Should we be concened about Slackware's future?
V. Dorokhin
2019-03-20 19:27:21 UTC
This is just a rant - read at your own peril.

The fact is, it is coming up to three years since Slackware 14.2
was released. Although it is true that 14.2 has been (and still is)
updated on a regular basis, the fact is that its age is beginning to
show, in that some software requires more recent versions of core
utilities libraries than those available under 14.2, if one is going to
be able to build said software. And it is not clear when (or even if) a
new Slackware release will be put out.

While I understand (and share) the principle that it is better to
have a system that is stable, while eschewing the latest and greatest, it
also true that one wants to have a reasonably modern, up to date, system.
Slackware still is so - but maybe not for much longer now. For a number
of reasons, I will soon be upgrading my systems - and, uch to my dismay,
I am not sure whether it will make sense for me to stay with Slackware.
For, answering my own question, I am beginning to feel concerned about
Slackware's future.
Rinaldi J. Montessi
2019-03-20 20:58:27 UTC
Post by V. Dorokhin
[...]
I ran 14.2 until about 6 months ago. I found myself more frequently
having to go to the /CURRENT/ repository and upgrade specific tools.
Because of dependencies I decided to just bite the bullet and install
Current on another partition.

Current is nothing if not a moving target. Seems like hardly a day goes
by without a report of a Changelog.txt update. Cron job checks nightly
and forwards a diff when necessary.

As an added benefit I get to run Alien's Plasma 5 which is really superb.

Come a far way from my early days of slackware 2.x running IceWM on
ancient hardware ;-)

Life is good.

Rinaldi
Oh, well, I guess this is just going to be one of those lifetimes.
Jimmy Johnson
2019-03-22 02:08:37 UTC
[...]
KDE4 forever. I'm happy with what I have, less the HDMI audio problem
I'm dealing with and good luck with your system too.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Current - KDE - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda11
Registered Linux User #380263