its great to find a slackware group still on usenet
User &
2019-06-14 22:50:44 UTC
Long time slacker here.. been using slack since 1.2 days.
I haven't been on usenet for a few years. It's great to find this newsgroup!
I'll be checking regularly from now on. Best wishes to everyone.

Steve
Mike Spencer
2019-06-15 05:49:44 UTC
Post by User &
Long time slacker here.. been using slack since 1.2 days.
We are legion. We just don't get a lot of press. ;-)
Post by User &
I haven't been on usenet for a few years. It's great to find this
newsgroup! I'll be checking regularly from now on. Best wishes to
everyone.
Thank you and welcome back to the Real Internet(tm). :-o
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Steve555
2019-06-15 09:49:32 UTC
Post by User &
I haven't been on usenet for a few years. It's great to find this
newsgroup! I'll be checking regularly from now on. Best wishes to
everyone.
Thank you and welcome back to the Real Internet(tm). :-o
Thanks Mike! Now I've sorted out my slrn configuration, my id should show
up correctly now.
Mike Spencer
2019-06-16 05:30:27 UTC
Now I've sorted out my slrn configuration, my id should show up
correctly now.
Ha. You appear to be sending from my host (which is really named
bogus, is geriatric but not an invalid :-) and nodomain.nowhere which
is just that.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Steve555
2019-06-16 19:19:51 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
Now I've sorted out my slrn configuration, my id should show up
correctly now.
Ha. You appear to be sending from my host (which is really named
bogus, is geriatric but not an invalid :-) and nodomain.nowhere which
is just that.
Oh dear.. guilty as charged! I've changed it to 'reallybogus'.
Let's hope that doesn't collide with anyone else!

Steve555
Steve555
2019-06-16 19:28:52 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
Now I've sorted out my slrn configuration, my id should show up
correctly now.
Ha. You appear to be sending from my host (which is really named
bogus, is geriatric but not an invalid :-) and nodomain.nowhere which
is just that.
And just for a really paranoid sanity check:-

$ host bogus.nodomain.nowhere
Host bogus.nodomain.nowhere not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
$ host reallybogus.nodomain.nowhere
Host reallybogus.nodomain.nowhere not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

So I think we're OK :-)

Steve555
andrew
2019-06-16 07:14:36 UTC
Long time slacker here.. been using slack since 1.2 days. I haven't
been on usenet for a few years. It's great to find this newsgroup!
I'll be checking regularly from now on. Best wishes to everyone.
This newsgroup seems to be one of the more civilised newsgroups
remaining these days as in many of my other haunts the regulars have
faded away and only the luntaic fringe remain...

Andrew
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
Steve555
2019-06-18 16:28:15 UTC
Post by andrew
Long time slacker here.. been using slack since 1.2 days. I haven't
been on usenet for a few years. It's great to find this newsgroup!
I'll be checking regularly from now on. Best wishes to everyone.
This newsgroup seems to be one of the more civilised newsgroups
remaining these days as in many of my other haunts the regulars have
faded away and only the luntaic fringe remain...
Andrew
It's been sad to see the decline of usenet. I've told everyone
I know who uses linux to check this newsgroup out. I think a lot
of younger people just don't know that usenet exists, they think
it's old tech that has gone, and they use things like reddit.

When I poked around a couple of weeks ago, and discovered this
group, it warmed my heart :-) A genuinely open forum like usenet
is so valuable. Like the song says, "you don't know what you've
got till its gone".
--
Gnd -|o----|- Vcc Hey computer, what's the weather in Sydney?
trig -| 555 |- dschrg $> finger o:***@graph.no|tail -1|espeak
rst -|-----|- cntrl Steve555
andrew
2019-06-19 08:33:25 UTC
Post by Steve555
It's been sad to see the decline of usenet. I've told everyone
I know who uses linux to check this newsgroup out. I think a lot
of younger people just don't know that usenet exists, they think
it's old tech that has gone, and they use things like reddit.
I guess all things pass but it is sad to see something so useful and so
much a part of the Internet slow down in this way. I am still recovering
from the slowdown in news.software.readers and I remember with special
fondness the times when John E Davis returned to slrn development: new
and improved code, new and improved website and a great and enthusiastic
community. 'All of these things lost... in time... like tears in the rain...'

Andrew
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
Steve555
2019-06-19 14:02:46 UTC
Post by andrew
Post by Steve555
It's been sad to see the decline of usenet. I've told everyone
I know who uses linux to check this newsgroup out. I think a lot
of younger people just don't know that usenet exists, they think
it's old tech that has gone, and they use things like reddit.
I guess all things pass but it is sad to see something so useful and so
much a part of the Internet slow down in this way. I am still recovering
from the slowdown in news.software.readers and I remember with special
fondness the times when John E Davis returned to slrn development: new
and improved code, new and improved website and a great and enthusiastic
community. 'All of these things lost... in time... like tears in the rain...'
Andrew
I checked out tin.org recently, it appears it's been getting some love,
they put out a new release at the end of last year. I still think
slrn is superior though. Hopefully JED or someone else will pick up
the reins again some time :-)
rst -|-----|- cntrl Steve555
Sylvain Robitaille
2019-07-16 18:56:32 UTC
... I still think slrn is superior though. Hopefully JED or someone
else will pick up the reins again some time :-)
I had my fingers in it at some point (about 20 years ago, I suspect!
scary!), and JED incorporated my contributions, but it would be quite
a stretch, I think, to take on the entire project. The truth is, at
least for my purposes, I don't see any need to fiddle with it at all.
What would you have updated or changed in slrn?
Sylvain Robitaille ***@encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada
notbob
2019-07-17 03:08:43 UTC
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
What would you have updated or changed in slrn?
Nothing! Still using the last iteration.

Want Jed? Use emacs instead. Same stuff. ;)

nb

Joe Rosevear
2019-06-23 18:36:13 UTC
Post by Steve555
[...]