Test: NNTP via nc ?
Add Reply
n***@example.net
2018-11-26 17:58:51 UTC
Anybody else doing nc for NNTP ?
Eli the Bearded
2018-11-26 19:54:55 UTC
Post by n***@example.net
Anybody else doing nc for NNTP ?
Doubtful. I have my own inews.c for posting, and some Perl scripts for
fetching articles, headers, and xover information. But usually I use trn
because it's a much better experience.

(By "my own", I mean source originally from somewhere else that I've
modified for my own needs. It originated as the "mini-inews" for use
with nn, and is dated December 1989, about a year and a half before I
started to use Usenet. A quick search finds this version:
http://www.dbnet.ece.ntua.gr/~adamo/makecf/mini-inews/
but that's got ~adamo's personal mods.)

Elijah
------
https://qaz.wtf/src/inews.tgz
n***@example.net
2018-11-27 10:02:31 UTC
Thanks, I fetched the URLs; but I hate perl and gcc for C is too much.
Plus I want to morph it to unrooted Android Tablet. I'll post my
blood-sweated tests from KBOX for interested/collaborating readers.
--------
The User needs a Terminal to <nc Send/Recieve the Server>.
Rx from Server is captured by Tee-ing to a file.
Tx to Server is mouse-pasted from a prepared TemplateList file,
which is a script of lines of:
read -p <quoted text to paste> Go
which shows the LineOfTextToBoPasted for each <CR> keyed.
!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
What I now need is HOW2 replace [or add]
TemplateList script outputs text to <console> by
TemplateList script pipes text to Terminal to be
forwarded to server.
Eli the Bearded
2018-11-27 20:55:49 UTC
Post by n***@example.net
Thanks, I fetched the URLs; but I hate perl and gcc for C is too much.
Perl is not to everyone's taste. Not sure I understand your complaint
against C. I have clang installed on my Android phone and have compiled
both trn4 and inews on the phone.

It looks like there's an nntplib for Python, too, if that's your poison.
Post by n***@example.net
Plus I want to morph it to unrooted Android Tablet. I'll post my
blood-sweated tests from KBOX for interested/collaborating readers.
--------
The User needs a Terminal to <nc Send/Recieve the Server>.
Rx from Server is captured by Tee-ing to a file.
Tx to Server is mouse-pasted from a prepared TemplateList file,
Mouse on a tablet? I suppose it's possible, but that's not a typical
set-up. That UI sounds rather awkward.
Post by n***@example.net
read -p <quoted text to paste> Go
which shows the LineOfTextToBoPasted for each <CR> keyed.
!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
What I now need is HOW2 replace [or add]
TemplateList script outputs text to <console> by
TemplateList script pipes text to Terminal to be
forwarded to server.
I'm unclear what you are asking for.

Elijah
------
thinks this is an old wheel to be reinventing
Rich
2018-11-28 02:32:22 UTC
Post by Eli the Bearded
Post by n***@example.net
read -p <quoted text to paste> Go
which shows the LineOfTextToBoPasted for each <CR> keyed.
!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
What I now need is HOW2 replace [or add]
TemplateList script outputs text to <console> by
TemplateList script pipes text to Terminal to be
forwarded to server.
I'm unclear what you are asking for.
The blob of text which is unclear looks an awful lot like the Chris
Glur troll in the way the text is formatted.

Note the odd capitalization, note the angle bracketed text (some for no
good reason), note the square brackets, note the odd line indentation.
All signs of the Chris Glur troll.
n***@example.net
2018-11-28 00:53:19 UTC
Perl is not to everyone's taste. Not sure I understand your complaint^M
against C. I have clang installed on my Android phone and have compiled^M
both trn4 and inews on the phone.^M
That's fantastic! Can I access NNTP via UNROOTED android v5.1.1 too?^M
I'm unclear what you are asking for.^M
There are 2 threads:
1. confirm that NNTP-access can be done by ash based sytem using nc.
2. port the linux tests to unrooted Android.
Move out of our slackware comfort zone, and imagine that you need to do
NNTP with only a telnet terminal and busybox/ash [the restricted bash]
to read and transfer the relevant text from the relevant RFC.
Do you want to read the RFC and type the text, or copy/paste it?
Or to have the unchanging text of the RFC autoMAGICALLY pipe itself into
the telnet-terminal? So you only need manually enter the <parameters>.
BTW. mouseing-via-text, like ETHOberon, wily, Plan9's acme is the
ultimate. Apart from gpm, wily is my most powerfull/essential linux
utility. OTOH text-mouseing the Android Tablet is a distant aim,
after having NNTP access.
Thanks for any input.
PS. you do realise that I'm NOW accessing NNTP, via a <USBstik linux>
on a M$pook laptop, using only nc and ash facilities?
Eli the Bearded
2018-11-28 02:00:35 UTC
Post by n***@example.net
Post by Eli the Bearded
Perl is not to everyone's taste. Not sure I understand your complaint
against C. I have clang installed on my Android phone and have compiled
both trn4 and inews on the phone.
That's fantastic! Can I access NNTP via UNROOTED android v5.1.1 too?
On a non-rooted Android 6 device, I installed Termux:
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.termux/

Then inside termux installed the compiler and build tools and started
the regular trn4 compile. This ran into issues with /bin/sh not existing
(sh is in a different directory under termux). That was the hardest part
of the compile. There were a couple of other things like disabling the
/etc/passwd user lookups and a bison hiccup I think. But it built
and worked. I posted details to news.software.readers about a year ago:

I have no experience trying it on Android 5.
Post by n***@example.net
Post by Eli the Bearded
I'm unclear what you are asking for.
1. confirm that NNTP-access can be done by ash based sytem using nc.
nc probably does the heavy lifting, but yeah, I think it could be done.
Post by n***@example.net
2. port the linux tests to unrooted Android.
Move out of our slackware comfort zone, and imagine that you need to do
My comfort zone goes far beyond Slackware. I turned to slack very late
and only because I was looking for something easy to install with my
custom GUI preferences. (Don't start X automatically, and use my very
custom X11 startup.)
Post by n***@example.net
Do you want to read the RFC and type the text, or copy/paste it?
I have read the RFC, and can probably stumble all the way through
"mode reader" "group group.name" "article XYZ" by memory with telnet.
I recall how to do an ihave, too, but not a post. I'd have to look that
up. Huh, look at that. My news server answers for "help". Who needs to
go to RFCs? Not me.
Post by n***@example.net
Apart from gpm, wily is my most powerfull/essential linux
utility. OTOH text-mouseing the Android Tablet is a distant aim,
after having NNTP access.
Wily? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wily ? Never used it. Vim with
fallback to vi with fallback to ed is my preference.
Post by n***@example.net
PS. you do realise that I'm NOW accessing NNTP, via a <USBstik linux>
on a M$pook laptop, using only nc and ash facilities?
I can tell from your posts you are NOT using regular software. The
threading shows up as slightly broken (probably no References: header)
in trn4. Also extraneous whitespace and ^M at the end of lines in your
quoted text.

Elijah
------
has posted by telnet before but not recently
Chris Vine
2018-11-28 11:20:38 UTC
On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 00:53:19 -0000 (UTC)
<***@example.net> wrote:
[snip]
Post by n***@example.net
PS. you do realise that I'm NOW accessing NNTP, via a <USBstik linux>
on a M$pook laptop, using only nc and ash facilities?
And it doesn't work because it is stripping out the references field.
Each of your posts starts a new "thread" on a news reader with a
threaded display. Much better if you stopped.

Aside from that, the content of your posts is unintelligible.
Eli the Bearded
2018-11-28 19:43:35 UTC
In alt.os.linux.slackware,
Post by Chris Vine
And it doesn't work because it is stripping out the references field.
Each of your posts starts a new "thread" on a news reader with a
threaded display. Much better if you stopped.
In threaded rn (trn), it shows as the same thread but with an unknown
parent:

[1] Test: NNTP via nc ?

(1)--(1)
-(1)--(1)--(1)
-(1)+-(1)
\-[1]

(1) vs [1] shows "read" status, with [] marking new, unread. The number
indicates the version of the subject, going into letters if there are
enough variations (I've seen that happen). Missing articles show with
a space instead of a number, that happens a lot with the mozilla.*
groups, I expect because of message IDs getting changed between
mail/news and the references header having both.

Trn is under-the-hood 1980s code, so it's getting long in the tooth. It
can just barely cope with UTF-8, and improving that would be a huge
effort.[*] BUT it has the best threading I've ever seen.

Elijah
------
[*] Input and output are totally decoupled as a speed optimization for
very slow modems, so charset smarts needs to operate on a character at
a time function calls and do it's own caching of the stream to
verify UTF-8 or translate other character sets. It copes with UTF-8
(with -j switch) by not molesting it, but it doesn't know where to
wrap lines or truncate strings.