how to create keyboard shortcuts in slackware
Add Reply
John Forkosh
2020-01-14 12:00:17 UTC
My new (several months old) Teclast f5r laptop has a
very small keyboard without pg-up/dn home/end ins/del etc.
I installed -current64 dual booting with the pre-installed
win10, but haven't been able to find any ctrl-??? or alt-???
keys that act like pg-up/dn etc. So what files do I edit,
and what do I put in them, to create keyboard shortcuts
for all the missing keys?
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
Javier
2020-01-14 17:12:02 UTC
Post by John Forkosh
My new (several months old) Teclast f5r laptop has a
very small keyboard without pg-up/dn home/end ins/del etc.
I installed -current64 dual booting with the pre-installed
win10, but haven't been able to find any ctrl-??? or alt-???
keys that act like pg-up/dn etc. So what files do I edit,
and what do I put in them, to create keyboard shortcuts
for all the missing keys?
Most programs have some alternative of their own. i.e. C-v/M-v in emacs.
Space and shift-space should work in most browsers and pdf readers.

To do it in general I guess you can edit $HOME/.xbindkeysrc and you
will need to keep running xbindkeys. Or try with xmodmap.
Javier
2020-01-14 17:26:03 UTC
Post by Javier
Post by John Forkosh
My new (several months old) Teclast f5r laptop has a
very small keyboard without pg-up/dn home/end ins/del etc.
I installed -current64 dual booting with the pre-installed
win10, but haven't been able to find any ctrl-??? or alt-???
keys that act like pg-up/dn etc. So what files do I edit,
and what do I put in them, to create keyboard shortcuts
for all the missing keys?
Most programs have some alternative of their own. i.e. C-v/M-v in emacs.
Space and shift-space should work in most browsers and pdf readers.
To do it in general I guess you can edit $HOME/.xbindkeysrc and you
will need to keep running xbindkeys. Or try with xmodmap.
This in $HOME/.xbindkeysrc should work (assuming you have function keys)

"xdotool key Next"
control + F12
John Forkosh
2020-01-16 15:16:46 UTC
Post by Javier
Post by Javier
Post by John Forkosh
My new (several months old) Teclast f5r laptop has a
very small keyboard without pg-up/dn home/end ins/del etc.
I installed -current64 dual booting with the pre-installed
win10, but haven't been able to find any ctrl-??? or alt-???
keys that act like pg-up/dn etc. So what files do I edit,
and what do I put in them, to create keyboard shortcuts
for all the missing keys?
Most programs have some alternative of their own. i.e. C-v/M-v in emacs.
Space and shift-space should work in most browsers and pdf readers.
To do it in general I guess you can edit $HOME/.xbindkeysrc and you
will need to keep running xbindkeys. Or try with xmodmap.
This in $HOME/.xbindkeysrc should work (assuming you have function keys)
"xdotool key Next"
control + F12
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I guess I'll have to install xbindkeys
or use (the preinstalled) xmodmap. When I tried googling
"linux keyboard shortcuts" (and similar) before posting,
almost all the hits were about ubuntu, which apparently
has a screen users can navigate to and easily create
all the keyboard shortcuts they want. So I was hoping for
some similar slackware setup, maybe in the extra/ directory,
but nothing like that seems to exist as far as I can tell.

emacs not a problem. I use it and vi(m) a lot, but not so
much on this very small-and-cramped uncomfortable keyboard.
But the f5r's the perfect size to carry along in my Coach
portfolio as a "portable library", with about 6500 pdfs
of papers and books I've downloaded over the years.
Firefox's "preview in firefox" preference works pretty
well, but it doesn't recognize the f5r's touchscreen,
except along the scrollbar. Setting the preference to
"ask" and "open with okular" involves an extra keystroke,
but okular recognizes the touchscreen inside the window.

But neither seem to have an alternate pg-up/dn, at least
not that I could discover by trying pretty much every
conceivable keystroke combination.

P.S. glad to hear you solved your eth0/1 problem.
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
Rich
2020-01-16 19:30:50 UTC
When I tried googling "linux keyboard shortcuts" (and similar) before
posting, almost all the hits were about ubuntu, which apparently has
a screen users can navigate to and easily create all the keyboard
shortcuts they want. So I was hoping for some similar slackware
setup, maybe in the extra/ directory, but nothing like that seems to
exist as far as I can tell.
Check on SlackBuilds (https://slackbuilds.org/). If some form of
keyboard shortcut creation UI does exist, it is more likely to be on
SlackBuilds than be part of the base install.

Otherwise just google for how to use xmodmap to remap keys to perform
the keystroke of a different key.
But neither seem to have an alternate pg-up/dn, at least
not that I could discover by trying pretty much every
conceivable keystroke combination.
If either support something similar to 'less' like navigation, then I'd
try spacebar (for page forward) and/or "b" (page backwards) and "f"
(page forwards).
John Forkosh
2020-01-18 11:14:18 UTC
When I tried googling "linux keyboard shortcuts" (and similar) before
posting, almost all the hits were about ubuntu, which apparently has
a screen users can navigate to and easily create all the keyboard
shortcuts they want. So I was hoping for some similar slackware
setup, maybe in the extra/ directory, but nothing like that seems to
exist as far as I can tell.
Check on SlackBuilds (https://slackbuilds.org/). If some form of
keyboard shortcut creation UI does exist, it is more likely to be on
SlackBuilds than be part of the base install.
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, they seem to have a slackware-ready
install for xbindkeys, and also an lxhotkeys package that looks
like it might be what the ubuntu screen I mentioned above
is based on. But I didn't check that out carefully because...
Post by Rich
Otherwise just google for how to use xmodmap to remap keys to perform
the keystroke of a different key.
...it looks like xmodmap does pretty much everything I'll need.
Post by Rich
But neither seem to have an alternate pg-up/dn, at least
not that I could discover by trying pretty much every
conceivable keystroke combination.
If either support something similar to 'less' like navigation, then I'd
try spacebar (for page forward) and/or "b" (page backwards) and "f"
(page forwards).
Yup, spacebar moves down a screen-full (which may be less than a page
of the document), which pretty much does what I want. And I somehow
missed that during my "experiments". But b-for-backwards does nothing,
and I'm not finding any unmapped alternative (yet).

Thanks again, Ralph and Javier,
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
Eli the Bearded
2020-02-08 22:21:44 UTC
Post by John Forkosh
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, they seem to have a slackware-ready
install for xbindkeys, and also an lxhotkeys package that looks

I like and use xbindkeys, but not for the example "turn shift-F11 into
PgDn" type stuff. I trigger screenshots and screen lock with it mostly.
Post by John Forkosh
...it looks like xmodmap does pretty much everything I'll need.
The computer I'm typing this on lacks dedicated PgUp/PgDn keys but has
them marked on the keyboard arrow keys. Presumably it worked somehow in
the original Windows install. I remapped them xmodmap to be there with
shift:

keycode 111 = Up Prior Up Prior
keycode 116 = Down Next Down Next

It works great in vi/xterms but I get weird results in Firefox, so I
don't end up using that much.

I've got real Insert and Delete keys, which makes it 100% better than a
Mac keyboard and I'm satisfied with that.

Elijah
------
also made capslock into escape for vi ease