Slackware 15.0
Eef Hartman
2018-04-13 20:34:14 UTC
Now, it seems the release of 15.0 isn't anytime soon, the version
of the aaa_base package, released on the 12th in -current, still is
If the system is running -current, append a "+" to
/etc/slackware-version.
Identify the system as stable or current in /etc/os-release
by setting VERSION_CODENAME to either stable or current.
PRETTY_NAME="Slackware 14.2 (pre-15.0 -current)"
(from -current's ChangeLog.txt)

And the kernel has been updated again: now to 4.14.34
making already the 24th update this year (when Pat moved this kernel
back into the main tree after briefly reverting to the 4.9.x series).
Pat's showing no signs of going to 4.15, probably because it is not
being designated as a longterm one and 4.16.x series is already out.

And for the guy, asking about QT 5.7 or beyond: don't hold your
breath, all signs are that 15.0 will be released with qt-4.8.7 and
that any updates to the 5.x series will be in the release after that
(so not for the next few years).
j***@wexfordpress.com
2018-04-14 21:06:07 UTC
Post by Eef Hartman
[...]
OK read and understood. What reason is there for not going to qt-5x? Most other distros have gone to that. I may have to load another distro just to get a copy of this library set.

John Culleton
Eef Hartman
2018-04-16 07:59:50 UTC
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
What reason is there for not going to qt-5x?
You should ask Pat that, we here, of course, can only guess.

But my opinion is that he just finds it too much work and sees no
real necessety to go to qt and kde/plasma 5
Nothing in Slackware currently needs it.
Slackware 15.0 is overdue anyway (it's almost 2 years ago 14.2 was
released) and upgrading the qt/kde suite will put it back quite a
bit longer, because everything has to be tested first.
The Slackware philosophy is: KISS (Keep it Simple & Stupid) so Pat
doesn't really favor large software suites. I.e. he doesn't carry
LibreOffice and the update to TexLife only came years after all other
distro's had gone that way (and even then it's a minimal subset of the
complete suite). And when compiling gnome became too much worked he
dropped the complete gnome set from Slackware.
Chris Elvidge
2018-04-16 08:57:45 UTC
Post by Eef Hartman
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
What reason is there for not going to qt-5x?
You should ask Pat that, we here, of course, can only guess.
But my opinion is that he just finds it too much work and sees no
real necessety to go to qt and kde/plasma 5
Nothing in Slackware currently needs it.
Slackware 15.0 is overdue anyway (it's almost 2 years ago 14.2 was
released) and upgrading the qt/kde suite will put it back quite a
bit longer, because everything has to be tested first.
The Slackware philosophy is: KISS (Keep it Simple & Stupid) so Pat
doesn't really favor large software suites. I.e. he doesn't carry
LibreOffice and the update to TexLife only came years after all other
distro's had gone that way (and even then it's a minimal subset of the
complete suite). And when compiling gnome became too much worked he
dropped the complete gnome set from Slackware.
I thought KISS was a directive (to the questioner/commenter):
"Keep It Simple, Stupid."
Chris Elvidge, England
Dan C
2018-04-16 14:18:40 UTC
Post by Chris Elvidge
Post by Eef Hartman
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
[...]
It is. I think Eef put a "&" where he meant to put a comma... :)
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he called in an air strike.
Thanks, Obama: Loading Image...
j***@wexfordpress.com