No 3D rendering on RS690 with Slackware 14.2
a***@openbsd.home
2020-08-31 09:45:50 UTC
I have 3D rendering on a Radeon RS690 iGPU in -current,
but I had no luck under 14.2, even by updating MESA
to 13.0.6, I only have the llvmpipe based software rendering,
making the laptop really noisy by just using KMS.
Is there a way to recompile LLVM/MESA (or the
updated llvm in /extra) so I can get hardware acceleration
under radeonsi with the stable release?
I prefer it to -current, as it requires far less
maintenance.
King Beowulf
2020-09-02 20:11:44 UTC
Post by a***@openbsd.home
I have 3D rendering on a Radeon RS690 iGPU in -current,
but I had no luck under 14.2, even by updating MESA to 13.0.6, I only
have the llvmpipe based software rendering,
making the laptop really noisy by just using KMS.
Is there a way to recompile LLVM/MESA (or the
updated llvm in /extra) so I can get hardware acceleration under
radeonsi with the stable release?
I prefer it to -current, as it requires far less maintenance.
At this stage, given 14.2 age, I don't think it's a worthwhile exercise
to beat on 14.2 to have Radeon GPU open source 3D rendering. You will
need to updated the kernel, Mesa and several bits of X.org.

Slackware-Current is plenty stable enough currently.