, maybe xkill could help you to get rid of the window?
regards Henrik
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, as far as X that
blasted rectangle does not seem to exist at all - the mouse doesn't see
it, and neither does xkill.
Jimmy Johnson
2020-09-24 14:35:33 UTC
Post by Spyridon Metaxas
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
I was playing with the qt-recordmydesktop application earlier on today.
After selecting a region for recording, and starting to record, instead
of stopping things properly I stupidly killed the application from the
command line. This left behind the qt-recordmydesktop selection area.
I haven't tried qt-recordmydesktyp myself, I don't think it is part of
Slackware, but if it doesn't help to kill a process to get rid of a
window, maybe xkill could help you to get rid of the window?
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, as far as X that
blasted rectangle does not seem to exist at all - the mouse doesn't see
it, and neither does xkill.
"Htop" should be in your menu, maybe you can see something there. :)

Slackware64 Current KDE4 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda5
Registered Linux User #380263
Spyridon Metaxas
2020-09-24 17:12:58 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Spyridon Metaxas
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
I was playing with the qt-recordmydesktop application earlier on today.
After selecting a region for recording, and starting to record,
instead of stopping things properly I stupidly killed the application
from the command line. This left behind the qt-recordmydesktop
selection area.
I haven't tried qt-recordmydesktyp myself, I don't think it is part of
Slackware, but if it doesn't help to kill a process to get rid of a
window, maybe xkill could help you to get rid of the window?
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, as far as X that
blasted rectangle does not seem to exist at all - the mouse doesn't see
it, and neither does xkill.
"Htop" should be in your menu, maybe you can see something there. :)
Thanks; I ended up restarting my X session, for that big double
rectangle everywhere started to become irritating.
Henrik Carlqvist
2020-09-24 20:26:07 UTC
Post by Spyridon Metaxas
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Spyridon Metaxas
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, as far as X that
blasted rectangle does not seem to exist at all - the mouse doesn't
see it, and neither does xkill.
"Htop" should be in your menu, maybe you can see something there. :)
Thanks; I ended up restarting my X session, for that big double
rectangle everywhere started to become irritating.
If it happens again, you might be able to find the annoying window with
"xlsclients -l" , once found you can kill it with something like:
"xkill -id 0x10400001"