new slack
CBM64
2020-10-14 20:14:49 UTC
when next slackware ???
bad sector
2020-10-14 22:25:44 UTC
Post by CBM64
when next slackware ???
https://www.patreon.com/slackwarelinux
bad sector
2021-01-07 02:11:11 UTC
On
2020-10-14
16:14,
CBM64
when next slackware ???
https://www.patreon.com/slackwarelinux
I'm having grave issues with this 'facility', who owns it?

Any other avenues to help out?
Ralph Spitzner
2021-01-07 09:59:25 UTC
Post by bad sector
Post by bad sector
when  next  slackware ???
https://www.patreon.com/slackwarelinux
I'm having grave issues with this 'facility', who owns it?
Any other avenues to help out?
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/volkerdi

but I think patreon looks lwgit, too, as Slackware isn't the only project on theier site....

-rasp
bad sector
2021-01-07 14:22:49 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by bad sector
Post by bad sector
when  next  slackware ???
https://www.patreon.com/slackwarelinux
I'm having grave issues with this 'facility', who owns it?
Any other avenues to help out?
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/volkerdi
but I think patreon looks lwgit, too, as Slackware isn't the only project on theier site....
    -rasp
i'm not thinking not legit, just can't update
my card expiry, the same routine elsewhere flows
like butter, at patreaon a dozen tries failed so
i'm outta there for ever. I've already seen what
fraud and id theft is so i'v become extremely
touchy AND prejudicial thank you with such issues
even if its a vatican web site.
Ralph Spitzner
2021-01-07 17:08:43 UTC
Post by bad sector
touchy AND prejudicial thank you with such issues
even if its a vatican web site.
ok, I don't know about their CC interface, I used Paypal for my $5,- subscription.

For me this is the easiest way, if anything goes Wrong I'll just stop Paypal an don't
have to deal with allsorts of card issuers...

-rasp
bad sector
2021-01-08 04:32:34 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
touchy AND prejudicial thank you with such issues even if its a
vatican web site.
ok, I don't know about their CC interface, I used Paypal for my $5,- subscription.
For me this is the easiest way, if anything goes Wrong I'll just stop
Paypal an don't have to deal with allsorts of card issuers...
-rasp
sorry I didn't notice that your paypal link was not my OP link :)
I bailed out of paypal ten years ago, don't like unknowns
having my bank account number.

Is there an "Interac" service in stateside? We have this
in Canada and it works lile a charm! It allows me to send
to any participating bank customer's email address,
end of story, no 'handler' EVER has my card number
or anything.

I gave patreon another run. The idiots' programming
just won't let me update my card expiry, or re-enter the
same card, or even kill my account and reopen a new
one because my IP redirects to my old account and
the old card which I cannot update. I've never seen
braindead fucks like this in my life, can only wonder
how they handle security!

Anyone with a line to Patrick please ask him to come
up with alternatives, I see he's doing better now but
still wanna maintain my support :)))
David Robley
2021-01-08 08:41:06 UTC
Post by bad sector
Post by Ralph Spitzner
[...]
There is
https://support.patreon.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042749811-How-do-I-contact-support-
which I found from a quick scratch through their site.
bad sector
2021-01-08 14:02:24 UTC
Post by David Robley
Post by Ralph Spitzner
[...]
Thanks but when it comes to MY id and/or card numbers
there's no second-chance. In all I tried about a dozen times
and different ways. Confidence gone.
bad sector
2021-01-09 03:17:21 UTC
Is there an "Interac" service in stateside? We have this in Canada
and it works lile a charm! It allows me to send to any participating
bank customer's email address, end of story, no 'handler' EVER has my
card number or anything.
I kicked this around a bit and all he has to do is open a
nominal account in any major Canadian bank, file an
email address with them and bingo. There must be
enough Canadian fans to make it worthwhile ..but as
far as I've been able to determnine the same service
*is* available with major us banks as well.

maus
2021-01-08 18:18:25 UTC
Post by bad sector
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by bad sector
Post by bad sector
when  next  slackware ???
https://www.patreon.com/slackwarelinux
I'm having grave issues with this 'facility', who owns it?
Any other avenues to help out?
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/volkerdi
but I think patreon looks lwgit, too, as Slackware isn't the only project on theier site....
    -rasp
i'm not thinking not legit, just can't update
my card expiry, the same routine elsewhere flows
like butter, at patreaon a dozen tries failed so
i'm outta there for ever. I've already seen what
fraud and id theft is so i'v become extremely
touchy AND prejudicial thank you with such issues
even if its a vatican web site.
s A onetime catholic, you must be joking.!
***@mail.com
bad sector
2021-01-08 22:43:08 UTC
Post by maus
Post by bad sector
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by bad sector
Post by bad sector
when  next  slackware ???
https://www.patreon.com/slackwarelinux
I'm having grave issues with this 'facility', who owns it?
Any other avenues to help out?
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/volkerdi
but I think patreon looks lwgit, too, as Slackware isn't the only project on theier site....
    -rasp
i'm not thinking not legit, just can't update
my card expiry, the same routine elsewhere flows
like butter, at patreaon a dozen tries failed so
i'm outta there for ever. I've already seen what
fraud and id theft is so i'v become extremely
touchy AND prejudicial thank you with such issues
even if its a vatican web site.
s A onetime catholic, you must be joking.!
ok, I know it sounds weird but I'm not

BTW wasn't it a vatican banker that ended up hanging
under the London bridge with a brick in a pocket? :)))
King Beowulf
2020-11-01 00:09:11 UTC
Post by CBM64
when next slackware ???
The young ones are just so darn cute....
CBM64
2020-11-03 20:29:24 UTC
?

I did not get it
Lew Pitcher
2020-11-03 20:52:02 UTC
Post by CBM64
Post by King Beowulf
The young ones are just so darn cute....
?
I did not get it
Like the ancient commercial for a California wine
("Paul Masson will sell no wine before its time"),
Slackware will publish no release before its time

Those of us who have gone through multiple release cycles have learned to
just sit and wait.

If you are so inclined, send Slackware some money (Pat Volkerding's
patreon account would be the place these days); that might speed things
up a bit.
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
f6k
2020-11-03 23:17:28 UTC
hello
Post by Lew Pitcher
If you are so inclined, send Slackware some money (Pat Volkerding's
patreon account would be the place these days); that might speed things
up a bit.
yes please, anyone who can, send money to Patrick Volkerding; i'm sure
plenty of happy slackers have some extra dollars to send. if so, be
kind, and help the infrastructure and this great work!

but please, anyone, don't say that money will "speed things". since
when virtual/paper money actually helped to speed anything? it's just
"money", it doesn't make people stronger, more efficient, more
healthier, or extend the days so you have more time with your family.
it help, in many ways, but it doesn't speed things at all. plus, after
all this time, if anyone knows the story of slackware, i'm sure Patrick
Volkerding, and the DevTeam, don't do it for money.

money is important since we live in the world we're living in, but
don't put money as a lever to speed some slackware release. i've read
so many times "send money, and it'll go faster" but that's not true.

we need to send money to help because slackware is an old community ran
by an ordinary team/man whose work resonates all over the world. so,
yes, sending money helps them/him to bear the loads.

we all read about the slackware store issue (to say the least) some
years ago. but even that didn't stop Patrick Volkerding and the team
to hang on. even in those dark times, they continued the hard work.

yes, send money, it's important, but anyone who's reading this, don't
expect a slackware new realease before "it's time". it's not ubuntu
company here, nor debian worldwide association. it's just a handle of
good people making the best they can because they think it is good for
the common good and, hopefully, they have fun making it!
~{,_,"> insidious LabRat - ftp://shl.huld.re
Lew Pitcher
2020-11-04 17:23:03 UTC
Post by f6k
hello
Post by Lew Pitcher
If you are so inclined, send Slackware some money (Pat Volkerding's
patreon account would be the place these days); that might speed things
up a bit.
yes please, anyone who can, send money to Patrick Volkerding; i'm sure
plenty of happy slackers have some extra dollars to send. if so, be
kind, and help the infrastructure and this great work!
but please, anyone, don't say that money will "speed things".
[snip]

Yes, sorry. I meant that Slackware is essentially a one-man-shop, which
means that there's little parallelism in the work. Sending Slackware some
money would let Pat "optimize his workforce" a bit, which might help
speed the process along a bit.
Post by f6k
yes, send money, it's important, but anyone who's reading this, don't
expect a slackware new realease before "it's time". it's not ubuntu
company here, nor debian worldwide association. it's just a handle of
good people making the best they can because they think it is good for
the common good and, hopefully, they have fun making it!
Exactly. Slackware is good /because/ of the extra care that Pat V and
crew put into it's making. I'd rather not joggle their collective elbows.
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
f6k
2020-11-04 21:10:29 UTC
hello,
Post by Lew Pitcher
Post by f6k
hello
Post by Lew Pitcher
If you are so inclined, send Slackware some money (Pat Volkerding's
patreon account would be the place these days); that might speed things
up a bit.
yes please, anyone who can, send money to Patrick Volkerding; i'm sure
plenty of happy slackers have some extra dollars to send. if so, be
kind, and help the infrastructure and this great work!
but please, anyone, don't say that money will "speed things".
[snip]
Yes, sorry. I meant that Slackware is essentially a one-man-shop, which
means that there's little parallelism in the work. Sending Slackware some
money would let Pat "optimize his workforce" a bit, which might help
speed the process along a bit.
no, please, don't be sorry Lew. that message wasn't meant for you. i
really hope you weren't upset by my post.

again, this message was just a reaction of something i read so often in
the FOSS communities ("if you're not happy, just send money"; which is
a great punch line, i have to admit). but i'd love that newcomers
understand directly, out of the blue, that Slackware, as big as it is,
as famous as it is, is just a real human, community effort.

i guess i'm just some kind of old idealist :)

my sincere apologies if i hurted feelings with my previous post.

best regards,

-f6k
~{,_,"> insidious LabRat - ftp://shl.huld.re
Lew Pitcher
2020-11-04 22:00:39 UTC
Post by f6k
hello,
Post by Lew Pitcher
Post by f6k
hello
Post by Lew Pitcher
If you are so inclined, send Slackware some money (Pat Volkerding's
patreon account would be the place these days); that might speed
things up a bit.
yes please, anyone who can, send money to Patrick Volkerding; i'm sure
plenty of happy slackers have some extra dollars to send. if so, be
kind, and help the infrastructure and this great work!
but please, anyone, don't say that money will "speed things".
[snip]
Yes, sorry. I meant that Slackware is essentially a one-man-shop, which
means that there's little parallelism in the work. Sending Slackware
some money would let Pat "optimize his workforce" a bit, which might
help speed the process along a bit.
no, please, don't be sorry Lew. that message wasn't meant for you. i
really hope you weren't upset by my post.
Not in the least. We both seem to be saying the same thing. :-)
Post by f6k
again, this message was just a reaction of something i read so often in
the FOSS communities ("if you're not happy, just send money"; which is a
great punch line, i have to admit). but i'd love that newcomers
understand directly, out of the blue, that Slackware, as big as it is,
as famous as it is, is just a real human, community effort.
i guess i'm just some kind of old idealist :)
You and me, both, brother.
Post by f6k
my sincere apologies if i hurted feelings with my previous post.
No offence meant, and none taken.
Post by f6k
best regards,
Luck be with you,
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
f6k
2020-11-04 22:15:36 UTC
Post by Lew Pitcher
Luck be with you,
<3
Ted Heise
2020-11-15 16:35:26 UTC
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 20:52:02 -0000 (UTC),
Post by Lew Pitcher
If you are so inclined, send Slackware some money (Pat
Volkerding's patreon account would be the place these days)...
Done. I've been meaning to do it for the longest time, and had
just let it slide. Thanks for the nudge on this, Lew.
Ted Heise <***@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA
bad sector
2020-11-15 17:24:21 UTC
Post by Lew Pitcher
If you are so inclined, send Slackware some money (Pat
Volkerding's patreon account would be the place these days)...
Done. I've been meaning to do it for the longest time, and had
just let it slide. Thanks for the nudge on this, Lew.
--
Back on my Amiga-1000 I had just managed to connect
to compuserve and immediately stumbled on a comment

"well, I run an x486 on my DIY pc clone with Slackware
linux and the internet and I can do anything I want with
these for free"

Never forgot those words, I didn't know what a 486 was,
or a pc clone, or Slackware linux or the internet for that
matter ..but soon found out, and they changed everything
for me. Alas, being a lazy puke I soon went over to Suse
which had just forked off Slackware, making for the second
mistake of my life (no offense intended). Patreon lets us
return a part of what we got.
Ralph Kane
2020-11-22 21:35:23 UTC
Post by CBM64