xfce4-weather plugin not working
Harold Johanssen
2021-03-11 03:48:57 UTC
It would seem that the API the the version of the xfce4-weather
plugin distributed with 14.2 uses in order to obtain meteorological data
has been discontinued. As a result, this plugin has stopped working.

Anybody know whether xfce4-plugin is going to be updated for
14.2, or whether we'll just have to wait for 15?
dillinger
2021-03-11 21:59:22 UTC
Post by Harold Johanssen
It would seem that the API the the version of the xfce4-weather
plugin distributed with 14.2 uses in order to obtain meteorological data
has been discontinued. As a result, this plugin has stopped working.
Anybody know whether xfce4-plugin is going to be updated for
14.2, or whether we'll just have to wait for 15?
Some old versions at met.no have been terminated: https://api.met.no/blog/
The problem is that all versions later than 8.11 require GKT+ >= 3.22,
which is not and probably will not be included with Slackware 14.2.
https://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin/
Some tweaking might fix this, it appears there is a working version of
8.11 for Mint, but else we'll have to wait for Slackware 15, I'm afraid.
dillinger
That is version 0.8.11 of course.
dillinger
2021-03-16 02:39:49 UTC
Post by dillinger
Post by dillinger
    It would seem that the API the the version of the xfce4-weather
plugin distributed with 14.2 uses in order to obtain meteorological data
has been discontinued. As a result, this plugin has stopped working.
    Anybody know whether xfce4-plugin is going to be updated for
14.2, or whether we'll just have to wait for 15?
https://api.met.no/blog/
The problem is that all versions later than 8.11 require GKT+ >= 3.22,
which is not and probably will not be included with Slackware 14.2.
https://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin/
Some tweaking might fix this, it appears there is a working version of
8.11 for Mint, but else we'll have to wait for Slackware 15, I'm afraid.
That is version 0.8.11 of course.
A working version is now available for Salix, works on Slackware too:

https://download.salixos.org/x86_64/14.2/salix/xfce/xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.11-x86_64-1gv_salix14.2.txz

You can find this on https://slackware.pkgs.org/
Clark Smith
So it does. Thanks.
steveh
2021-04-19 17:57:09 UTC
Post by Harold Johanssen
It would seem that the API the the version of the xfce4-weather
plugin distributed with 14.2 uses in order to obtain meteorological data
has been discontinued. As a result, this plugin has stopped working.
Anybody know whether xfce4-plugin is going to be updated for
14.2, or whether we'll just have to wait for 15?
You might also like this text version, based on the same
norwegian met office service, available as a finger service.

finger ***@graph.no

For example:-

$ finger ***@graph.no

produces the following output:-
[graph.no]
-= Meteogram for united_kingdom/england/london =-
'C Rain
18
16 ^^^^^^
14 ^^^^^^^^^
12=-- ^^^
10 --- =--
8 --- ^^^
6 ------ ^^^
4 ################## ^^^
2 ###
0
_19 20 21 22 23 00 01 02 03 04 05_06_07_08_09_10_11_12_13_14_15_16 Hour

SE SE SE SE SE E E SE SE E E E E NE NE NE NE NE NE NE NE NE Wind dir.
3 2 2 2 2 1 1 2 1 1 1 2 2 1 1 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 Wind(mps)

Legend left axis: - Sunny ^ Scattered = Clouded =V= Thunder # Fog
Legend right axis: | Rain ! Sleet * Snow
[Mail a "thank you" to ***@falkp.no if you like the service.]

As I understand it the author is currently modifying the code for the
same api update. (I am not the author :-), but I think he's done a
great job!)

If you install espeak, you can do something like this to get a summary
of the weather spoken to you:-

$ finger o:***@graph.no | tail -n 1 | espeak -v en+f3 -s 100
Harold Johanssen
2021-04-19 23:28:07 UTC
Post by Harold Johanssen
It would seem that the API the the version of the xfce4-weather
plugin distributed with 14.2 uses in order to obtain meteorological
data has been discontinued. As a result, this plugin has stopped
working.
Anybody know whether xfce4-plugin is going to be updated for
14.2, or whether we'll just have to wait for 15?
You might also like this text version, based on the same norwegian met
office service, available as a finger service.
For example:-
produces the following output:-
[graph.no]
-= Meteogram for united_kingdom/england/london =-
'C
Rain 18 16
^^^^^^
[...]
That's cute. I've just played with it, and the voice sounds like
that of a woman who has had one too many.
Jimmy Johnson
2021-04-20 00:10:07 UTC
Post by Harold Johanssen
It would seem that the API the the version of the xfce4-weather
plugin distributed with 14.2 uses in order to obtain meteorological data
has been discontinued. As a result, this plugin has stopped working.
Anybody know whether xfce4-plugin is going to be updated for
14.2, or whether we'll just have to wait for 15?
Did you get it fixed?

There's a slackware patch:

https://slackware.pkgs.org/14.2/slackware-patches-x86_64/xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.11-x86_64-1_slack14.2.txz.html

Slackware64 14.2 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda5