slapt-get not working??
R2-D2
2021-03-15 08:18:12 UTC
Hi, I've installed slapt-get:

***@darkstar:~$ installpkg /home/r2-d2/download/slapt-get-0.11.2-i586-1.txz
Verifying package slapt-get-0.11.2-i586-1.txz.
Installing package slapt-get-0.11.2-i586-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# slapt-get (an apt-like front-end to Slackware's pkgtools)
#
# slapt-get is an apt like system for Slackware package management.
# * See /usr/doc/slapt-get-*/ for complete documentation.
# * You will also want to customize /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc,
# using a local mirror. www.slackware.com may be very busy.
# * Support:
# https://github.com/jaos/slapt-get/issues
# * Please translate
# https://www.transifex.com/jaos/slapt-get/
#
Executing install script for slapt-get-0.11.2-i586-1.txz.
Package slapt-get-0.11.2-i586-1.txz installed.

So far, so good. Then I try to execute it:

***@darkstar:~$ /usr/sbin/slapt-get
-su: /usr/sbin/slapt-get: No such file or directory

WTF???

***@darkstar:~$ ls -hal /usr/sbin/slapt-get
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 27K 2021-02-21 22:42 /usr/sbin/slapt-get*

The file is right there, how can it not find it?

Thanks
Ralph Spitzner
2021-03-15 09:28:29 UTC
Post by R2-D2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 27K 2021-02-21 22:42 /usr/sbin/slapt-get*
The file is right there, how can it not find it?
Thanks
some libraries missing try:

ldd /usr/sbin/slapt-get*

an tell us what you get.....
-rasp
R2-D2
2021-03-15 09:37:54 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by R2-D2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 27K 2021-02-21 22:42 /usr/sbin/slapt-get*
The file is right there, how can it not find it?
Thanks
ldd /usr/sbin/slapt-get*
an tell us what you get.....
    -rasp
Thanks Ralph. This is what I get:

***@darkstar:~$ ldd /usr/sbin/slapt-get
not a dynamic executable
Henrik Carlqvist
2021-03-15 17:10:03 UTC
Post by R2-D2
not a dynamic executable
I am not familiar with slapt-get myself, maybe it is a script. But maybe
it is an executable. I did notice that you did install the i586 version
of the package. Are you running 32 bit Slackware? Otherwise you should
probably install an x86_64 version instead or possibly install multilib
to be able to run both 64- and 32-bit applications.

regards Henrik
Ralph Spitzner
2021-03-15 18:55:41 UTC
Post by R2-D2
not a dynamic executable
I second Henrik here, looks like slapt-get is supposed to be a binary, probably
wrong format (32/64 bit) for your system.....
-rasp
Eli the Bearded
2021-03-15 19:07:51 UTC
Post by R2-D2
-su: /usr/sbin/slapt-get: No such file or directory
WTF???
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 27K 2021-02-21 22:42 /usr/sbin/slapt-get*
The file is right there, how can it not find it?
That error can happen for two reasons: one the file itself does not
exist (which you have tested for) or the interpreter for the files does
not exist (which you have not).

Trying to run a 32 bit program on a 64 bit system is one case of
interpreter (possibly) not existing. Trying to run an a.out format on an
ELF system is another case were the interpreter may be missing. A third
case is a missing program on the #! line:

$ cat > /tmp/badbang
#!/no/such/program
^D
$ chmod 755 /tmp/badbang
$ /tmp/badbang
/usr/local/bin/ksh93: /tmp/badbang: not found [No such file or directory]
$

Elijah
------
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 is an interpreter
R2-D2
2021-03-16 10:10:59 UTC
Thanks everybody, I solved the issue reinstalling the previous version of slapt-get:
https://software.jaos.org/slackpacks/slackware64-14.2/slapt-get/slapt-get-0.11.2-x86_64-1.txz

The problem arose because in this package /etc/slapt/get/slapt-getrc contains
this line:
SOURCE=https://storage.googleapis.com/slackpacks.jaos.org/slackware64-15.0/:OFFICIAL

Therefore, at the subsequent run of slapt-get, it reupdated itself with a
version that, looking at the url, might be for Slackware 15 (!!!!!).
Ralph Spitzner
2021-03-16 11:10:23 UTC
Post by R2-D2
https://software.jaos.org/slackpacks/slackware64-14.2/slapt-get/slapt-get-0.11.2-x86_64-1.txz
that slackware 15 reference is one thing, the other as you can see isthat you tried to install
a 32bit package on a 64bit system.....

-rasp
noel
2021-03-20 11:44:21 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by Ralph Spitzner
that slackware 15 reference is one thing, the other as you can see
isthat you tried to install a 32bit package on a 64bit system.....
-rasp
for current/15 i moved to slackpkg, after Robbie and Tadgy's changes its
much more suitable for this decade, too many issues with slapt-get forced
that move, that saidm slapt-get was my choice for a greatmany years.
Henrik Carlqvist
2021-03-20 19:27:29 UTC
Post by noel
for current/15 i moved to slackpkg, after Robbie and Tadgy's changes
its much more suitable for this decade, too many issues with slapt-get
forced that move, that saidm slapt-get was my choice for a greatmany
years.
My favorite to install packages from slackbuilds.org is slpgk. It can be
used to download and install packages also from Slackware mirrors but I
have my own Makefile which installs patches from Slackware.

The nice thing with slpkg is that it also solves dependencies for
packages from slackbuilds.org. Example:

slpkg -s sbo exfat-utils