Slackware 14.2 for aspiring authors? ( just thoughts :) )
Per Christensen
2020-12-29 22:04:06 UTC
In the same way as culture, freedom and sustainability reached it's peak
in the mid 1980's probably Slackware peaked with ver. 14.2 - being
stable, secure, unbloated and versatile, and for these reasons still of
use in 2021 not only in use for a server but also as a desktop
environment for poets, authors and perhaps even academics.

Personally I guess one of the few things that will stand after me is an
anthology I once wrote and published in the public domain, where I to my
pleasure recognize more and more people read and bookmark the e-book.

The project was based on a lot of internet research and emailing, where
we for these purposes are offered updated Chromium, Firefox and
Thunderbird apps, also for 32 bit (supporting wine and e.g IrfanView or
ChasysDraw).
Some chapters in the project was scans of an old book, some was text
written by me and others were transcribed pdf's downloaded from sources
like https://www.e-rara.ch/

Pre-processing the downloaded pdf's printed in the old Fraktur
typography (still seen in Newspaper heads) was by converting pdf's to
images and optimizing the images for OCR with Scantailor (the
scantailor-advanced slackbuild do compile fine).
The transcribing from Fraktur to modern Latin typhography by OCR was
done with help of the Tesseract frontend Gimagereader that installs fine
on 14.2.

I'm not a GNU teetotaller when it comes to tools and have through time
purchased SoftMaker Office 2018 (now given free as FreeOffice, with
excellent docx compatibility) as well as Master PDF editor for documents
and for aligning,inserting pages etc to a finalized pdf.

And extra - years ago (when I still could lament) I had TEX/Latex up
running for some poems - sporting excellent typography and lay-out options.

So - together with a solid "hard metal" backup (where Hiren's Boot CD
will deliver) these tools summarized could be a nice low-cost
"production" setup even for professional purposes, especially if paying
attention to security including iptables/firewall, disabling unnecessary
system services, regular (ClamAV) antivirus scans of the /home directory
etc., and of course common sense when online
Javier
2020-12-31 00:37:11 UTC
Post by Per Christensen
I'm not a GNU teetotaller when it comes to tools and have through time
purchased SoftMaker Office 2018 (now given free as FreeOffice, with
excellent docx compatibility) as well as Master PDF editor for documents
and for aligning,inserting pages etc to a finalized pdf.
For PDF editing pdftk (CLI program) does a very good job, although it
can be off-putting for not being WYSIWYG.
tom
2021-01-07 22:24:25 UTC
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 23:04:06 +0100
Post by Per Christensen
So - together with a solid "hard metal" backup (where Hiren's Boot CD
will deliver) these tools summarized could be a nice low-cost
"production" setup even for professional purposes, especially if
paying attention to security including iptables/firewall, disabling
unnecessary system services, regular (ClamAV) antivirus scans of the
/home directory etc., and of course common sense when online
You consider scanning your home with antivirus a necessary thing on
Linux? Have you ever found anything that would have actually effected
your, rather than just something that would be passed on to Windows
users? I thought that was the entire point of ClamAV, to prevent
accidentally passing an inert virus to you off to Windows users.
Per Christensen
2021-01-09 22:31:23 UTC
Post by Per Christensen
So - together with a solid "hard metal" backup (where Hiren's Boot CD
will deliver) these tools summarized could be a nice low-cost
"production" setup even for professional purposes, especially if
paying attention to security including iptables/firewall, disabling
unnecessary system services, regular (ClamAV) antivirus scans of the
/home directory etc., and of course common sense when online
You consider scanning your home with antivirus a necessary thing on
Linux? Have you ever found anything that would have actually effected
your, rather than just something that would be passed on to Windows
users? I thought that was the entire point of ClamAV, to prevent
accidentally passing an inert virus to you off to Windows users.
Tom, perhaps you are right, and virus scan in Linux systems is in vain.I
am employed in a large organization using windows 10 on office machines,
and on occasions I communicate from my home Slackware using Thunderbird.
I have installed Wine because of a couple of old XP apps and a basic
Windows PIM that can synchronize with my iPhone over wi-fi, but do not
use any Windows app for online activity.
I have never experienced virus-related problems under Linux, where I
once had to re-format a home XP laptop because of ransomware.
According to papers ransomware still is a problem where a significant
local shipping company serving coastal infrastructure 2 weeks ago was
down after a ransomware locked their system, the same as for today where
a municipality near is reported also locked by a ransomware and down.
I know big providers (Google, Yahoo) scan all e-mail attachments but
have nevertheless set up ClamAV plus ClamAV-GUI where scanning of e.g.
/home/../documents or /home/../downloads directories is by just dragging
and dropping the folders to an (optional) drop zone in a corner

tom