Signal from the future?
Add Reply
Martha Adams
2018-10-29 19:20:20 UTC
Seeing today's news, I think the future may be talking to us.
It's been two years or more since news surfaced that *all* of
the world's top-500 supercomputers were running Linux. Now
GitHub and Red Hat have passed into the hands of Giant Money
(and I anticipate complications around rights to follow
shortly). I think the future sends us messages about what it
is going to be; and such messages are standing out now for
everyone to see. ...Now what? ??

Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Mon 2018 Oct 29]
Joe Rosevear
2018-11-02 00:40:02 UTC
Post by Martha Adams
Seeing today's news, I think the future may be talking to us.
It's been two years or more since news surfaced that *all* of
the world's top-500 supercomputers were running Linux. Now
GitHub and Red Hat have passed into the hands of Giant Money
(and I anticipate complications around rights to follow
shortly). I think the future sends us messages about what it
is going to be; and such messages are standing out now for
everyone to see. ...Now what? ??
Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Mon 2018 Oct 29]
Right. I wonder what it means. Is this a case of "Render unto Caesar
the things that are Caesar's"? Or the Tao of Programming parable that
begins "In the east there is a shark that is larger than all the other
fish."?

Still it makes me uneasy.

-Joe
http://joeslife.org
jrg
2018-11-02 03:51:56 UTC
Post by Joe Rosevear
Post by Martha Adams
Seeing today's news, I think the future may be talking to us.
It's been two years or more since news surfaced that *all* of
the world's top-500 supercomputers were running Linux. Now
GitHub and Red Hat have passed into the hands of Giant Money
(and I anticipate complications around rights to follow
shortly). I think the future sends us messages about what it
is going to be; and such messages are standing out now for
everyone to see. ...Now what? ??
Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Mon 2018 Oct 29]
Right. I wonder what it means. Is this a case of "Render unto Caesar
the things that are Caesar's"? Or the Tao of Programming parable that
begins "In the east there is a shark that is larger than all the other
fish."?
Still it makes me uneasy.
Whatever that is, it will not come around in any of our lifetimes so try
and look at the here and now. There are bigger things to be concerned
about in the world today than the ramblings of some nihilist that goes
to the trouble of using that sig.

Hold your breath for a reply...
maus
2018-11-06 20:27:49 UTC
Post by jrg
Whatever that is, it will not come around in any of our lifetimes so try
and look at the here and now. There are bigger things to be concerned
about in the world today than the ramblings of some nihilist that goes
to the trouble of using that sig.
Hold your breath for a reply...
AFAIK, HAL has been into Linux from the start. With the sort of customers
they have, they are unlikely to depend on the idiot of Redmond.

The US Nave does not not seem to worry, they can always blame the
Vietnamese, Chinese, or Iranian's.
--
***@ireland.com
Will Rant For Food
Martha Adams
2018-11-07 00:13:24 UTC
Post by maus
Post by jrg
Whatever that is, it will not come around in any of our lifetimes so try
and look at the here and now. There are bigger things to be concerned
about in the world today than the ramblings of some nihilist that goes
to the trouble of using that sig.
Hold your breath for a reply...
AFAIK, HAL has been into Linux from the start. With the sort of customers
they have, they are unlikely to depend on the idiot of Redmond.
The US Nave does not not seem to worry, they can always blame the
Vietnamese, Chinese, or Iranian's.

It's good to get things right, and I don't see that here. *I did not
write* the above "Whatever that is...," attributed to me. It
originates from the preceding message, written by 'jrg'. Error!
Error!

Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Tues 2018 Nov 06]
Jimmy Johnson
2018-11-07 23:21:59 UTC
Post by jrg
Whatever that is, it will not come around in any of our lifetimes so try
and look at the here and now.  There are bigger things to be concerned
about
Like what? That's a question.
Post by jrg
in the world today than the ramblings of some nihilist that goes
to the trouble of using that sig.
Hold your breath for a reply...
You sound like a Microsoft Troll to me, People have been setting on
their asses for way to long while these Neo-Linux-Developers, who hate
Linux, take over Open Source. They cannot and will not assassinate all
of us if we educate ourselves and speak out every chance we get.

Slackware64 14.2 - KDE 4.14.32 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263
jrg
2018-11-08 04:39:20 UTC
On 11/7/18 3:21 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

<snip>
People have been setting on their asses for way to long while these Neo-Linux-Developers, who hate Linux, take over Open Source. They cannot and will not assassinate all of us if we educate ourselves and speak out every chance we get.
You really are a dumb ass if you think that is something to worry about.
You sound like a Microsoft Troll to me,
Then get your hearing checked.

The original post made zero sense outside some conspiracy nonsense, as
most of the op's posts seem to try and do. She is obviously still
living in the days of "dos 6.2 should be free" and posts seemingly deep
thought out ideas and disappears.
Jimmy Johnson
2018-11-08 14:13:21 UTC
Post by jrg
<snip>
People have been setting on their asses for way to long while these
Neo-Linux-Developers, who hate Linux, take over Open Source.  They
cannot and will not assassinate all of us if we educate ourselves and
speak out every chance we get.
You really are a dumb ass if you think that is something to worry about.
You sound like a Microsoft Troll to me,
Then get your hearing checked.
The original post made zero sense outside some conspiracy nonsense, as
most of the op's posts seem to try and do.  She is obviously still
living in the days of "dos 6.2 should be free" and posts seemingly deep
thought out ideas and disappears.
You're the MS dumb ass trolling a Linux news group talking MS crap and
probable don't know F***ing stupid you look.

jrg
2018-11-08 17:55:01 UTC
On 11/8/18 6:13 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

<snip>
??
Martha Adams
2018-11-09 01:01:04 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by jrg
<snip>
People have been setting on their asses for way to long while these
Neo-Linux-Developers, who hate Linux, take over Open Source. They
cannot and will not assassinate all of us if we educate ourselves and
speak out every chance we get.
You really are a dumb ass if you think that is something to worry about.
You sound like a Microsoft Troll to me,
Then get your hearing checked.
The original post made zero sense outside some conspiracy nonsense, as
most of the op's posts seem to try and do. She is obviously still
living in the days of "dos 6.2 should be free" and posts seemingly
deep thought out ideas and disappears.
You're the MS dumb ass trolling a Linux news group talking MS crap and
probable don't know F***ing stupid you look.

I think this exchange reflects a quality of its writers. Upon
reading it, in a context of so much other news these days, I'm
led to feel deeply discouraged. I believe *this* is not going
to get FOSS and its principles, anywhere I want to be.

Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Thr 2018 Nov 08]
jrg
2018-11-09 05:18:14 UTC
On 11/8/18 5:01 PM, Martha Adams wrote:

<snip>
Post by Martha Adams
I believe *this* is not going
to get FOSS and its principles, anywhere I want to be.
No one is going to walk into your house and steal whatever it is you're
afraid of. Your time would be better spent complaining about the
government as it exists today. The capitalist markets are going to
march along whether you like it or not and it is really a healthy thing.
This has nothing to do with FOSS - Red Hat has been commercial since
the 1990s - it was their intent from day one. Just because they don't
kowtow to your wishes doesn't mean the world is coming to an end.

And just what, pray tell, is YOUR contribution to FOSS? What is your
git account working on?
Martha Adams
2018-11-09 15:02:31 UTC
Post by jrg
<snip>
Post by Martha Adams
I believe *this* is not going
to get FOSS and its principles, anywhere I want to be.
No one is going to walk into your house and steal whatever it is you're
afraid of. Your time would be better spent complaining about the
government as it exists today. The capitalist markets are going to
march along whether you like it or not and it is really a healthy thing.
This has nothing to do with FOSS - Red Hat has been commercial since
the 1990s - it was their intent from day one. Just because they don't
kowtow to your wishes doesn't mean the world is coming to an end.
And just what, pray tell, is YOUR contribution to FOSS? What is your
git account working on?
It's interesting to look at this unoriginal hostility and think about
where it comes from. An easy answer is someone comes from a bad
background and just doesn't know any better, but these days, other
options exist. Is fandom too far down the hierarchy to gain attention
of Russian trolls doing cyberwar? I think not. But this one seems so
far, not to be doing English 2nd language.

But whether a troll or just someone with a weak and corrupted mind, the
effect is the same. Skunk room! To empty a room, throw in a skunk. And
here, those driven out are the congenial and working people who if they
were here, could be working at better resource at all.

Note to JRG -- find and study Francis Bacon's 59 essays, easily
accessible from here. Bacon published about 1601 and some of what he
says is of course quite obsolete, but his calm, tidy, and steady
style is a model for all writers any when. Even now, as America
falls into the Trump morass.

Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Fri 2018 Nov 09]
Rich
2018-11-09 15:58:50 UTC
Post by Martha Adams
Post by jrg
<snip>
Post by Martha Adams
[...]
This, of course, is/was the original reason behind the creation of
killfiles in Usenet clients. To allow the "congenial and working
people" to filter out all the skunks and continue in the group as if
there were no skunks present.

The difficulty is that building up a good killfile takes time, time
during which one has to smell the disgusting output of the skunks. So
one needs some determination to reach the skunk-free plane of
existence. And without the determination to get to the skunk-free
existence, many abandon Usenet early.