this FAQ here: good but gone obsolete?
Martha Adams
2019-09-22 20:30:04 UTC
As I'm scouting alt.os.linux.slackware, I go once again to the long
running aolsfaq file. Which is if you haven't looked at it yet, a
prime candidate for most-useful file to be found in cyberspace. As
I review it I notice a detail: it seems to be dated 2015 Feb 04,
which looks to me like isn't that a *while ago*? ??

Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Sun 2019 Sep 22]
Henrik Carlqvist
2019-09-23 05:34:43 UTC
Post by Martha Adams
As I'm scouting alt.os.linux.slackware, I go once again to the long
running aolsfaq file. Which is if you haven't looked at it yet, a prime
candidate for most-useful file to be found in cyberspace. As I review
it I notice a detail: it seems to be dated 2015 Feb 04, which looks to
me like isn't that a *while ago*? ??
Fortunately Slackware is rather stable and doesn't change alot between
versions. Year 2015 was between the releases of Slackware 14.1 and 14.2
which still is the latest stable release. Not much changed between 14.1
and 14.2 and I suppose there was no reason to update the FAQ then.

regards Henrik
David Robley
2019-09-23 07:58:59 UTC
Post by Martha Adams
As I'm scouting alt.os.linux.slackware, I go once again to the long
running aolsfaq file. Which is if you haven't looked at it yet, a prime
candidate for most-useful file to be found in cyberspace. As I review
it I notice a detail: it seems to be dated 2015 Feb 04, which looks to
me like isn't that a *while ago*? ??
Fortunately Slackware is rather stable and doesn't change alot between
versions. Year 2015 was between the releases of Slackware 14.1 and 14.2
which still is the latest stable release. Not much changed between 14.1
and 14.2 and I suppose there was no reason to update the FAQ then.
regards Henrik
And of course if you have some suggestions for additions or updates,
there is a contact email in the FAQ towards the end in the Contributors
section.
Sylvain Robitaille
2019-09-27 15:10:14 UTC
Post by Martha Adams
As I'm scouting alt.os.linux.slackware, I go once again to the long
running aolsfaq file. Which is if you haven't looked at it yet, a
prime candidate for most-useful file to be found in cyberspace.
It has its good points, primary among them is that it's a collection
of input from quite a few people, which, in my opinion helps to make
it so useful.
Post by Martha Adams
As I review it I notice a detail: it seems to be dated 2015 Feb 04,
which looks to me like isn't that a *while ago*? ??
It is. In the interim, many of the URLs listed in the FAQ have
become obsolete and that's been pointed out here before. Finding up
to date replacements for those can be rather time consuming, and I
haven't taken the time to do so. Perhaps as winter settles in in
a few months I'll find the time to work on that. Otherwise, though,
there simply haven't been any contributions suggested for it. There
just aren't that many "frequently asked questions" any more.

For the record, the only way in which that FAQ, according to your
subject line has "gone obsolete" is in those URLs that are no longer
valid. The remainder of the content still remains quite useful as
it is.
Sylvain Robitaille ***@encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada