twm fails in 14.2: help?
Mike Spencer
2019-10-15 06:51:23 UTC
Installing Slackware 14.2 on a P4 Dell (Dimension 4700).

twm fails if I include in ~/.twmrc the lines:

ForceIcons

Icons {
"UXTerm" "vlines2"
"Xterm" "vlines2"
"Firefox" "vlines2"
}

to make app-supplied icons go away, replaced with boxes just big
enough to hold the window name.

I've used this on a newish laptop with 14.1 and a P4 Panasonic "Toughbook"
with 14.2 where it works as expected.

On this Dell, with those lines in .twmrc, the pop-up icon manager goes
away, colors and other features specified in .twmrc are absent.

It's as if those lines were a syntax error and nothing else in .twmrc
was executed/implemented. And that seems to be exactly the case!

If I move those lines to the *end* of .twmrc, colors, iconmanager
etc. are correct but the intended effect of eliminating the
app-supplied icons doesn't occur.

Playing with the items in the Icons variable causee *some* of the icons
to behave as desired but not all. There's no clear connection between
"window names" in the list and window names as they appear on the
window title bars.

On my existing 14.1 and 14.2 systems, those lines seem to work across
the board, causing *all* icons to to be rendered as minimal boxes
regardless of the name that appears in the title bar.

I *must* be missing something. Any ideas?
--
Michael Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada .~.
/V\
^^-^^
Henrik Carlqvist
2019-10-15 19:01:02 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
I've used this on a newish laptop with 14.1 and a P4 Panasonic
"Toughbook" with 14.2 where it works as expected.
On this Dell, with those lines in .twmrc, the pop-up icon manager goes
away, colors and other features specified in .twmrc are absent.
It's as if those lines were a syntax error and nothing else in .twmrc
was executed/implemented. And that seems to be exactly the case!
Did you try to copy the file from your working Panasonic machine to the
Dell machine? Maybe you got some characters in your broken file like DOS
end of line <CR><LF> or other invisible characters breaking the file.

regards Henrik
Mike Spencer
2019-10-16 02:35:30 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
I've used this on a newish laptop with 14.1 and a P4 Panasonic
"Toughbook" with 14.2 where it works as expected.
On this Dell, with those lines in .twmrc, the pop-up icon manager goes
away, colors and other features specified in .twmrc are absent.
It's as if those lines were a syntax error and nothing else in .twmrc
was executed/implemented. And that seems to be exactly the case!
Did you try to copy the file from your working Panasonic machine to the
Dell machine? Maybe you got some characters in your broken file like DOS
end of line <CR><LF> or other invisible characters breaking the file.
Very good! I *was* missing something. I had copied .twmrc from the 14.1
system to the new 14.2 install. Fail. Manually messed with .twmrc.
Still fail. Hence the plea here on aols.

At yr suggestion, copied .twmrc from the working 14.2 system to the
new 14.2 system. Works as expected.

Have yet to determine just what detail(s) were problematic.
Temporary, awkward setup with cables, extension cords and machines all
over the kitchen, non-ergonomic chairs, mess. Will try to figure out
exactly what the error/problem was when it's all set up where I don't
get a crick in my neck from typing.

Thank you very much!

Please see next post under "Emacs, Alt, Meta" for my remaining problem
with this new 14.2 install.

Tnx,
^^-^^
n***@moo.uklinux.net
2019-10-17 21:17:53 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
Very good! I *was* missing something. I had copied .twmrc from the 14.1
system to the new 14.2 install. Fail. Manually messed with .twmrc.
Still fail. Hence the plea here on aols.
At yr suggestion, copied .twmrc from the working 14.2 system to the
new 14.2 system. Works as expected.
Have yet to determine just what detail(s) were problematic.
Well, if you have two text files, one working one not, but with
mysteriously hard to see differences, why not try the diff command
on them?

#Paul
Mike Spencer
2019-10-18 05:51:17 UTC
Post by n***@moo.uklinux.net
Post by Mike Spencer
Very good! I *was* missing something. I had copied .twmrc from the 14.1
system to the new 14.2 install. Fail. Manually messed with .twmrc.
Still fail. Hence the plea here on aols.
At yr suggestion, copied .twmrc from the working 14.2 system to the
new 14.2 system. Works as expected.
Have yet to determine just what detail(s) were problematic.
Well, if you have two text files, one working one not, but with
mysteriously hard to see differences, why not try the diff command
on them?
It's not as easy as that. The non-working file has been (fruitlessly)
tweaked, twiddled and hacked (see "manually messed" supra) so it's
obviously different from the working one.

At some point I'll go back and reconstruct what happened but not until
the main goal of this effort -- newly built HD w/ 14.2 for my main box
-- is done and I can do it all from a comfortable chair rather than a
too-low straight chair and a B&D Workmate among a tangle of cables in
the kitchen.

Done this before with a dialup script that worked on a serial port but
not on a USB-to-serial adapter. Eventually found a single character
-- a '\r' before ATZ -- that was handled differently by the adapter.
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada